Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 03:00 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,769,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza89 View Post
For the money that we spend on transportation to and from Manhattan, why can't the MTA provide some sort of alternative service for the folks who commute from LI? If you live in NJ, there's at least a shuttle and there's buses that can be taken if the trains are down.

What happened tonight shouldn't be happening and it's not fair to the commuters who pay through the ass to get stranded for hours on end, with no alternative.

I pay $232 for my monthly pass and the MTA wants to go ahead and raises the fares come January?! Is it me, or are we paying more and more for less and less service?

Stop being a drama queen! It's just like if your car breaks down or there is a terrible accident on the LIE, life happens, deal with it! We can't blame the system on those rare unfortunate events. I think the MTA and LIRR did a decent job. Believe me, that's coming from someone who thinks the LIRR SUCKS compared to the better run Metro-North.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 04:21 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,669,992 times
I'm sure that things are a bit off this morning, although it seems that trains are running by me in Lindenhurst at a decent frequency. They cant be doing that bad today.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:29 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,633 times
I made sure I got to the station about 15 minutes earlier. I caught an earlier train and it took about 15 minutes extra to get in. My train up to Jamaica wasn't too full (though it was a Brooklyn bound train). Overall, not too bad this am.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:22 AM

38 posts, read 94,291 times
Thanks to this fiasco I learned a totally new way of commuting from Manhattan to Nassau and might consider doing it on a regular basis to save a lot of money!

I took the E train to the last stop which is Jamaica Center. Then I got on the N4 LI Bus which runs down Merrick Road stopping in Rosedale, Valley Stream, Lynbrook, etc. all the way to Freeport. All of this for the cost of one MetroCard fare for only $2.25 because you can transfer from the subway to the bus for free. If I did this every day, it would only cost $90 a month instead of $285 for my combined MetroCard/LIRR ticket. And it only took an extra 15 minutes compared to my normal LIRR/subway commute.

Old 08-24-2010, 11:22 AM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
I'm sure the people who were stranded during the day feel differently, but kudos to LIRR for getting things mostly under control in time for the evening rush.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:06 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragazza89 View Post
For the money that we spend on transportation to and from Manhattan, why can't the MTA provide some sort of alternative service for the folks who commute from LI? If you live in NJ, there's at least a shuttle and there's buses that can be taken if the trains are down.

What happened tonight shouldn't be happening and it's not fair to the commuters who pay through the ass to get stranded for hours on end, with no alternative.

I pay $232 for my monthly pass and the MTA wants to go ahead and raises the fares come January?! Is it me, or are we paying more and more for less and less service?
This is exactly why I felt that we should have commuter buses similar to that in NJ. All we have is Hampton Jitney and we all know how expensive they are and as well they dont service most LI'ers as well, they gear to the snobby clientele out east.
The MTA currently runs alot of express buses in NYC, many of which are poorly patronized. What should happen is those routes should be eliminated in favour of express buses for Long Island. There would be quite a few different routes. Unlike the city express buses, I have a feeling these would be patronized quite well, especially ones that serve towns not exactly on the LIRR, like East Meadow, Levittown, Plainview, Happaugue,etc.
The MTA always likes to take a big dump on LI, treating us the worst of all the areas they serve. I know I'm sick of it. NJ has express buses and trains. Why not Long Island?
And dont tell me its because of limited entrances into Manhattan, not when NJ has EXACTLY TWO tunnels into Manhattan. NJ Transit runs an extensive network of buses to the suburbs, its time MTA look at NJT as an example of a well run transit system!

Old 08-24-2010, 08:08 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,322,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldyone View Post
Ask yourself what were to happen if something like this were to happen again and LI Bus was shut down due to lack of funding? Would the MTA run their buses all the way to the Suffolk county line?? I doubt it very much
This is exactly why LI Bus must continue running! I was in the city the other day, and saw a bunch of express buses, all mostly empty! They should cut express buses before LI Bus!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island