Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 06:24 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,197,572 times

Advertisements

Do not turn this into a bashing of the SCPD .. PLEASE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 06:25 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,500,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
Keep smoking that doobie pal. The black helicopters are coming.
He has his tin foil hat on!

Old 09-14-2010, 06:26 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
Once again, your post has demonstrated an ignorance of how police hiring works -- even after it was explained to you. One more time: Once candidates have successfully passed all phases of the screening process, they remain on a rank ordered list. Hiring is done in rank order. If you're not lucky enough to be high enough on the rank ordered list, then you don't get hired ... no matter who your relatives are.

In closing, it's incredible how much disdain you have for the police. Every single post you've made in this thread today has taken a shot at them. Talk about an agenda. As I've said so many times before, your credibility on the subject is zero.
I've always found that the average anti-establishment types were those that had the most run ins. I get a pretty clear picture of that individuals lifestyle and it isn't pretty.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:27 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
He has his tin foil hat on!
He has those apple bottom jeans and the boots with the fur...

Old 09-14-2010, 08:05 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeper View Post
Do not turn this into a bashing of the SCPD .. PLEASE
So instead people bash each other ...

LI ... gotta love it!

Old 09-14-2010, 08:27 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Considering people with this mindset (and worse) are going to take the test just because of the money, benefits and retirement, not because they care a whit about being a cop:

You probably will not get that from SCPD.

There's a fine line between offering a GOOD salary and benefits for a position that can get dangerous and offering TOO MUCH so that people who don't really want to be cops and even admit they are not suited for it are taking the test just because of the salary, benefits and "20 years and out."
While the test won't root out all the wishy-washy in it for the bennies types, the subsequent portions might.

I have had former employees take the NYPD test and I've received forms to fill out to attest to their character, work ethics, punctuality, cause for leaving, etc. and I am sure to answer it as best as possible. If you're a slacker, it went on the form.

It's only one small aspect of the overall process, but one which is given some consideration.

I haven't had anyone (in the past 10 years) leave and take the SCPD test. I guess I should start looking out for potential recruit letters next year.

Old 09-15-2010, 07:40 AM

1,726 posts, read 4,038,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Drug deal and robberies are dangerous to the people involved in them. The cops come in after the fact and "investigate" (yeah, right)..

Oh, and please name me the areas of LI that are as bad as "ghetto city neighborhoods".... Don't tell me Wyandanch or Roosevelt because they aren't anywhere near as dangerous as some areas in NYC. Sure, you have wannabe thugs and crackheads and drug dealers, but they would probably poop themselves if you dropped them in the middle of a NYC ghetto.
Moderator cut: snip

Just because it wasn't on news 12 or in newsday doesn't mean it didn't happen. There are a lot of guns and violent people on the streets of long island and some of them are from the city. But where they are from doesn't really matter.

And the police never respond to crimes in progress and find the criminal at the scene or nearby? Yeah, O.K. Even if it takes a week to grab them, they are still as dangerous as they were a week before.

Your anti police feelings are obvious, that is of course until you need them.

Last edited by Keeper; 09-15-2010 at 09:07 AM..

Old 09-15-2010, 11:13 AM

57,285 posts, read 26,206,502 times
The last test for Nassau County in October 2006 drew 12,000 test takers for a few hundred positions. They are still using that list of 9000 candidates; Suffolk County will probably draw even more applicants.

The test is in June 2011 and the list will come out 6 months later but if you get in you will be one of the lucky few. I would expect that the number of test takers will exceed anything seen before in this economy; the worst kept secret is out that this is best job around for someone with a 2 year degree, making over $100,000 in 5 years.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:09 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
The last test for Nassau County in October 2006 drew 12,000 test takers for a few hundred positions. They are still using that list of 9000 candidates; Suffolk County will probably draw even more applicants.

You might be right. They called my guy a couple of years ago, 3 1/2 years after he took the test, but he couldn't take the cut in pay. No, I'm not kidding.

Plus, there's no "interdepartmental equality." You start from scratch. With 10 years in somewhere else at the time (not a cop), he didn't want to deal with that in terms of losing seniority for vacation day picks, etc.

Your numbers take care of the whole "quota" question, though. If there are 9,000 people on the list, I'm sure the best candidates are not all white men. I'm sure they can find plenty of the best from all ethnicities and both sexes. I don't buy the discrimination thing one bit.

Old 09-15-2010, 12:34 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
You might be right. They called my guy a couple of years ago, 3 1/2 years after he took the test, but he couldn't take the cut in pay. No, I'm not kidding.

Plus, there's no "interdepartmental equality." You start from scratch. With 10 years in somewhere else at the time (not a cop), he didn't want to deal with that in terms of losing seniority for vacation day picks, etc.

Your numbers take care of the whole "quota" question, though. If there are 9,000 people on the list, I'm sure the best candidates are not all white men. I'm sure they can find plenty of the best from all ethnicities and both sexes. I don't buy the discrimination thing one bit.
Clarify that for me. Are you saying that you don't think that the testing discriminates or the grading is needed to prevent discrimination.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island