Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 05:49 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
right - I've been holding off on even applying because it is just a ridiculous process. 6 months, 200$/5 yrs, etc. I am probably just going to go through with it.. I have no reason to be declined but waiting half a year to get the permit? that's nuts.

have you gone through the process? any tips?
Oh, don't forget the 4 separately notarized references you need with the application. Find 4 friends that you want to know you are considering a gun, have them fill out the form AND get it notarized. I found that to be the straw that kept me from getting a permit. Two of my friends who I didn't mind knowing were cops so I figured I'd ask them, but lo, the rule says the references cannot be nassau police officers! Incredible. Then they can deny you for any reason without refunding your money. The "make you wait" part is a given. The bottom line is they have absolutely NO DESIRE to give permits to anyone outside of sponsored jobs like security and police.

So as they say, only criminals can have handguns in NY.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 08:12 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times
so don't even bother? :\

Old 07-28-2010, 05:59 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
Same with me, I am not even going to bother. We need massive reforms ... and fast.

Of course, if you are a politician or a celebrity then I bet they fast track your application and allow you concealed carry.

Old 07-28-2010, 06:04 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times
I'm pretty upset that you can't even rent a handgun without a permit.

Old 10-21-2012, 05:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,501 times
Default Nassau Handgun Permit

Nassau County is a strange bird. I've been shooting handguns and rifles in NJ for years without any permit with a friend whose been in the Secret Service for 26 years.

I finally decided to apply for my Nassau County Handgun TARGET permit last year since I live here and it took 9 full months before it came through. I thought that was bad.

Last time I went to the PD to register a new handgun, they told me that due to the forced retirement of so many officers, the current wait for a handgun permit in Nassau County is... wait for it... TWO YEARS!!! They blame NY state because there is a huge delay in getting back the psychiatric background check from NY State.

You can actually make two new citizens in the time it takes Nassau County to process the paperwork!!

Old 10-21-2012, 08:13 PM

192 posts, read 298,366 times
But Nassau crime is not bad, because of this. It is protecting the people.

Old 10-22-2012, 03:06 AM

106,671 posts, read 108,833,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongoose65 View Post
Oh, don't forget the 4 separately notarized references you need with the application. Find 4 friends that you want to know you are considering a gun, have them fill out the form AND get it notarized. I found that to be the straw that kept me from getting a permit. Two of my friends who I didn't mind knowing were cops so I figured I'd ask them, but lo, the rule says the references cannot be nassau police officers! Incredible. Then they can deny you for any reason without refunding your money. The "make you wait" part is a given. The bottom line is they have absolutely NO DESIRE to give permits to anyone outside of sponsored jobs like security and police.

So as they say, only criminals can have handguns in NY.
they check with your wife too just in case she objects.

they told my fiends wife she would be alot safer with her husband with a gun in his hand then she is in a car with him behind the wheel according to his driving record . ha ha ha

Old 10-22-2012, 06:05 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,688,180 times
They will do anything to discourage you as far as a pistol is conserened

Old 10-22-2012, 08:24 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,997,960 times
To K:

Shotgun for the house and range (quick, before they change the law).
Rentals in Vegas and Florida. Cheaper and more fun. Forget the pistol. They rent submachine guns!

I remember firing an armory worth of guns at a crazy biker party in New Hampshire. I said "don't the cops get upset about you guys shooting off AK's, assault rifles and even a cannon" (yes, an actual CANNON) and they said "see that goofy guy in the fishing hat firing the uzi?...that's the Sheriff!" Strange dudes. One of the bikers made the best lamb cubes I ever ate. As they got drunk they got increasingly paranoid about another gang and being from Brooklyn, I sensed it was high (literally) time to make a hasty exit. Good food and gun fun though while it lasted!

Old 10-22-2012, 09:09 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,894 times
There is currently another NC lawsuit involving guns, this time because the idiot Chief said that the state-mandated 6-month maximum time limit for permit "started when they say it started". Currently there is up to a FOURTEEN MONTH WAIT FOR INTERVIEW. After the interview the 6-month clock starts. So 20 months to get a permit.

Remember, pistol ownership is a CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: