Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2010, 04:30 PM

343 posts, read 1,310,246 times

Advertisements

My sister and Brother in law live in NYC curently and are paying $1500 for a 1 BR apartment in a decent locality. They want to move to Long island.
The factors for consideration are
1. rents in LI
2. closest areas to LIRR/bus - also, commute time to manhattan should be about an hour

what localities can they look at? What rents to expect? if it is going to turn out to be costlier then ,they will prefer living in their current location(Queens,NY).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2010, 05:45 PM

228 posts, read 807,611 times
Rent + LIRR + other stuff means it makes more sense for the to stay in queens? Why exactly do they want to move from Queens to LI? It won't be that much cheaper... and the nightlife isn't as good... Only real reason to move to LI would be school, location of job, or open space...

Old 09-13-2010, 09:15 PM

5,767 posts, read 16,501,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buscape View Post
Rent + LIRR + other stuff means it makes more sense for the to stay in queens? Why exactly do they want to move from Queens to LI? It won't be that much cheaper... and the nightlife isn't as good... Only real reason to move to LI would be school, location of job, or open space...
Or they don't know any better, who wants to spend their life stuck on an island?

Old 09-13-2010, 09:34 PM

929 posts, read 2,060,966 times
Who wants to spend their life renting a walk-in closet that some slumlord calls a "luxury apartment?" When you can travel an extra 10 minutes and have your own yard, grill nightly, a dog, and not have your neighbors surrounding you like you're playing some kind of working class version of Hollywood Squares.

To the OP: Being an hour form Manhattan by the LIRR depends on what part of Manhattan you have to travel to. If you're going to Mid Town close to Pen station you can look at anything on the Ronkokama line and any area west of Islip on the Babylon line.

My wife and I moved from NYC a few years ago and now commute to the city. Quality of life is not even comparable.

Old 09-14-2010, 11:47 AM

12,769 posts, read 18,273,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Or they don't know any better, who wants to spend their life stuck on an island?
hey did you know Manhattan is an island too?

Old 09-14-2010, 12:05 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,659,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captne76 View Post
Uhh, Queens IS on that same island.

Old 09-14-2010, 12:23 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,564,336 times
Default In case you are unfamiliar with the local geography

nehs, in case you are unfamiliar with the local geography, I've sent you an explanation of the very, very confusing geography of "Lawn Guyland" as a DM (Direct Message).

Old 09-14-2010, 01:43 PM

343 posts, read 1,310,246 times
Thanks for all your replies. I do understand that LI is going to be different. But, apartments here are so cramped. I just thought that LI might give us some fresh air at the least. Actually, I was the one who suggested this move to my sister and her family. That's why I am doing the research. Even if there is not going to be much savings in terms of rent, atleast we can hope for a home that does not start at the end of my neighbor's house(like it is here in NYC, with no good back yards/privacy except for what the ultra-rich can afford)

Tomonlineli, exactly this is the reason they want to move out:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post
When you can travel an extra 10 minutes and have your own yard, grill nightly, a dog, and not have your neighbors surrounding you like you're playing some kind of working class version of Hollywood Squares..
Me and my family are also considring moving out of NYC - my husband and I are looking for jobs and looks like a FL offer might work out. We are just tired of this city and does not give us any open spaces/privacy. If only ,we made more money we could offer the great places in NYC

if you could clarify what you mean:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post
My wife and I moved from NYC a few years ago and now commute to the city. Quality of life is not even comparable.
I am sorry that I did not get it.

Last edited by nehs; 09-14-2010 at 01:52 PM..

Old 09-14-2010, 02:47 PM
grant516

n/a posts
If they live in Queens now and pay $1500, they wont find anything cheaper when you factor in 2 monthly tickets in another LIRR Zone (likely 7).

The only exceptions to this in the price range (under 1500) might be Valley Stream & Lynbrook as they are in Zone 4 of the LIRR, and communities that might have a 1BR for nearly that price range.

Nassau County is much more expensive than Queens, and the few areas that are of decent price, are areas that would be lower quality than where you currently describe.
It makes little sense to travel further east from where you work, unless you had children who were of schooling age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island