Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 08:21 PM

815 posts, read 2,044,835 times

Advertisements

I know that this has been discussed before. What are the alternatives to subscribing to Cablevision and what government entity is in charge of regulating their services? I sit down tonight to watch something on Ch. 140 (ESPN Classic) only to find out that I now am not authorized to view Ch. 140. Apparently they took it out of the package that I always had, and it is now part of a 'Sports Package' at additional charge per month. No notification, just termination.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2010, 09:42 PM

1,786 posts, read 3,448,827 times
I actually saw a FIOS commerical about that "upcoming" change in Cablevision about a month ago while out at my parents. I only picked up on it since they don't have DVR and was thus watching live TV which is rare for me - and thus captive of commercials. They too have Cablevision, and due to various health issues they are experiencing, I will need to be spending a great deal more time in their house.

Therefore, since I will be looking for internet access out there too as part of a package, I am interested in the replies that your thread generates as to what other options are out there.

Old 08-07-2010, 09:56 PM

188 posts, read 414,643 times
I have Verizon FIOS and have never looked back. Cablevision is awful!

Old 08-07-2010, 11:11 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,292,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisel17 View Post
Totally agreed. But the poor folks out in Crookhaven are stuck under the Dolan's Iron Fist.

Old 08-07-2010, 11:21 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,230,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisel17 View Post
Love FIOS too, just the interface to search or On Demand is so far superior to Cablevision it is worth it alone (not to mention NFL Network). I am sure we are going to be subject to these battles bewteen channels and the providers moving forward and FIOS will probably get pulled into it eventually too.

Old 01-06-2011, 05:17 AM

2 posts, read 16,764 times
Let's put this in perspection. Since the 90's Cable TV in Connecticut has been hijacked by Cablevision. They are a monopolized company that bullies your family for your viewing pleasure. Ironically their names includes "vision", but they clearly did not see the internet coming. The way of the future is the world wide web and viewing tv, news and movies are all available though this wonderful medium. Most stations can be streamed right through your computer or other devices like Roku, XBox, Playstation 3, etc... For a one time fee or like Netflix, $8.99 a month.

It's time to show Cablevision who pays their bills... we the people... Stand up, speak up and SHUT OFF!!!

Old 01-06-2011, 06:39 AM

903 posts, read 3,565,269 times
We changed to Fios over a year ago. We had a couple of bill issues the first couple of months but otherwise have been happy. We also pay less than we did with cablevision.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:29 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,101,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JParadis View Post
Let's put this in perspection. Since the 90's Cable TV in Connecticut has been hijacked by Cablevision. They are a monopolized company that bullies your family for your viewing pleasure. Ironically their names includes "vision", but they clearly did not see the internet coming. The way of the future is the world wide web and viewing tv, news and movies are all available though this wonderful medium. Most stations can be streamed right through your computer or other devices like Roku, XBox, Playstation 3, etc... For a one time fee or like Netflix, $8.99 a month.

It's time to show Cablevision who pays their bills... we the people... Stand up, speak up and SHUT OFF!!!

We have netflix on Wiihow do you get the rest of the channels

Old 01-06-2011, 08:01 AM

25 posts, read 120,728 times
I had a number of problems with Cablevision. My Cablevision telephone service was horrible. I hated the dropped channels. Internet service was slow and intermittent. I switched to Fios and I am very happy with the service.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:21 PM

259 posts, read 448,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastrudy View Post
I know that this has been discussed before. What are the alternatives to subscribing to Cablevision and what government entity is in charge of regulating their services? I sit down tonight to watch something on Ch. 140 (ESPN Classic) only to find out that I now am not authorized to view Ch. 140. Apparently they took it out of the package that I always had, and it is now part of a 'Sports Package' at additional charge per month. No notification, just termination.
That was done when they re-negotiated a deal with disney. They took classic out but added some other channels from disney. Too bad we still cant get fios in the Town of Crookhaven.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island