Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 08:32 PM

167 posts, read 383,380 times

Advertisements

I worked for private sector companies all my life. One had "mandatory" stock options that went to $14 during the dot-com boom (regular employees were'nt allowed to sell of course, only top brass) , to eventually being delisted from the NASDAQ and then worth nothing at all!! Not to mention employees were "forced" to buy this stock (meaning we had no choice), and not allowed to sell until months after they left the company. Many people lost large portion of their life savings.

My next company (Once a regular on the 100 best companies to work for), the stock went went from over $50+ and now sits steadily at $8!!

Now let me ask...those in the public sector...our states and municipalites (and country for that matter) are probably MORE bankrupt than those companies on paper. Would you like to trade those stock options for your pension?

Only a connected few at the top get any real "options"...please don't make that silly argument.

Old 09-18-2010, 10:14 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantaray14 View Post
I worked for private sector companies all my life. One had "mandatory" stock options that went to $14 during the dot-com boom (regular employees were'nt allowed to sell of course, only top brass) , to eventually being delisted from the NASDAQ and then worth nothing at all!! Not to mention employees were "forced" to buy this stock (meaning we had no choice), and not allowed to sell until months after they left the company. Many people lost large portion of their life savings.

My next company (Once a regular on the 100 best companies to work for), the stock went went from over $50+ and now sits steadily at $8!!

Now let me ask...those in the public sector...our states and municipalites (and country for that matter) are probably MORE bankrupt than those companies on paper. Would you like to trade those stock options for your pension?

Only a connected few at the top get any real "options"...please don't make that silly argument.
some cheese with that whine?

Old 09-19-2010, 12:09 PM

1,085 posts, read 1,500,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Somehow the county can afford this but cant afford more $$ for bus service. Mangano is more of the same....
He's just doing what his corporate puppet masters want. They want a breakdown of the American middle class.

Old 09-19-2010, 04:15 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantaray14 View Post
It depends on the industry. The last private company I worked for offered everyone options after 1 year of employment, right on down to the guy in the mailroom.

Old 09-19-2010, 05:40 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
It depends on the industry. The last private company I worked for offered everyone options after 1 year of employment, right on down to the guy in the mailroom.
I would guess that MOST industries don't get them. Dot Com era? Sure, but I don't think so today

Old 09-19-2010, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
I would guess that MOST industries don't get them. Dot Com era? Sure, but I don't think so today
Any company that bills itself as employee owned does it, as do most financial companies.

Old 09-20-2010, 05:29 AM

57,267 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Somehow the county can afford this but cant afford more $$ for bus service. Mangano is more of the same....
The MTA should have never cut those services while you have people at the MTA, OTB, Nassau County legislature and the executive branch traveling to work in county cars.

Old 09-20-2010, 09:32 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Any company that bills itself as employee owned does it, as do most financial companies.
OK. Still not anywhere near most companies.

Old 09-20-2010, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
OK. Still not anywhere near most companies.
Any company that has tried to recruit me has tried to dangle options.

But in the end, who cares? I mean, really. The private sector is ugly because the workers in the private sector let it be ugly. That's not the civil service's problem. Never has been, never will be.

Old 09-20-2010, 11:35 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haywood16 View Post
Most private sector workers receive stock options, matching 401k, and nice easy life. All weekends off, holiday's off and the safely of an office. How many office workers die or get injured seriously on the line of work compared to cops and fireman etc?

If anything you should complain about corporation greed and their slow breakdown of private sector pensions and benefits so they can fatten their greedy wallets.
Come out into the real world and you will see that they match only a FRACTION of what you put in. PLUS. if they don't want to, they don't have to match anything. You write this like private sector companies all match 100% of employee contributions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island