Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 05:44 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
^^^
I don't agree with that either.

However, the U.S.A. has been a Christian country since its inception and things like this (i.e., "Saturday is a good day for extracurricular activities and sports because Sunday is the traditional 'day of rest' for Christians") are ingrained in the larger culture, which makes it that much harder to separate out from public schools even with the separation of church and state policy in effect.
I do not agree with the "Christian country" stuff either -- school is M-F, provides normal food, normal education, etc. If you brainwash your children to require them to follow your rules, that is your problem.

Old 09-14-2010, 05:47 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
I do not agree with the "Christian country" stuff either -- school is M-F, provides normal food, normal education, etc. If you brainwash your children to require them to follow your rules, that is your problem.
I am not saying I agree or disagree with it. I am just saying that's how it is. Although now the USA is much more diverse, it still has traditions and ways that started out as Christian and which we haven't given up on. Sure there's a separation of church and state, but take a look at your money (open your wallet right now and look) or take a look at the words over a judge in a courtroom: "In God We Trust." And that was created by Christians.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:21 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,685,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
^^^
I don't agree with that either.

However, the U.S.A. has been a Christian country since its inception and things like this (i.e., "Saturday is a good day for extracurricular activities and sports because Sunday is the traditional 'day of rest' for Christians") are ingrained in the larger culture, which makes it that much harder to take out of public schools even with the separation of church and state policy in effect.
What American did then is not always what Americans do now.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:27 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
Quote:
I know what you mean, but it is flat out against school policy

http://www.lawrence.org/Assets/Distr...500%282%29.pdf

Please see page 2 -- search for religious. My PDF editor will not let me copy + paste :\
I believe you may be reading to much into it. If the orginization that held the service collected money only to cover the cost of the building rental than they would not be in violation because there would be no "proceeds to benefit" the religous orginization.

Where I am many churchs rent the school buildings on sundays, provided the school system does not discriminate and try to pick & choose who they rent to then whats wrong with it.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Actually aren't these concerts considered Winter Concerts or Holiday Concerts?
Where the students are taught to and do perform Christian religious songs.

Quote:
And there is not only "Gentile" food in the cafeteria, there is regular friggen food .. "
In most districts, there is only regular Gentile food in the cafeteria.

Quote:
Same thing about sports teams -- can't make it, don't join.
The sports teams can play during the day on Friday, after sundown on Saturday and during the day on Sunday (playing on Sunday would not be a violation of the Christian Sabbath, which is a day of prayer, not a day of rest).

Quote:
Besides, this is a blatant violation of STATE POLICIES, plain and simple.
Yes, having students taught to sing Christian religious songs, only serving Gentile food in the cafeteria and playing team sports at a time that automatically excludes certain students from participating violates NYS policies, let alone the NYS Constitution.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:49 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
If you really want to stir the pot and make a point, suggest using the school for a Muslim service. I'm sure that will get their attention.

(Said the atheist who thinks religious anything should be kept away from public school property at all times, whether school is in session or not, just on general principle.)
I was thinking that very same thing! Send an email with all the info to Westbury mosque...or better still the mosque in the town of Oyster Bay which was displaced due to violations during Ramadan! The congregation probably could have used the space the public school would have provided.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Where the students are taught to and do perform Christian religious songs.

In most districts, there is only regular Gentile food in the cafeteria.

The sports teams can play during the day on Friday, after sundown on Saturday and during the day on Sunday (playing on Sunday would not be a violation of the Christian Sabbath, which is a day of prayer, not a day of rest).

Yes, having students taught to sing Christian religious songs, only serving Gentile food in the cafeteria and playing team sports at a time that automatically excludes certain students from participating violates NYS policies, let alone the NYS Constitution.

You know, I started to take you seriously until you said there is only "Gentile" food in school cafeterias. Are you so blinded by your Pro-Jewish mentality that you can't realize that you guys are the ones requesting special food. You basically are saying that schools are not in the wrong for not being yeshivas. There are other people in the world other than Jews, Walter. Like I said before, the world doesn't stop at Friday sundown.

Do you have proof of such "Christian" songs being taught to public school students? I do not remember any such thing. Closest thing was a Halloween recital, which if you are going to claim is religious then that is ridiculous.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:34 PM

This thread is going way too off-topic for its own good.

I did not get a chance to call anyone today, I will do so tomorrow.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:47 PM

Quote:
You know, I started to take you seriously until you said there is only "Gentile" food in school cafeterias. Are you so blinded by your Pro-Jewish mentality that you can't realize that you guys are the ones requesting special food.
It would seem that you are blinded by your anti-Jewish bigotry.

No one is requesting special food: just like serving regular Gentile food, school districts, where requested, should serve regular Kosher or regular Halal food.

Quote:
Do you have proof of such "Christian" songs being taught to public school students?
Silent Night, for one.

Quote:
Closest thing was a Halloween recital, which if you are going to claim is religious then that is ridiculous.
Halloween is indeed a Christian holiday: Halloween is the contraction of All Hallows Eve, the evening of All Hallows Day, which is now known as All Saints Day. (St. Valentines Day and St. Patrick's Day are also Christian holidays).

Old 09-14-2010, 07:57 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,091,524 times
On the above. Schools should simply serve food, not kosher, not hallal, not whatever. The additional cost associated trying to maintain special dietary standards would be too high. If a person wants certain foods due to faith, allergies, etc then pack a lunch.

For the songs I guess the Hanukah songs would have t be eliminated also. Let me tell you to a third grader growing up in the 60's no one cared the reason for the season all we knew was time to party. Cake, cookies, soda etc. kids don't care what the purpose is.

As for Halloween it may have started as all hallows eve in the christian faith but in this country it is just a kids holliday. Kids dress up, go door to door for candy and have fun, at least till the adults try to make it politcally correct. Even most adults enjoy the "party" atmosphere of the day....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island