Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 02:59 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Yes, Census could be wrong; but, if the house on Louisa Court is not in the Village of Northport (i.e., subject to the Village of Northport property tax/taxes), then it ain't in Northport.
It's not in the Village...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 03:04 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
It's not in the Village...
Then, as I posted earlier ...

Quote:
According to the Census Bureau's online address search function, Louisa Court is in East Northport ("Northport, NY 11768" mailing address).

Old 08-10-2010, 12:01 AM

3,669 posts, read 6,575,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Oh please don't give that advice to people. I'm having flashbacks to 2003-2008.
If you don't agree you don't agree. I however stand behind my advice and for any credible argument you might offer other than "don't" I can offer a valid counter point.

Northport Village is the real deal. There's a price premium associated with it but if you have the appetite and wherewithal to accept that fact it's worth it.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:03 AM

111 posts, read 431,761 times
Will check with the realtor again verify. Is it possible to be in Northport and not northport village or is it one in the same? The house was only 2 minutes from heart of the village, it was very close. I still think it was a nice location. For me not being in the village (not paying village taxes) and being really close to the village is a plus. I already pay village taxes and sometimes its worth it and sometimes its not.

Old 08-10-2010, 09:05 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
If you don't agree you don't agree. I however stand behind my advice and for any credible argument you might offer other than "don't" I can offer a valid counter point.

Northport Village is the real deal. There's a price premium associated with it but if you have the appetite and wherewithal to accept that fact it's worth it.
We've covered in other threads. LI still, on the whole, has extremely high rates. The average family is still unable to adequately afford to live here with enough cushion. Prices still need to come down before I'd start telling people to "buy buy buy".

Old 08-10-2010, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by akitasun View Post
Is it possible to be in Northport and not northport village or is it one in the same?
If the property is not in the Village of Northport, then, even though it may have a "Northport, NY 11768" mailing address, that property is not in Northport.

Places that have a "Northport, NY 11768" mailing address that are not in the Village of Northport are in the Hamlet of Eatons Neck, the Village of Asharoken, the Hamlet of Fort Salonga, the Hamlet of East Northport and the Hamlet of Centerport.

You can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) that house is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that house's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP, or Census Designated Place, is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

And, very importantly, among other things, the Census Bureau's online address search function also indicates in which school district an address is located.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:26 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,759,873 times
Louisa Court is not in Northport Village, however it has a Northport mailing address, which is why it is listed as Northport. To answer your question, it's a nice area over there but to many it is not as desirable as being in the village.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomMoser View Post
Louisa Court is not in Northport Village, however it has a Northport mailing address, which is why it is listed as Northport.
On LI, You Ain't Where You Think You Are, rev. 2 may help those, who are not familiar with the problem, understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

Old 08-10-2010, 12:37 PM

111 posts, read 431,761 times
I just checked and the house and most of that particular area is zoned for the Dickenson Elementary school, which is a E.NP School. I like this area, since its very close to the village.

Does anyone have any information on the Dickenson Elementary School. I've done my research but its always nice to hear from an actual person.

Thanks

Old 08-10-2010, 12:44 PM

3,351 posts, read 9,759,873 times
Dickenson is a good school, as are all the other elementaries in SD 4. One issue with the school is it's design. It was build in the 60's when the "pod" design was popular. As a result, during the winter the kids sometimes need to put on their coats and go outside to change classes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island