Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2007, 06:29 AM

137 posts, read 744,010 times

Advertisements

Hi
Just wondering how long its been taking Long Islanders to sell. Im in Oceanside, thinking of selling and would be interested in hearing about your time frames.
Also...are you pricing to sell, or holding out for the best price.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2007, 07:05 AM

106 posts, read 578,407 times
Hi there...I am in Hewlett and my house has been on and off the market for 2 years...I put it on each spring and take it off in the summer because i do not want my 3 kids starting in a new school after the school year has already started..unfortunately this plan has not worked for me....also i put it on 2 years ago at a very high price because at that time everything was selling, I have since reduced a number of times and my house is now a real steal...the problem is nobody cares!!! I am absolutely fed up with the 4 brokers I have had and am waiting for the contract I have with my current broker to expire...I don't know about other areas but here we have a bunch of wealthy housewives as brokers that show houses when they are not lunching with their friends or hanging at the country club...it is extremely frustrating...I think the problem may be that I have a "stale listing", buyers think there is a problem with my house because it has been on so long, that is even if they know about it...I don't think the brokers even tell them about it...Why my house has not yet sold is a mystery to me...whoever sees it loves it..it is an all brick colonial in perfect condition...oh well, I still love my house and if we have to stay we have to stay...there are certainly worse places to live...the market is terrible now but if you want to move then you must put your house on the market, give it a try, you have nothing to lose!!!! Oceanside is a nice area, I do some of my best shopping there....good luck

Old 06-30-2007, 11:13 AM

73 posts, read 264,965 times
Our house has been on the market for 2 and a half months. 2 open houses, 2 showings and another open house next weekend. We live in Islandia (not a great area) but have one of the nicer houses in the area. Unfortunately we have to wait it out too. A neighbor of mine (who is an agent in the area) said (if the house is priced correctly) that the houses are taking about 6-9 months to move...if we're lucky. Good luck and let us know how things go.

Old 07-03-2007, 02:03 PM

189 posts, read 796,994 times
what type of commission are you offering? Do you really think that makes a difference getting agents to show your house?

Old 07-03-2007, 04:52 PM

106 posts, read 578,407 times
I was offering a 4% commission...no brokers were showing my house so my listing broker advised me to increase the commission to 5% and the selling broker would get 3% (an extra 1%) as an incentive...I would imagine that a $28,000 commission is good enough incentive, but apparently not...I think the market is just dead and the brokers have nobody to show the house to...so their famous last words are reduce the price and create a greater incentive by raising commission..either way it is less money for the seller...I say go for sale by owner, that is what I plan on doing when my listing expires!!!

Old 07-03-2007, 09:45 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,694,554 times
Default priced to high

Are these homes priced too high? There must be a reason nobody is buying them right? 2 years wow!

Old 07-04-2007, 10:14 AM

62 posts, read 329,915 times
Some are priced high and others are priced right. My husband and I have been searching in Suffolk County for a home for a few months now. Some things we are seeing in good area's - taking into consideration, schools, crime rate, taxes, neighborhood, etc - are priced to sell and in good condition w/ some work needing to be done but it is not unlivable while renovating...others however are priced SOOO high that despite having to put $50K worth of work just to update the necessities - roof, windows, heating systems...you cant get them to budge. Those are the homes that sit on the market for ever. It is unfortunate, it is a buyers market - however all the buyers are very cautious right now - especially due to interest rates and forclosure rates - no one wants to be in that position. I know my husband and I will take our time to make sure we are getting a good house for our money and if some have to slip by then so be it, we'll just wait longer.

Old 07-09-2007, 06:26 PM

77 posts, read 430,030 times
Exclamation Low commission = less agents will show your house

Quote:
Originally Posted by pad3 View Post
what type of commission are you offering? Do you really think that makes a difference getting agents to show your house?
This may or may not make a difference to Long Island buyers, sellers and agents, but I heard it straight from the "horse's mouth" (my sister-in-law who is a real estate agent in the state of Indiana). She shows buyers any house they want to see; however, if the commission is from the "2% guys" she will pick-it-apart (her exact words). In other words, she will make sure she finds fault with the house in every corner, inside and out - enough to convince they buyer he or she should really take a look at another house instead. Of course I'm assuming she then takes them to one of HER company's listings or at least another where the commission is higher. Remember that next time you go out home-shopping with an agent. Listen to what they say to you. Listen to what they praise or find fault with regarding the house. See if they are doing it here - they must do it in Indiana. Maybe they train them to do this. I also feel agents ask seller's to lower their price and/or increase the commission to make homes sell faster so they'll get their check faster - why else would they care? Do you agree?

Old 07-09-2007, 08:54 PM

991 posts, read 4,617,303 times
Yes they ae doing it here on LI my husband works with a real estate broker that suggested that to us if we re list, just another reason why I hate these shady people.I am listing my house myself below what the house down the block got and my house is done you would just need to replace the toilet seats.

Old 07-09-2007, 09:06 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,675,564 times
That is sleazy....I can believe these SOBs are steering on commissions.

That industry needs overhaul.

C
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island