Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-14-2010, 09:29 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
According to the police website they now consider a swastika to be a universal hate symbol -- it is no longer considered solely an anti-semitic statement.

Backwards -- yes, that was pretty moronic in that backwards it was considered something of a peace symbol in certain western? Indian tribes.

Whoever did this did it fast and without thinking.
Your use of the word "tribes" leads me to believe you're referring to Native Americans, which wouldn't be the case. However, the swastika is a symbol in Hindu, which is widely practiced in India. It's a symbol of peace and well-being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Wasn't there some animal rights violations going on recently in Selden? It was either a family killing their neighbors pets or the family was keeping a house full of animals under unsanitary conditions.
A Selden woman was indicted on charges of [URL="http://www.wpix.com/news/wpix-pet-cemetery-charges-folo,0,7715128.story"]animal torture[/URL].
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2010, 11:33 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,437,200 times
The swastika, backwards forwards or upside down will never again be thought of as anything but a symbol of hate. it is irredeemable. What ever significance it once may have held by Native Americans or Hindus or what ever group has been relegated to obscurity by the Holocaust and the Nazi and neo-Nazi parties.
It is used now as a symbol of hate towards non-white groups.

Yes the woman who was found with all of the abused in her care and a back yard full of animal corpses was also from Selden. Child protective services was also involved as she reportedly had her children participate.
Very sad.

Old 08-15-2010, 08:39 AM

311 posts, read 1,019,301 times
You stay classy Selden

Old 08-15-2010, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Eeurocentric? That is very interesting since I am the one who is so hard on "my own people" i.e. the White Christians who came here and dislike and abuse every other group that has come after them.
Asians and East Indians have done a wonderful job of achieving in America. Eastern Europeans have as well. I am neither Asian nor Eastern European in ancestry, BTW. However one of my children as adopted from Korea. And I am in the process of adopting another child from Ukraine and yet another not White child from the US foster care system.
Mt problem in life? Bigoted ethnocentric white western Europeans who espouse hate for Hispanics, Asians, Indians, and Eastern Europeans.

I HATE absolutely hate Etnocentricism as practiced by many - not all western Europeans people - people of Western European descent who have families who have been here for 75 years or more and still call them selves some type of hyphanated Americans, hate the President because he is black and did better than they did, espouse yje English only movement and other forms of veiled racism.

THAT is my issue.

And yes it may be sad, but the swastika has become a symbol of hatred,

You're missing my point. Your wording--"Native Americans or Hindus or what ever group"--makes you sound like the stereotypical suburban Long Island Christian white chick who can't tell the difference between Native Americans and Indians and doesn't deem learning to be worth the effort.

Also, you are seeing the swastika as a Westerner, not as millions of other people see it. By insisting that your way of seeing it--as the Nazis used it--is the only way it is to be seen and declaring your view of it as universal fact, you are cavalierly ignoring that those who practice Hindu, the third largest religion in the world, use the symbol another way. Between 850 million and 1 billion people in the world, nearly a sixth of the world's population, use the swastika as a symbol of peace and well-being.

You can claim social progression all you want, but if this discussion is any indication, you're viewing the world through glasses clouded by a milky white sheen.

But hey, to bring this back to topic, apparently the skels who painted the swastikas on that family's house were pretty clueless. Haters usually are.

Last edited by Yzette; 08-15-2010 at 01:58 PM..

Old 08-15-2010, 03:32 PM

615 posts, read 544,821 times
It is probably a fake hate crime, one of her family members probably did it. Reminds me of Twana Brawley (SP?) in the 80's.

Old 08-15-2010, 06:50 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Your use of the word "tribes" leads me to believe you're referring to Native Americans, which wouldn't be the case. However, the swastika is a symbol in Hindu, which is widely practiced in India. It's a symbol of peace and well-being.
THE COLLECTOR’S GUIDE: THE HISTORY OF AN ANCIENT HUMAN SYMBOL

Not to dispute your information, but to orient you as to where I was coming from.

Old 08-15-2010, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
[URL="http://www.collectorsguide.com/fa/fa086.shtml"]THE COLLECTOR’S GUIDE: THE HISTORY OF AN ANCIENT HUMAN SYMBOL[/URL]

Not to dispute your information, but to orient you as to where I was coming from.
Gotcha. Thanks.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:59 AM

13,768 posts, read 38,183,403 times
This is the LI forum.. so keep your post about Long Island. This is not the forum to discuss religion or politics.

Stay on topic. Attempts to hi-jack threads by switching topics or going off topic will be deleted and infractions issued. This is not a chat room - when people hi-jack threads by posting messages that are of interest to only few people, the threads often stop being useful discussions of initial topics.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:17 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,174 times
[quote=sheena12;15467807]Many problems with Selden and places like it.Working class white Christians are some of the most intolerant people you will ever find. And that is what you have in Selsen and places like it. People with what is called "strong family systems" - very close to extended family, highly traditional, very gendered families, very close to their ethnic roots tend to not enjoy other ethnic groups who come later.
It is the get off the boat and kick the plank behind you syndrome.

So you're claiming that white Christians are whats wrong with Selden? Please explain how white christians live in other areas yet don't have the same problems?

Old 08-16-2010, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
So you're claiming that white Christians are whats wrong with Selden? Please explain how white christians live in other areas yet don't have the same problems?
The vast majority of residents in Selden are white. That's really about it to her statement, from what I can see. It's a working-class area (if Wiki is accurate, average household income is $58K). I go there now and then because there's a respectable, well-run bird shop there where I get supplies, and I can say that Selden has a few run-down areas.

My sister used to live there a loooong time ago, and although it's not known as a war-zone by any stretch, it's shifty enough in places that she didn't like it. Like, you'd want to flip or detach the face plate of your car stereo if you were to park in one of the shopping centers.

And not for nothing, but when I was looking for apartments after my lease was up in Babylon, I got a lot of input from the man, who is in LE (not one of the ever-maligned cops, though). Granted, he's extra paranoid, but I figure he knows more about where criminals live than I do.

"Here?"

"No. Bad area."

"Here?"

"Yes. That's a good area."

"Here?"

"Skelden? No."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island