Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2010, 10:54 AM

152 posts, read 398,294 times

Advertisements

In Sunday's paper: Top 3 reasons:

1) Teachers salaries

2) Teachers medical benefits

3) Teachers pension benefits

I am shocked by this revelation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2010, 12:48 PM

815 posts, read 2,046,722 times
Wow! What governmental agency okayed that!!!??

Old 09-05-2010, 12:55 PM

7,801 posts, read 10,074,197 times
I always assumed that this was a well known fact. I have had teachers bragging to me since elementary school about their raises, benefits, and pensions. I had a teacher in high school tell me that something like 65 to 70% of the budget is spent on pay and benefits.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:01 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,212,551 times
^^^
It's 65-70% of TOTAL COUNTY property taxes are paid directly to the School District.

Then 85% of THAT figure goes to pay, benefits and pensions. The buildings, equipment and kids get whatever scraps of money are left over.

Old 09-05-2010, 01:10 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,591,763 times
Default There seems to be only one way to stop this insanity

There seems to be only one way to stop this insanity:

Each school district should lay off all their administrators and all their faculty, sell all the school buildings and give each student in the district money to attend a school district, public or private, of their choice. That would reduce the annual school property tax bill for sure.

After laying off all the administrators and all the teachers and selling all the school buildings and most other school district property, the school district would no longer be an operating school district and would simply be a mechanism for collecting (reduced) property taxes and passing these funds as vouchers to the students in the district to use at a private school or at another still existing gov't school in districts that did not lay off their teachers and sell their buildings.

Newly formed private schools will bid for many of the school buildings that the school district will be liquidating and they will interview and hire many of the teachers laid off by the school district, but at a much more rational salary and benefits package.

Old 09-05-2010, 07:24 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,463,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
There seems to be only one way to stop this insanity:

Each school district should lay off all their administrators and all their faculty, sell all the school buildings and give each student in the district money to attend a school district, public or private, of their choice. That would reduce the annual school property tax bill for sure.

After laying off all the administrators and all the teachers and selling all the school buildings and most other school district property, the school district would no longer be an operating school district and would simply be a mechanism for collecting (reduced) property taxes and passing these funds as vouchers to the students in the district to use at a private school or at another still existing gov't school in districts that did not lay off their teachers and sell their buildings.

Newly formed private schools will bid for many of the school buildings that the school district will be liquidating and they will interview and hire many of the teachers laid off by the school district, but at a much more rational salary and benefits package.
I would love the voucher system!

Personally though, I think there should be an equation for public workers vs. the median income in the area. For instance, SCPD shouldnt be making double the median household income after 5 years. Teachers are what, 180% of the median income. Public employees down to the DMV should be rated on needs, skills required, and education required.

Old 09-05-2010, 08:24 PM

22,140 posts, read 19,357,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
I would love the voucher system!

Personally though, I think there should be an equation for public workers vs. the median income in the area. For instance, SCPD shouldnt be making double the median household income after 5 years. Teachers are what, 180% of the median income. Public employees down to the DMV should be rated on needs, skills required, and education required.
I understand what you are getting at, but teachers aren't making 180% of the median income (though perhaps some administrators are) with the exception of some of the poor areas such as Roosevelt and Wyandanch. Keep in mind the median household income on Long Island is close to $90,000 (a bit over it in Nassau, under it in Suffolk)

Old 09-05-2010, 09:31 PM

260 posts, read 448,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pool0890 View Post
In Sunday's paper: Top 3 reasons:
1) Teachers salaries
2) Teachers medical benefits
3) Teachers pension benefits

I am shocked by this revelation!
Must have been Newsday.

Old 09-05-2010, 09:37 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,463,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I understand what you are getting at, but teachers aren't making 180% of the median income (though perhaps some administrators are) with the exception of some of the poor areas such as Roosevelt and Wyandanch. Keep in mind the median household income on Long Island is close to $90,000 (a bit over it in Nassau, under it in Suffolk)
Sorry, was thinking income. My bad, please excuse.

Still stands though, we're paying teachers in salary + benefits what the average household is taking in.

Old 09-06-2010, 05:25 AM

886 posts, read 2,639,029 times
As a school custodian for a long time I can only laugh at a couple of these comments. In ten years our building has become 30-40% hispanic. The district has had to hire a half dozen dual language teachers,a half dozen spanish speaking paras,a spanish speaking psychologist who split between two buildings,a spanish social worker(split)and a translator. That's over a $500,000 in salaries alone just for children of illegal immigrants. Then we have Special Ed. Yes,I feel very sorry for some of these children but some of them do not belong in the school. We have one who requires a special ed teacher,a fulltime para,a full time nurse and she gets Pysical and Occupational therapy. We've had to install air conditioners not only for her but for a dozen others over the past fews years because their IEPs state breathing issues.District has been forced to install elevators for students because library is on second floor of school.Special ramps for wheelchairs to get into cafeteria etc. That list goes on.
The building I am in was constructed 40 years ago and initially had 50 parking spaces with enrollment of 600+ students.We now have over 90 spaces yet student enrollment is less.Think about that.
As for eliminating public schools? That's a great idea.Let's just have parents homeschool their kids. Kids will be taught how to write like the illiterates many of their parents are and they will be educated on how to blame everyone for their failures.
You want to fix schools? Simple. Teacher /Student ratio of 25.1 with the reinstitution of corporal punishment. Gym is baseball,football,basketball where there are winners and losers not the sissy games they play now because losing causes demoralization.BS. No special programs,no special lunches,no special needs.Cut the BS and millions will be saved.Ok....I'm done
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: