Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 12:22 AM

22,184 posts, read 19,459,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
Paladino!
I do find it comical that the guy who made $$$ hands over fist from getting state contracts is the guy that thinks he is going to clean up the waste and abuse. Paladino's entire campaign goes against the very thing that made him rich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 12:01 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
I do find it comical that the guy who made $$$ hands over fist from getting state contracts is the guy that thinks he is going to clean up the waste and abuse. Paladino's entire campaign goes against the very thing that made him rich.
I compare it to taking advantage of the system vs. completely and royally screwing the system up.

Old 09-27-2010, 05:19 AM

57,269 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
He rented/leased buildings to NY State but I have not seen any proof at this point that there was anything illegal. My perfect candidate would have nothing to do with any political party or NY State but that’s just a dream.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:07 AM

97 posts, read 312,356 times
Based on the circumstantial evidence , Mr.Paladino is most likely a racist and sexist. As an African-American voter I must say that I don't care. All I care about is who will reduce my awful taxes. So the question remains - who is more likely to do this? As of now, my vote is going to Paladino. I don't need him to be a family friend, or to like me. I need him to reduce my fiscal obligation to NY state.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
He rented/leased buildings to NY State but I have not seen any proof at this point that there was anything illegal. My perfect candidate would have nothing to do with any political party or NY State but that’s just a dream.
I didn't say it was illegal, plenty of abuses exist that are perfectly legal and add to the problems we face in the state. That was my point about Paladino. He is talking about stopping the abuses and fixing this and that, but the very reason Paladino has the $$$ he has is because of these type of practices.

Old 09-27-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4MyHouse View Post
Based on the circumstantial evidence , Mr.Paladino is most likely a racist and sexist. As an African-American voter I must say that I don't care. All I care about is who will reduce my awful taxes. So the question remains - who is more likely to do this? As of now, my vote is going to Paladino. I don't need him to be a family friend, or to like me. I need him to reduce my fiscal obligation to NY state.
I don't see any pledges to actually reduce any taxes from Paladino.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:00 PM

97 posts, read 312,356 times
[LEFT]Q: When you say you will cut taxes by 10%, specifically which ones? And how will you make up for the lost revenue?
A: "I will cut New York State personal income taxes by 10 percent in my first budget. I will make up for this lost revenue by making a 20 percent cut in government spending. Half of this budget cut will pay for the deficit and the other half will pay for the personal income tax cut. I'm a businessman; it's really not that complicated."

Read more: Carl Paladino: The Full (Q & A) Monty[/LEFT]

I think this is pretty clear.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking4MyHouse View Post
[LEFT]Q: When you say you will cut taxes by 10%, specifically which ones? And how will you make up for the lost revenue?
A: "I will cut New York State personal income taxes by 10 percent in my first budget. I will make up for this lost revenue by making a 20 percent cut in government spending. Half of this budget cut will pay for the deficit and the other half will pay for the personal income tax cut. I'm a businessman; it's really not that complicated."

Read more: Carl Paladino: The Full (Q & A) Monty[/LEFT]

I think this is pretty clear.

And in what world of legalities will he be able to do that?? Not to mention as far as state income taxes go, that is generally among the lowest taxes someone on LI is likely paying.

Old 09-27-2010, 06:47 PM

57,269 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
I didn't say it was illegal, plenty of abuses exist that are perfectly legal and add to the problems we face in the state. That was my point about Paladino. He is talking about stopping the abuses and fixing this and that, but the very reason Paladino has the $$$ he has is because of these type of practices.
You are speculating as to how Paladino's rental to NY State. Properties are rented by the federal, state, etc. if there is anything illegal or even legal you can rest assured it will come out in the next few weeks.

I would hope you also apply that criteria to your local congressmen who are in fact already in office and supposedly held to a higher standars. They have flatly refused to pass any financial disclosure. Many of them Skelos, Silver, etc have a vested interest to maintain the status quo so their law firms can continue to get their funding from NYS.

Like one of the prior poisters indicated I don't care who it is that fixes the problem but I don't see an insider like Cuomo as a solution.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:43 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,564 times
Quote:
And in what world of legalities will he be able to do that?? Not to mention as far as state income taxes go, that is generally among the lowest taxes someone on LI is likely paying.
Yes, but federal and local taxes are pretty much out of his control. At least for first term. May be able to work out state caps of local taxes later. Realistically he could do it, generally though unless NYS alters its political makeup your going to have a hard time passing it. Liberals will decry the rich tax breaks, forgetting that they pay the most, and say we need cuts for those who are on the lowest end of the spectrum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island