Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2010, 05:10 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,467,494 times

Advertisements

We plan on taking the ferry over to Ocean Beach this weekend and need some input on the place.

When you get off the ferry, are there any delis or small sit down places to get some breakfast before hitting the beach?

I know it says you're not allowed to eat or drink on the beach. I'm hoping this doesn't include water.

Other than the beach, what is there to do there? Do they have regular places to eat (ie: inexpensive places) Are there shops?

What is the beach itself like? Do we have to get there super early to secure a place on the beach? If we want to leave the beach for a few moments, is it safe to leave our stuff there (ie: towels, cooler, totes)?

Any input anyone has on Ocean Beach would be great. (or any of the other fire island beaches)

Thank you!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2010, 06:56 PM

anyone????????????????

Old 07-02-2010, 07:50 PM

903 posts, read 3,578,994 times
im sorry i cant help you-i am trying to do the same-i hope people respond

Old 07-02-2010, 08:09 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,320,316 times
I prefer Kismet over Ocean Beach. OB is like the East Hills of FI..

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
We plan on taking the ferry over to Ocean Beach this weekend and need some input on the place.

When you get off the ferry, are there any delis or small sit down places to get some breakfast before hitting the beach?

I know it says you're not allowed to eat or drink on the beach. I'm hoping this doesn't include water.

Other than the beach, what is there to do there? Do they have regular places to eat (ie: inexpensive places) Are there shops?

What is the beach itself like? Do we have to get there super early to secure a place on the beach? If we want to leave the beach for a few moments, is it safe to leave our stuff there (ie: towels, cooler, totes)?

Any input anyone has on Ocean Beach would be great. (or any of the other fire island beaches)

Thank you!!!!!!

Old 07-03-2010, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
I prefer Kismet over Ocean Beach. OB is like the East Hills of FI..
From what I've heard, Kismet is a party place. We're going with kids so we're not looking to party -- just to have a nice beach day.

Old 07-03-2010, 09:16 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,320,316 times
Quote:
From what I've heard, Kismet is a party place. We're going with kids so we're not looking to party -- just to have a nice beach day.
Well Kismet seems much more peaceful and laid back than Ocean Beach.

Old 09-15-2010, 11:34 AM

322 posts, read 937,346 times
Quote:

Thank you!!!!!!
I know this is answer is coming after the summer season and it's been years since I've been to Ocean Beach, but here is my take on your inquiry:
As soon as you get off the ferry, you are pretty much in the business district. There are restaurants, delis, and eateries to your left and right, but about 15 ft (perhaps less) in front of you is the residential areas. No open containers of food or drink, even if you are currently eating or drinking them, are allowed in the residential areas. The cops will tell you to put it away, throw it out, or you will get ticketed. If you get something to drink, make sure it is in a re-closable bottle. They will make you throw away drink cups even with a top and straw unless you can put it in a bag.
The beach itself is on the other side of the island, about a 5-10 minute walk.
It does get crowded, so the earlier the better. Because it does get crowded, I would not leave your personal belongings unattended. If you bring a cooler, it may get searched to see if you tried to bring any food or drinks other than water. I don't know if baby food is ok if you have a young child. You would have to look into that.
Also, I do not believe there are any public bathrooms on the beach either. You would have to walk all the way back to the business district for public bathrooms unless you are staying or know someone staying in a nearby house rental. But, there's always the ocean (LOL).
I also believe bottled water is allowed on the beach but nothing else. And do not leave any empties on the beach or you will get ticketed.
There is shopping and restaurants, but depending on the time of day or day of the week, the eateries can have long waits to get served.
Ocean Beach is kid friendly but only until nighttime. By 9pm it's mostly the young and old partiers in the business district.
Overall, everything is more expensive there than on the mainland because it has to get shipped over by ferry. If you're looking for inexpensive, you may want to look at one of the other Fire Island towns. However, Ocean Beach is the place to go for nightlife.
Hope this helps for next summer.

Old 09-15-2010, 01:26 PM

40 posts, read 136,362 times
Just went a few weeks ago to Ocean beach with 10 year old and 5 year old had a great day .Kids loved and so did I. I liked the rules because there was no partying on the beach. Plenty of place as soon as you get off the ferry to eat .There is a playground and you can rent bikes .Get ice cream and stroll.Lots of lil shops to browsw in . We had a great day .

Old 09-15-2010, 01:39 PM

398 posts, read 837,853 times
Ocean Beach is the part of FI for families and has more shops and places to go. The other places such as kismet have few places to shop and eat. I believe Kismet has two restaurants "The Inn" and "The Out". Ocean Bay Park has a deli a pizza place and two bars. Ocean Beach has more to offer.

There are delis, Ice Cream shops, and many restaurants and bars in Ocean Beach. I'm from Nassau so FI wasn't a regular thing I did, but I've been several times and can tell you the difference between Ocean Beach and the other parts.

It is a safe places and you can drink your water on the beach and nobody will take your things. Just as anywhere you go don't leave valuables unattended, such as your rolex on your blanket when you’re in the water, other than that I don’t think someone will take your beach gear or cooler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island