Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2010, 08:28 AM

294 posts, read 609,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellwood View Post
I watched the car in front of me weave over the lines, slow up, speed up. I knew they had to be texting. Sure enough, passed her up, she was texting AND smoking a cigarette. Not sure who was steering!
I'll repeat - why isn't this kind of behavior being treated as seriously as drunk driving? Recent studies are indicating that you might even be more of a danger texting/talking on your cell versus being somewhat buzzed on booze.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2010, 07:42 PM

86 posts, read 193,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
BTW...texting while driving is what they call a "secondary" offense, which means the cops can't pull you over soley for texting while driving, they need to stop you for something else as well and then get you for the texting on top of the other charge.
I just read that in the DMV handbook.
You read wrong.

Old 08-03-2010, 08:31 PM

5,509 posts, read 7,102,385 times
I think they give out as many tickets for driving while using cellphones as they do for dark tinted windows. Both are against the law yet you witness it everyday.

Old 08-06-2010, 07:52 AM

86 posts, read 193,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYTom View Post
I think they give out as many tickets for driving while using cellphones as they do for dark tinted windows. Both are against the law yet you witness it everyday.
Its easy enough to sell a person on a cell phone but I'm sure when people see a MARKED police vehicle sudenly they put the phone down.

Old 08-06-2010, 08:56 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,654 times
Quote:
I have dark tinted windows and I don't get harassed except when I go into NYC. I don't do anything else illegal, though. Never do two illegal things at once

Old 08-06-2010, 09:50 AM

7 posts, read 18,736 times
Maybe someone can shed some light to this question? Hands free- its ok to be on the phone hands free so both hands are on the wheel right? Hence not holding the phone. Then why is ok for people to smoke- they have to use their hands, eat in the car- they have to use their hands. Lighting up in the car youre distracted for about the same amount of time to dial a number, one hand is taken off the wheel to hold the cigarette back and forth to your mouth, phone is held up to ear at all times. It just doesnt make sense to me.

Old 08-06-2010, 09:56 AM

939 posts, read 2,310,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkbutterfly View Post
Maybe someone can shed some light to this question? Hands free- its ok to be on the phone hands free so both hands are on the wheel right? Hence not holding the phone. Then why is ok for people to smoke- they have to use their hands, eat in the car- they have to use their hands. Lighting up in the car youre distracted for about the same amount of time to dial a number, one hand is taken off the wheel to hold the cigarette back and forth to your mouth, phone is held up to ear at all times. It just doesnt make sense to me.
ny'ers are used to only driving with one hand... the other needs to be free to give people the finger

Old 08-06-2010, 10:10 AM

339 posts, read 933,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Never do two illegal things at once
Haha, I actually saw a "triple play" of sorts of traffic violations.

Behind a guy in a turn lane with a 'no U-turn sign' and a red light arrow. Arrow turns green and:

1. Guy has no turn signal on.
2. Guy makes an illegal u-turn.
3. I look over and the guy is on his cell phone.

Old 08-06-2010, 10:29 AM

10,420 posts, read 10,822,779 times
Quote:
I see at least 10 people a day texting and driving. Why do they think nothing of it? They are putting themselves and US at risk every time they whip that phone out. Do the cops even try to enforce this? If they would enact a $250 fine for every offense the state would be able to balance the budget!
They do not want to contribute to the gene pool.

Old 08-06-2010, 12:10 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,813,762 times
Quote:
People are stupid and arrogant. It's the same thing that makes a 20 something wannabe Paris Hilton in an Escalade tailgate me while she can clearly see I have a toddler in my back seat. It doesn't cross her mind for a second what damage would result if I had to stop short and she rear ended me. It's arrogance, cockiness, manifestation of "attitude", carelessness.
You're correct on the "stupid and arrogant", but I'm not sure having a toddler in the back seat makes her actions any worse or better. Would it be OK for her ro rear-end you if you didn't have a toddler in the backseat?

Safe driving is safe driving, whether toddlers are (potentially) involved or not. Cars without toddlers in them deserve the same safety precautions from other drivers as the ones who do.

Quote:
Because smoking a cigarette is a "mindless" activity and people do it without engaging their brains, while talking on the phone, even if you are keeping your hand still, involves thinking about what you're saying, which = that much less concentration on the road.

I was once in a car with someone driving a stick shift who answered his cell phone! Think about it: three things needing a hand (wheel, stick, phone) and two hands. And it's not as if we were going down a highway in one gear with no turns; it involved stoplights, turns, changing gears, etc. He chose to mostly steer with his KNEES just in order to answer the phone, which was certainly not an emergency because I could him just saying "Oh, not much, yeah, what about you, blah blah." If not for the fact that he was doing me a favor by giving me a ride home, I'd have blessed him out, but I had to grit my teeth until I got dropped off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island