Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2010, 10:08 PM

122 posts, read 210,916 times

Advertisements

Watching the News, I came across a very recent hate crime in Selden, where a Puerto Rican family had moved into the house owned by the husband's mother, and someone set it on fire, damaged their cars, and painted swastikas in the garage doors.

The police investigation targeted as a hate crime. Anyone knows what happened?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2010, 10:38 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Many problems with Selden and places like it.Working class white Christians are some of the most intolerant people you will ever find. And that is what you have in Selsen and places like it. People with what is called "strong family systems" - very close to extended family, highly traditional, very gendered families, very close to their ethnic roots tend to not enjoy other ethnic groups who come later.
It is the get off the boat and kick the plank behind you syndrome.

It is not just Selden - you would find similar attitudes in other blue collar burbs - Port Jeff Station, Centereach, Shirley. Levittown in Nassau county has long been such an area.

There was a show on TV back in the 70s called "All in The Family" with a character named Archie Bunker who today would be complaining about illegal aliens and very uncomfortable with the Spanish language and the increasing amount of Hispanics and Asians on Long Island.

On the show Bunker lived in Flushing Queens. Today he would live in Selden - or someplace like it.

Old 08-14-2010, 02:22 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,767,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Yeah thats exactly it. Its not because a bunch of jerk-offs decide to be morons, its because evil white christians did it.

And yeah, kick the plank behind you. This is a melting pot, not oil and water.

Some of what she said is true. Selden and Centereach are changing and the older residents don't like it. I've driven a cab in the area and the changing demographics is bringing a bit of anxiety to many of the residents.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:57 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
The house is on a main road and the family moved into the mothers house -- in other words, there was already an Hispanic presence at that home.

According to WPIX online news:
Quote:
However, a resident, identified as Alex Robles, who lives in the Selden home, located at 601 Hawkins Road, said he believes the attack stemmed from a "personal vendetta."
Selden has had a growing Hispanic and non white population -- I doubt this is a hate crime. The swastikas were probably placed on the garage to throw the investigators off track. There's more to this story that either Mr Robles or the SCPD aren't revealing.

Old 08-14-2010, 04:19 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times
The crime actually showed the intelligence level of the idiots who committed the crime. #1- swastikas are usually used for defacing jewish not puerto rican homes or belongings. #2- the morons did it backwards. I guess it shows the mindset of an inbred, white supremacist. I guess it's their strong inferiority complex that makes them do such stupid acts. They need to just leave long island and go where they belong...way down south !!!! S*C*H*M*U*C*K*S !!!!

Old 08-14-2010, 07:10 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
The crime actually showed the intelligence level of the idiots who committed the crime. #1- swastikas are usually used for defacing jewish not puerto rican homes or belongings. #2- the morons did it backwards. I guess it shows the mindset of an inbred, white supremacist. I guess it's their strong inferiority complex that makes them do such stupid acts. They need to just leave long island and go where they belong...way down south !!!! S*C*H*M*U*C*K*S !!!!
According to the police website they now consider a swastika to be a universal hate symbol -- it is no longer considered solely an anti-semitic statement.

Backwards -- yes, that was pretty moronic in that backwards it was considered something of a peace symbol in certain western? Indian tribes.

Whoever did this did it fast and without thinking.

Old 08-14-2010, 07:27 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
[quote=Lancet71;15475178]The crime actually showed the intelligence level of the idiots who committed the crime. #1- swastikas are usually used for defacing jewish not puerto rican homes or belongings. #2- the morons did it backwards. I guess it shows the mindset of an inbred, white supremacist. I guess it's their strong inferiority complex that makes them do such stupid acts. They need to just leave long island and go where they belong...way down south !!!! quote]

Oh, please. I lived in the South for 23 years and never felt the racial tension I feel up here.

A skel is a skel is a skel, and there are plenty of skels on ol' yank Long Island, New York. In fact, there is a reason Selden is known as Skelden. It's a shifty town with shifty people.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 08-15-2010 at 09:10 PM..

Old 08-14-2010, 08:45 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,767,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Oh, please. I lived in the South for 23 years and never felt the racial tension I feel up here.

A skel is a skel is a skel, and there are plenty of skels on ol' yank Long Island, New York. In fact, there is a reason Selden is known as Skelden. It's a shifty town with shifty people.

Wasn't there some animal rights violations going on recently in Selden? It was either a family killing their neighbors pets or the family was keeping a house full of animals under unsanitary conditions.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:09 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,473,399 times
Ahh the good old superiority complex of LI shows its head yet again.

Old 08-14-2010, 09:17 PM

339 posts, read 933,156 times
There's stupid people everywhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island