Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 10:55 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,300,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Westchester is also (and has been) one of the wealthiest counties in NYS as well as the US -- a fact which probably had a strong influence as to what would be developed (museums, historic sites, community theater and dance) and who was or wasn't moving there. The wealthy supported the arts, while the working class soldiers, returning from war and in need of inexpensive housing, settled on LI. Completely different breeds of people. Go into more affluent communities on LI and you will see people who have more in common with those in somewhat affluent parts of Westchester.
Nassau and Suffolk are also always among the wealthiest counties lists in NYS and the nation. How did that happen if we are so "lesser than" as compared to Westchester? Westchester also is not ALL mansions and splendor. They have their middle class and plain old crappy areas too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Just like to point out the biggest and largest growing threads on the LI boards are a debate on if LI is devoid of culture and Why Long Islanders complain all the time.. I read and post on three C-D boards. the NY boards is where I find the friendliest posters, the Westchester boards is where I find the most enlightened and helpful posters and the LI boards is where I find the biggest complainers but sometimes most interesting debates from posters. On the LI boards they can complain about anything. On the NY boards the only thing that they are really sensitive about is any disrespect to the Bronx.
I like to complain and debate. Yes, I admit it!

So sue me.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:27 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,712,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Nassau and Suffolk are also always among the wealthiest counties lists in NYS and the nation. How did that happen if we are so "lesser than" as compared to Westchester? Westchester also is not ALL mansions and splendor. They have their middle class and plain old crappy areas too.
I went by wealth per capita.

New York locations by per capita income - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Yes, Westchester has Mount Vernon, which isn't the bastion of White Kings of Industry and Finance, but overall, Westchester has some high dollar property and borders some nice areas in CT, too.

Old 09-21-2010, 03:04 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,768,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I believe it would have been best if I added "When they were younger" -- we're talking late '70's and very early '80's. Sorry about that! When you're a teen, those 5 star restaurants and coffee shop poets aren't high on the 'to do' list. However, of everyone I knew up there, my cousin is the only one who remains and she is pulling in a very good salary as a buyer for a high end retailer. She has a fabulous home which has been in the family for a very long time. The rest have scattered across the US post college, but live in areas remarkably similar to Chappaqua in aesthetics and economics.

The remainder of my extended family is a little further north in Duchess county. Others are scattered between Rockland and Orange. Growing up south shore Nassau, I have to admit envying all of my cousins' environs - sylvan and hilly, horses, large yards, spacious homes....such a contrast from Massapequa!

I have a place in VT and spend part of my time with my business up there. One thing I certainly do miss when I am up there is the smell of the salt water in the air. And older gentleman I met in VT (moved there from Great Neck over 50 years ago) says he misses the open sky -- even in a treed area on LI we still have some good visibility as opposed to the canopy of trees up north. Granted, things clear up as the trees drop their leaves, but sometimes a hill or mountain impedes one's view of the horizon.

Long Island's post WWII development was poorly planned and should be held up as a model of what not to do everywhere else. The unchecked growth and lack of infrastructure to support it is the bane of most LIer's existence and may very well prevent people from heading into NYC to enjoy the arts as the Westchesterites do. Westchester is also (and has been) one of the wealthiest counties in NYS as well as the US -- a fact which probably had a strong influence as to what would be developed (museums, historic sites, community theater and dance) and who was or wasn't moving there. The wealthy supported the arts, while the working class soldiers, returning from war and in need of inexpensive housing, settled on LI. Completely different breeds of people. Go into more affluent communities on LI and you will see people who have more in common with those in somewhat affluent parts of Westchester.

It irks me that LIers are labeled complainers -- there are many of us who do not do so -- we just can't be heard over the squeaky wheels!

I am sorry to be going off on tangents.

Like I said in a previous post, LI posters bring up interesting points and debates. I have to admit it probably is the smell of the sea air that keeps us here. After all the aggravation and insanity there is just something about this place that make you say, "this is home."

Old 09-21-2010, 03:10 PM

Quote:
I like to complain and debate. Yes, I admit it!

So sue me.

LOL! That's why we love ya!

And BTW, did you have to put up those smiley faces? JK, just another Long Islander complaining.

Last edited by 1nevets; 09-21-2010 at 03:45 PM..

