Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2010, 02:58 PM

325 posts, read 737,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
You've previously posted that you live in Cold Spring Hills which is in West Hills, not Huntington.
A) It's creepy and odd that you feel the need to announce where I live.

B) You are again displaying your ignorance, while presenting yourself as some kind of authority.

C) Thank you, I know where I live.

Both Cold Spring Hills and West Hills are "in Huntington." We're not only in the Huntington 11743 zip code (used by EVERYONE except census wonks) but part of the larger Huntington community that includes Cold Spring Harbor, Centerport, Northport (and all their incorporated villages). It's not uncommon for people from all these places to say they are "from Huntington."

D) Yes, CS Hills is located in the "Hamlet of West Hills" (located in the Town of Huntington). This is meaningless in any practical sense. It's also part of the Cold Spring Harbor Fire District and a large chunk is technically in Woodbury. That doesn't mean my neighbors or I live in CS Harbor or Nassau County.

E) If you're this unfamiliar with an area beyond obscure planning maps, maybe you shouldn't post in related threads?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
I think he meant the "greater" Huntington area which Cold Spring Hills is part of.
He knows what I meant, as does anyone familiar with the area. Thanks for recognizing this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyfreesia View Post
h-tonian what you're saying in your posts is the reason for the question posed in this thread. and I agree with your point of view!
It's kind of interesting that those who expressed a, "culture? on Long Island???",attitude also tended not to show an interest in the offerings that have been posted.
Agreed. It's funny how people would rather stick their heads in the sand, perpetuate stereotypes, and be miserable rather than take advantage of everything our home has to offer.

Last edited by h-tonian; 09-19-2010 at 03:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2010, 04:23 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by h-tonian View Post
B) You are again displaying your ignorance, while presenting yourself as some kind of authority.
Actually, it's you that is displaying ignorance.

Quote:
You think you do; but, your thinking is ill informed.

Quote:
Both Cold Spring Hills and West Hills are "in Huntington." We're not only in the Huntington 11743 zip code (used by EVERYONE except census wonks) ...
Geographic illiterates use such terminology when they find that they have been using incorrect geography and are embarrassed and reluctant to admit same.

Quote:
... but part of the larger Huntington community that includes Cold Spring Harbor, Centerport, Northport (and all their incorporated villages). It's not uncommon for people from all these places to say they are "from Huntington."
So, now, according to you, the Village of Northport is part of "greater Huntington", rather than Centerport, Northport, Asharoken, Eatons Neck, East Northport and Fort Salonga being part of "greater Northport"?

Old 09-19-2010, 09:04 PM

177 posts, read 416,337 times
Hi Walter! I've read your posts when reading LI City-Data and find them to be very helpful in orienting me,or anyone considering Long Island or a new section of it,to live. And you posted some excellent suggestions too!

So.
Did any of you saying there was a lack,or even absence(!),of such experiences on Long Island attend any of them?

Old 09-20-2010, 12:05 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,006 times
Quote:
Actually, it's you that is displaying ignorance.

You think you do; but, your thinking is ill informed.

Geographic illiterates use such terminology when they find that they have been using incorrect geography and are embarrassed and reluctant to admit same.

So, now, according to you, the Village of Northport is part of "greater Huntington", rather than Centerport, Northport, Asharoken, Eatons Neck, East Northport and Fort Salonga being part of "greater Northport"?
Ignorance is bliss walter. I bet he doesn't live there...probably in the "Danch"

Old 09-20-2010, 12:22 AM

17 posts, read 82,738 times
Quote:
Maybe you should go outside and check?

Old 09-20-2010, 12:41 AM

Quote:

Exactly how have I demonstrated "geographic illiteracy?" Please reread my response, particularly part "D."

If you haven't grasped the nuance of my posts by now, I'm not sure you're going to. I've pretty much said all I need to.

Quote:
Yes. If you were from the area or spent any regular amount of time with people from the area you'd understand this.

Last edited by h-tonian; 09-20-2010 at 12:54 AM..

Old 09-20-2010, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyfreesia View Post
Hi Walter! I've read your posts when reading LI City-Data and find them to be very helpful in orienting me,or anyone considering Long Island or a new section of it,to live. And you posted some excellent suggestions too!
If he randomly replied to one of your posts on an unrelated topic and announced the neighborhood you live in (from information culled from other threads) and insisted you and the rest of its residents were illiterates, you might feel differently. Does anyone else find this creepy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
Ignorance is bliss walter. I bet he doesn't live there...probably in the "Danch"
I don't know what "the Danch" is, but I can guarantee you I'm a lifelong Huntington resident. Grew-up in Cold Spring Harbor have been raising a family in Cold Spring Hills for almost 25 years. I'm always happy to accurately answer any questions about the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartlypretty View Post
Maybe you should go outside and check?
I did! Still Huntington! Checked my mail, Google maps, GPS, DEED and TAX BILL!!! Still Huntington!

Last edited by h-tonian; 09-20-2010 at 01:13 AM..

Old 09-20-2010, 07:24 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Quote:
I did! Still Huntington! Checked my mail, Google maps, GPS, DEED and TAX BILL!!! Still Huntington!
On LI, You Ain't Where You Think You Are, rev. 2 may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

Old 09-20-2010, 07:37 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
It is funny how people from all over western Suffolk will say they are from HUntington. When I went to college I'd have conversations all the time that went like this:

Other Person: Where are you from?

Me: Long Island

OP: Me too! What town?

Me: Huntington. HOw about you?

OP: I'm from Huntington too! What HS did you go to?

Me: Huntington - how about you?

THis is where it would get interesting - I heard everything - Elwood, Half Hollow Hills, Harborfields, Northport, even Commack! These People always seemed intrigued to meet someone who actually went to HUntington High School, LOL.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:12 AM

748 posts, read 2,888,231 times
Here is one example of culture in Long Island. Events at Eisehower park 2008 Summer Schedule

If you prefer to sit in your backyard and not venture out to all that a place has to offer, any place will have no culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island