Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2010, 05:44 AM

335 posts, read 935,032 times

Advertisements

Home Appraisal question:

does the home appraiser take into account the posted "Fair Market Values" or other specific "Comp information" that the Nassau Cty. Tax Assessor records and posts on mynassauproperty.com?

I would assume that they would take it into account in order to gauge what other assessors are thinking about the property as well?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2010, 03:46 PM

166 posts, read 532,812 times
That's a tough question to answer since I don't think appraisers disclose that. From looking at two appraisals I had to do when I bought last year because of switching lenders, they didn't "copy" what mynassauproperty.com uses. In fact, they both had different appraisal numbers, and used only 1 overlapping comparable since it was a near direct comparable to the house I bought during the same time period. Other then that, every other comparable wasn't exactly simular. What they all do, including mynassauproperty.com was basically use whatever nearby sale, and normalize the sale price. Very subjective, but I guess there is a science to it. The highly subjective part was which property they used to normalize.

Old 08-30-2010, 03:55 PM

335 posts, read 935,032 times
thanks.

I was wondering whether the appraisers that work the comps and fair market values for mynassauproperty are using basically the same "methodologies" and such as bank appraisers? Essentially what I am trying to figure out is whether the county appraiser's work is generally in-line with the methodology of independent bank appraisers and thus "relatively" apples-to-apples...???

Old 04-13-2013, 10:57 AM

21 posts, read 66,148 times
They are supposed to take all fair market values into account. Some appraisers won't give fair value and won't use comps that sell a certain number for no reason at all. That is how James Becker bagged me in our deal. The guy is clueless. Watch out for him
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island