Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2010, 02:26 PM

111 posts, read 431,728 times

Advertisements

Nothing wrong with the last post that was sent, anyway no need to go further, not worth the trouble for either one of us.

Everyone has their own opinion and the manner in which they share that opinion, some good some bad.

Signing off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2010, 04:27 PM

3,669 posts, read 6,574,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
We've covered in other threads. LI still, on the whole, has extremely high rates. The average family is still unable to adequately afford to live here with enough cushion. Prices still need to come down before I'd start telling people to "buy buy buy".
The thread is about Northport, you're talking about oranges, y'know what I mean? I said that if the original poster had the money to do so they should buy in Northport. It's no bargain but it is a great, great place to raise a family.

There certainly are other threads covering the cost of living on Long Island and how it's reached a point that's untenable. I didn't relocate away for the thrill of the experience, let's just leave it at that. However if we had the money to stay on Long Island we would still be happily ensconced in Northport Village.

Old 08-10-2010, 04:39 PM

4 posts, read 15,561 times
Hi, I have been visiting the forum now for the past 6 or 7 months and this is my first post.

The local elementary school to where you are looking to purchase a home is my old, old school. And yes, Dickinson Avenue Elementary has walkways between the classrooms. However, in my opinion, you should not let that detract you from buying a home in the area.

I attended Dickinson Elementary, Kindergarten through 6th grade. And I concur with earlier commenters that the school was designed, on purpose, in a 'California-Style' theme where main buildings are connected with breezeways or pathways. However, the California part is not referring so much to Southern California weather, but more the California 'back-to-nature' movement of the time when the school was originally built. The school of thought then, was to surround the students with nature. And having an outdoor break or two each day would be a positive experience for the children. As mentioned already, most of the walkways, maybe today - all of them, were covered by a 'carport type' roof. No sides, but you were protected from most of the elements. But not the cold. Funny, but I don't remember the cold. As I recall you only walked outside once or twice a day to go to the cafeteria or library. Mostly you stayed in your 'pod', which was a group of classrooms in one building.

From my personal childhood experience at Dickinson, I would say, the back-to-nature element of the school design is a overall positive and something to be embraced. I can still remember leaning out from under the pathway roof to catch snowflakes, or stopping with some friends to shove acorns in our pockets because all little boys need acorns, or on the occasional beautiful day having class held outdoors in one of the many courtyard areas the school had. Was it detrimental or helpful to my education? Who knows. But the overall experience of having to go outside once or twice a day did leave me with some great childhood memories and hopefully a greater appreciation for nature. Hopefully todays students are still catching snowflakes, with of course, their mittens on…

BTW, a plus for that home, the Town of Huntington just acquired an old, unused highway right-of-way in that area and have plans to make it into a hiking trail.

Best of luck on your home search.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:04 AM

The design of the school wouldn't deter me from buying in that area, like most of us it comes down to money and what you can afford. Regarding Northport I haven't really read a bad post, I don't want to get into the logistics of where the zip code is becuase at this point its early in the game for me.

I also appreciate the post from Makamah regarding the school and the memories they have. That was useful information.

In short the area I visted was nice, it had hills and trees, was a short drive to the village.
The commute to NYC maybe a pain but probably worth it for living in the location.

Also the taxes were 5k less than I pay now, so thats a big plus.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:19 AM

24 posts, read 50,816 times
Northport is a dump! Everything seems about 30 years behind, including the roads!!!

Old 08-11-2010, 08:22 AM

If Northport is a dump, what would you consider a nice town in Long Island?

Old 08-11-2010, 09:10 AM

939 posts, read 2,311,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akitasun View Post
The commute to NYC maybe a pain but probably worth it for living in the location.
you'd be a quick drive to the northport train station, and it's not a bad ride in... i've been doing it for 18+ years... the lirr ride in is about an hour, ten minutes

Old 08-11-2010, 10:05 AM

I take the LIRR now so the commute from Northport to Penn will be 15 miuntes longer than I do now. probably 1 1/2 hr door to door, not great but pretty much as I excpected.

Thanks for the info..

Old 08-11-2010, 10:28 AM

939 posts, read 2,311,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akitasun View Post
I take the LIRR now so the commute from Northport to Penn will be 15 miuntes longer than I do now. probably 1 1/2 hr door to door, not great but pretty much as I excpected.

Thanks for the info..
fwiw, the town parking sticker allows you to park not only at northport, but greenlawn, huntington and cold spring harbor lots as well...

huntington has more service, especially on the off peak hours... so if you know you're coming home late you can always shoot over to huntington in the morning

Last edited by ENFD240; 08-11-2010 at 10:40 AM..

Old 08-11-2010, 10:39 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,759,118 times
Many people drive to Huntington and go from there. It is the end of the electrified line, so you don't need to change trains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island