Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2010, 04:29 PM

6 posts, read 14,994 times

Advertisements

Hi sorry just to clarify, this is not in an area that floods heavily?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2010, 04:43 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,787,758 times
The area that floods all the time when it rains is south of there, on Route 110, near the King Kullen and the Daniel Gale RE office. Where Park Ave, Route 100, and Mill Dam Road all come together. To say the water table is high there is an understatement. If there is a heavy rain, expect that area to be impassible.

I've never heard of the area you are talking about being prone to flooding. I have no idea why so many houses are/were for sale there, it's probably a coincidence. Maybe a lot of empty nesters or something.

Old 08-24-2010, 06:25 PM

325 posts, read 737,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by violet1183 View Post
Hi sorry just to clarify, this is not in an area that floods heavily?
It's not an area that floods. Too high up. During heavy rains 110 will flood, and you'll have to take Huntington Bay Road to 25A to get around it. Not a big deal. They've made major improvements, and the floods are far less frequent and drain quickly.

It's a great family friendly area and I'd imagine the high number of homes for sale is just a coincidence. While it gets a bad rap, the school district is just fine, comparable to South Huntington #13 (although not as well regarded as neighboring Harborfields, which is just a couple streets over). The district is actively working to improve the safety issues that have pulled its reputation down and is no longer bussing students into bad neighborhoods in Huntington Station, now that the Jack Abrams School has been closed.

Again, great neighborhood, easy access to the village and harbor. If you like the house, go for it!

Last edited by h-tonian; 08-24-2010 at 06:45 PM..

Old 08-24-2010, 06:32 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,150,229 times
Quote:
Hi, my husband and I are first-time homebuyers looking for homes in Huntington and we have seen a few nice homes on Old Town Lane. In doing some research, I notice there are 3-4 houses on the market right now on that block, as well as a few more that have sold recently as well on that block. Statistically it would seem like a very high turnover of homes on that specific block. Does anyone know anything in particular about this area? It seems like a beautiful area, but I don't want to judge a book by its cover. I know that generally Huntington school districts are not held in as high regard as some of the surrounding areas (Harborfields), but I'm concerned more about this specific block/area - a high number of recent break-ins, flooding, etc. Thanks!

Currently, there are three houses available - one has had same owner for over 40 years, the other two were recent purchasers, but both for less than they paid for it. I would say "life happened" to those two; more coincidence than anything else. (Coincidentally, two of those listings are with agents in my company LOL)

As far as flooding is concerned, too high up for the streets to flood IMHO. However, as twingles pointed out, several streets south of there is a problem area that they've been working on forever...

Old 08-24-2010, 06:37 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,235,931 times
Quote:
Hi, my husband and I are first-time homebuyers looking for homes in Huntington and we have seen a few nice homes on Old Town Lane. In doing some research, I notice there are 3-4 houses on the market right now on that block, as well as a few more that have sold recently as well on that block. Statistically it would seem like a very high turnover of homes on that specific block. Does anyone know anything in particular about this area? It seems like a beautiful area, but I don't want to judge a book by its cover. I know that generally Huntington school districts are not held in as high regard as some of the surrounding areas (Harborfields), but I'm concerned more about this specific block/area - a high number of recent break-ins, flooding, etc. Thanks!
I lived a few blocks away from Old Town (Cliftwood) for two years. You will not have any flooding problems on Old Town Rd. , but it's steep over there, getting in and out of the neighborhood on snowy days can be a challenge.
Your options for going anywhere south (LIE, Northern State) from Halesite are taking 110 or parallel streets through the village (add extra 10 mins on weekends), or driving through the town to Woodbury Road (about 3-4 miles one lane before it widens).
If heading east on 25A, that left turn on Fort Hill can take forever, and it's kinda dangerous.

I won't get into a discussion about the schools, but as you probably know already Huntington does bus the kids all over .
You probably know all the good things about Halesite since you're looking ...visit in winter when it snows, really beautiful.

Old 08-24-2010, 07:54 PM

6 posts, read 14,994 times
Thank you all so much for your feedback- i started doubting myself but this was just the reassurance i needed!

Old 08-25-2010, 01:46 PM

405 posts, read 1,770,294 times
We looked at a house on Old Town last year. Loved the location; the house just needed too much work. It sold shortly after we saw it. The owner was ill and *in* the house when we toured it; definitely someone who had been there forever. I'm sure all the sales are just a coincidence. Two houses on my street sold last year and another 2 are on the market right now. The current 2 are both retirees who have lived here forever but are looking to relocate. Our house was owned by folks whose business fell through and had to relocate. See? Nothing scary. Proceed! halesite is lovely.

Old 08-25-2010, 06:41 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,290 times
Just a point of trivia - Old Town Lane is part of a neighborhood that was originally built on a golf course. My aunt and uncle had a house on that very road, and my cousin is thinking of moving back to that neighborhood.

Old 08-25-2010, 07:02 PM

570 posts, read 1,215,023 times
Huntington became heavily populated in the 50's. Growth was incredible for years after that. So, the parents who bought back then are now in their 70's-80's and the kids are in their 50's -60's. Figure that housing now for sale is due to aging/death or retiring/moving.

Huntington schools get a bad rap due to the station problems. But kids get an excellent education with lots of course choices in the high school and sports, arts, music are tops. Graduates go to all the Ivy schools and very good universities and colleges.

Old 12-14-2010, 09:28 AM

92 posts, read 432,918 times
Old Town Lane is fine. It is in the Marble Hills section. I live on Noyes Lane which connects to Old Town Lane and Ketewomoke. Flooding is only at NY Ave and Creek Road. If really bad it spreads south on 110. No need to worry. Old Town Lane has nice flat property as opposed to my street and Ketewomoke which dive down towards 110. As far as why houses are suddenly for sale, just a coincidence. I can tell you that on my block which was developed in the mid to late 60's, there are many original home owners and although there hasn't been much turnover on my block, many of these people are retired now and I assume will look to leave in the next 5-10 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island