Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 04:23 PM

1,917 posts, read 7,080,482 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about Locust Valley? I know nothing about it.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2007, 03:38 AM

Even Sea Cliff...tell me more about there too!

Old 06-28-2007, 11:04 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,639,012 times
I would go with Sea Cliff or Glen Head over Locust Valley. Better schools, location closer to highways, Northern Blvd, etc. LV does have a great little downtown. It's basically a pretty nice area surrounded by estate-type areas.

Sea Cliff and Glen Head will offer you more space, but will cost more. Sea Cliff has a ton of beutiful old Victorian homes. North Shore SD is supposed to be excellent. It is NOT Glen Cove.

We looked up there. A bit out of the way, but nice. We took if off the list b/c we were confused thinking that it was in Glen Cove SD. We were wrong.

Old 06-28-2007, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCGuy View Post
I would go with Sea Cliff or Glen Head over Locust Valley. Better schools, location closer to highways, Northern Blvd, etc. LV does have a great little downtown. It's basically a pretty nice area surrounded by estate-type areas.

Sea Cliff and Glen Head will offer you more space, but will cost more. Sea Cliff has a ton of beutiful old Victorian homes. North Shore SD is supposed to be excellent. It is NOT Glen Cove.

We looked up there. A bit out of the way, but nice. We took if off the list b/c we were confused thinking that it was in Glen Cove SD. We were wrong.
Just took a ride to Sea Cliff today and LV. I think I preferred Sea Cliffs location and houses even. I think we would get more for our $ there than LV anyway.

Yes, North Shore schools. Dont seem phenomenal but seem pretty good. Anyway, IF we did move there, the taxes would be a lot less than GC and we would get more space...so we could always use a private school if we didnt care for the PS. But I looked on greatschools and it seems the SC district it pretty good.

If you knew that it was NS schools and not Glen Cove, would you have moved there? What do you like about Sea Cliff? I know its incorporated, which I like a lot.

But the location for us isnt ideal. Thats the main downfall once again. I really have to decide, more property over more ideal location. Hmmmm......

Also, what train line would my DH take to the city from Sea Cliff?

Old 06-29-2007, 10:22 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,639,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2bhere View Post
Just took a ride to Sea Cliff today and LV. I think I preferred Sea Cliffs location and houses even. I think we would get more for our $ there than LV anyway.

Yes, North Shore schools. Dont seem phenomenal but seem pretty good. Anyway, IF we did move there, the taxes would be a lot less than GC and we would get more space...so we could always use a private school if we didnt care for the PS. But I looked on greatschools and it seems the SC district it pretty good.

If you knew that it was NS schools and not Glen Cove, would you have moved there? What do you like about Sea Cliff? I know its incorporated, which I like a lot.

But the location for us isnt ideal. Thats the main downfall once again. I really have to decide, more property over more ideal location. Hmmmm......

Also, what train line would my DH take to the city from Sea Cliff?
I doubt I would have moved there over GC, but it would not have been crossed off the list as quickly. Since the schools are better, I would rate it up there with GC, RVC, Northport, and some others. It seems like a very nice area and you are surrounded by nice areas, too. They do have septic, I think...

Last edited by Keeper; 03-19-2008 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: name change

Old 05-17-2010, 06:51 PM
cml

180 posts, read 288,516 times
Locust Valley is a very nice area no bad parts at all very wealthy neighborhoods, good schools, there is a nice downtown with some stores. Only problem is that there is no much to do except for the bayville arcade and the mini golf. There is very nice golf course by the high school but I think it is private. good choice.

Old 05-18-2010, 05:51 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,493,870 times
Sea Cliff more expensive than Locust Valley?

Old 05-18-2010, 10:08 AM

1,724 posts, read 4,012,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cml View Post
Locust Valley is a very nice area no bad parts at all very wealthy neighborhoods, good schools, there is a nice downtown with some stores. Only problem is that there is no much to do except for the bayville arcade and the mini golf. There is very nice golf course by the high school but I think it is private. good choice.
No bad parts? Ever drive down 13th street or the blocks around it? Stay away from that little area and you're golden.

Old 05-18-2010, 12:20 PM

654 posts, read 2,111,007 times
My brother lives in Sea Cliff and loves it. He says the people are very friendly and very into supporting ther town. They have a lot of community events like the town wide garage sale in June and the mini-mart in October. Good times!

Old 05-18-2010, 12:28 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,553,426 times
Default A map of the Hamlet of Locust Valley in the Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County

The geography of Locust Valley can be very, very confusing because Locust Valley is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where the majority of places -- about 5 out of every 6 places -- with the community name as part of their mailing address (4,673 acres) are not in the hamlet (626 acres).

A map of the Hamlet of Locust Valley in the Town of Oyster Bay, Nassau County:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/50/Locust-valley-ny-map.gif (broken link)

Places that have a "Locust Valley, NY 11560" mailing address but are not in the Hamlet of Locust Valley are in the Village of Lattingtown, the Village of Mill Neck and the Village of Matinecock.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island