Old 09-21-2010, 03:43 PM

Quote:

Seriously, you're going to compare the housing stock and wealth of Westchester to Long Island? Long Island has pockets of wealth. Westchester's wealth is evident on any parkway or road that you drive on in that county. Take the Hutch from North New Rochelle to 684 all the way to Putnam County. That route is just endless miles of muti-million dollar estates and mansions with a nice sprinkling of fortune 500 companies in the Purchase-Harrison area.. Even the Gold Coast has to stand and take notice. The city of Mount Vernon (a ghetto) has an area, "Fleetwood" which is wealthier than the typical towns on LI. Being more expensive doesn't make Westchester better. Westchester was just lucky not to have the topography that was easy for land developer to make cheap, mass produced housing developments.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:31 PM

20,043 posts, read 20,844,919 times
I like Westchester County.

Old 09-21-2010, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Seriously, you're going to compare the housing stock and wealth of Westchester to Long Island? Long Island has pockets of wealth. Westchester's wealth is evident on any parkway or road that you drive on in that county. Take the Hutch from North New Rochelle to 684 all the way to Putnam County. That route is just endless miles of muti-million dollar estates and mansions with a nice sprinkling of fortune 500 companies in the Purchase-Harrison area.. Even the Gold Coast has to stand and take notice. The city of Mount Vernon (a ghetto) has an area, "Fleetwood" which is wealthier than the typical towns on LI. Being more expensive doesn't make Westchester better. Westchester was just lucky not to have the topography that was easy for land developer to make cheap, mass produced housing developments.
Oh please. Let's can it with the Westchester worship, okay? I love these self-appointed "wealth" experts who probably don't even have a hooptie to drive. (In general those are the biggest know-it-alls on wealth ... those who have none.) LOL.

See this:

The Wealthiest Towns in America: Where the Rich Live - BusinessWeek

Quote:
In fact, while the wealthiest towns are found in a number of states across the country, there was, perhaps unsurprisingly, a fair amount of clumping. For example, nine towns on Long Island's North Shore made the list: Brookville, Lloyd Harbor, Munsey Park (Manhasset), Muttontown, North Hills, Old Westbury, Oyster Bay Cove, Roslyn Estates, and Sands Point.
Out of 25 towns, 9 are on LI. Guess how many in Westchester? One. Scarsdale. So how does that equate to (let me quote) "Seriously, you're going to compare the housing stock and wealth of Westchester to Long Island?" Uh yeah. I am going to compare it and EXCEED IT GREATLY.

Now let's take a look at the 50 most expensive small towns in America:

Most Expensive U.S. Small Town: Sagaponack, N.Y. - BusinessWeek

Most of them are on Long Island. Guess how many in "spectacular" Westchester? Not even worth mentioning.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Oh please. Let's can it with the Westchester worship, okay? I love these self-appointed "wealth" experts who probably don't even have a hooptie to drive. (In general those are the biggest know-it-alls on wealth ... those who have none.) LOL.

See this:

The Wealthiest Towns in America: Where the Rich Live - BusinessWeek

Out of 25 towns, 9 are on LI. Guess how many in Westchester? One. Scarsdale. So how does that equate to (let me quote) "Seriously, you're going to compare the housing stock and wealth of Westchester to Long Island?" Uh yeah. I am going to compare it and EXCEED IT GREATLY.

Now let's take a look at the 50 most expensive small towns in America:

Most Expensive U.S. Small Town: Sagaponack, N.Y. - BusinessWeek

Most of them are on Long Island. Guess how many in "spectacular" Westchester? Not even worth mentioning.
It's funny how Long Islander have such an insecurity about their wealth. This makes me laugh because I remember back when the NY housing market was at an all time high. The NY Times put out an article that the median price of a home in Westchester was just under 1 million dollars. The highest for any county in the country. The only readers annoyed by this revelation were Long Islanders. Some letters wanted to prove the facts wrong or bragged about how expensive their homes were. It reminds me of the above post. You won't find residents from Westchester trying to prove how wealthy they are. If it makes you feel any better Nassau County has a higher median income and lower poverty rate than Westchester.

Old 09-21-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:

BTW, you're correct. I have to work two jobs to afford by house in Wading River. So I am a poor slob who doesn't search the internet for facts trying to prove my area is wealthier than another area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island