Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 06:53 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,070 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michelabella View Post
AndreaII - Where in Wheatley Heights did your friends live?
It was so long ago, I don't remember their exact address. They were very clear it was Wheatley Heights though - they didn't live in Wyandanch, but the school district they were in was definitely Wyandanch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
And Wheatley Heights is not a fancy name for Wyandanch. Its NOT the same.... you don't have to have a college degree to tell the difference, just drive around the area!
My husband has friends who live in Wheatley Heights - these friends actually call the area Dix Hills. Wishful thinking on their part.

You're right, you don't need a college degree to see that the areas are different and not superimposed on each other. But, Wyandanch would be a little too close for comfort for me. The prices in those areas reflect what the areas are worth. You know what they all say, location, location, location.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:07 PM

177 posts, read 470,866 times
and school districts ;-)

Old 08-17-2010, 02:55 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,455,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
It was so long ago, I don't remember their exact address. They were very clear it was Wheatley Heights though - they didn't live in Wyandanch, but the school district they were in was definitely Wyandanch.
Looking at MLSLI some homes are advertised as Wheatley Heights even though they actually are not in Wheatley Heights.

The only homes that are in Wheatley Heights that are in the Wyandanch School district is about 12 homes in a triangle that forms between Straight Path, Portland Way and Main Ave, with Portland Way & Main Ave being HHH on one side of the street and Wyandanch on the other. Other than that the HHH/ Wyandanch school district border follow exactly along the Wheatley Heights/ Wyandanch border.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:09 PM

Quote:
and school districts ;-)
All I'm trying to do is steer people to a better area. If you want to live in Wheatley Heights go ahead, it doesn't matter to me one way or the other. It sounds as if you're sold on the area. If so, that's great. I still think it would be a good idea to check out some other areas too - until you look you won't really know what's out there.

If I had a very limited budget I'd try and get the most out of it and do my homework looking for the best house, area, and school district that I could find.

Deer Park, Wyandanch, Wheatley Heights - not my cup of tea. Perhaps there are the edges of East Northport per se that are included in HHH school district - again finding the edges takes a little work, but the payoff will be large in QOL.

Old 08-17-2010, 03:31 PM

Where else would you suggest?

Old 08-17-2010, 03:39 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,678,557 times
Default A map of the Hamlet of Melville in the Town of Huntington, Suffolk County

Much of Melville is in the Half Hollow Hills Central School District.

A map of the Hamlet of Melville in the Town of Huntington, Suffolk County:

The Hamlet of Melville has a different border than does the "Melville, NY 11747" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Melville, NY 11747" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Melville): places that have a "Melville, NY 11747" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Melville are in the Hamlet of West Hills and the Hamlet of South Huntington.

Old 08-17-2010, 04:40 PM

I have looked in Melville. The lot sizes are alot smaller than the ones in Wheatley Heights. Walter - Are you familiar with Wheatley Heights? It seems that some areas are better than others... do you know which are the nicer areas? The neighborhoods I have driven through (off Burrs Lane and the area south of Melville, off of Colonial Springs Road) seem very nice. Are they good or am I missing something?

Old 08-17-2010, 05:04 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,678,557 times
No. I am not familiar with what are considered the better areas in Wheatley Heights.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Where else would you suggest?
I believe there are parts of Huntington also in HHH, perhaps near Dunlop Road, etc. I know the prices are high, but again you may find a diamond in the rough where the price is very negotiable -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island