Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2010, 11:51 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
You still haven't made a convincing argument as to why they need sick day rollovers and payouts? They are given tons of sick days that they can use legitimately, and there is a good enforcement mechanism. Given that, there should really be no fear of massive overtime unless the police allow widespread sick day fraud to take place. If you are so sure that they enforce those sick days, then there is no need to have rollovers and payouts. It is WAY less expensive to pay out overtime than it is to pay accumulated sick leave.

Let's be honest. The only reason for this practice is to disguise extra compensation as sick days. It's great collective bargaining negotiating, and of course we had politians who rolled over and played nice. However, at what cost? These kind of giveaways in the aggregate are crippling to our public budgets and to the taxpayers in general. We essentially are subsidizing police officers and their families beyond what the market requires. It really is shame.

It's no wonder the rest of the nation always points to Nassau and Suffolk county as the bastions of local government giveaways and fiscal mismanagement. We are a joke.
Very true! This is all a sham and a result of butt kissing useless public sector unions. Public sector unions only exist to unjustly enrich themselves at the expense of the taxpayers.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:40 PM

939 posts, read 1,845,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Very true! This is all a sham and a result of butt kissing useless public sector unions. Public sector unions only exist to unjustly enrich themselves at the expense of the taxpayers.
And yet another opinion not necessarily shared by all.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:52 PM

929 posts, read 2,068,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
And yet another opinion not necessarily shared by all.
Have you ever seen an opinion shared by all? Heck, most facts aren't shared by all!

Just sayin'

Old 09-28-2010, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post
Have you ever seen an opinion shared by all? Heck, most facts aren't shared by all!

Just sayin'
Absolutely. But the way some of these folks post their opinions, they believe that they are facts.

I just want to point out that there are two sides to every coin. And because someone has a strong opinion, it doesn't make that opinion right -- or wrong. It's simply an opinion.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:31 PM

7 posts, read 9,657 times
My opinion is that the police are underpaid. For what they do and have to put up with, they make a pittance. I say give them a raise.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:49 PM

22,187 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need2findhomeonLI View Post
My opinion is that the police are underpaid. For what they do and have to put up with, they make a pittance. I say give them a raise.
Cops on Long Island are already the highest paid in the country. About 2/3 of the Nassau County portion of property taxes go towards the police

Old 09-28-2010, 04:13 PM

7 posts, read 9,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Cops on Long Island are already the highest paid in the country. About 2/3 of the Nassau County portion of property taxes go towards the police
Cost of living.. Of course LI police make more than police in Kansas. I value public safety and law enforcement. I don't mind paying topdollar for it.

Old 09-28-2010, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Sorry, they're no longer the highest paid. You'll find the highest paid in California and New Jersey. (Find your own links -- there's lots of them.)

And the 2/3 figure is a bit overstated.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:14 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need2findhomeonLI View Post
Cost of living..
What I find funniest is that teachers and cops use that argument, 'We need obscene pay to live here". Their unions are why the cost of living is so high in the first place!

Quote:
Of course LI police make more than police in Kansas. I value public safety and law enforcement. I don't mind paying topdollar for it.
Hahaha, I'm sure you'll feel differently when you do findhomeonLI.

Police work doesnt take genius or bravery (ever notice cops only shoot unarmed men? Its because people with guns might shoot back) and they already get gold plated job security and benefits, plus they hit 100k(thats base pay-they have tons of OT scams going) in a few short years? Give me a break.

As for teachers and the even more grotesquely overpaid "school administrators" (with equal benefits and job security to the cops), it must be very hard to work 10 months a year.

I hope every cop and teacher gets not 600k severance but 1.2 million in severance. Top dollar, you get what you pay for and all that eh?

Old 09-28-2010, 08:55 PM

290 posts, read 583,306 times
Quote:

Perhaps, but where does the town, village & school taxes fit into that mathematical equation? Math is funny, isn't it? Numbers never lie, but they don't always tel the whole truth, either...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island