Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 12:24 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,555,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Looks like you glossed over the part that says "exclusive and not open to the general public" and the part that says "the meetings, entertainments and occasions are under the exclusive control of ... a religious sect or denomination."
yes i did miss that (i am having some difficulty searching this PDF)

I saw a reference to any admissions charges not going to a religious organization. I did not see anything else about religion. Please give me the full word for word quote.

as for open to the public, the Hispanic Pentecostal service at my DDs school was open to the general public, as were the Jewish services my synagogue held. In neither case was there any monetary charge to attend either.

Old 09-23-2010, 01:03 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Default Exact Quotes

Here is what is allowed:

Quote:
In accordance with the New York State Education Law, the following uses of school buildings, grounds and other property are acceptable:
  • for the purpose of instruction in any branch of education, learning or the arts;
  • for public library purposes;
  • for holding social, civic and recreational meetings and entertainments, and other uses pertaining to the welfare of the community;
  • for meetings, entertainments and occasions where admission fees are charged, when the proceeds are to be expended for an educational or charitable purpose;
  • for polling places for holding primaries and elections, and for the registration of voters, and for holding political meetings;
  • for civic forums and community centers, in accordance with the requirements of the New York State Education Law;
  • for classes of instruction for mentally retarded minors operated by a private organization approved by the commissioner of education;
  • for recreation, physical training and athletics, including competitive athletic contests of children attending a private, nonprofit school;
  • for non-school hours child care programs, provided that the cost of care is paid for by the person responsible for the support of such child, the local social services district as authorized by law or by any other public or private voluntary sources or any combination thereof;
  • for graduation exercises held by not-for-profit elementary and secondary schools;
Next post: what is not allowed.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:04 PM

"for holding social, civic and recreational meetings and entertainments, and other uses pertaining to the welfare of the community;"

That sounds like it could easily include a religious service.

I await the list of not alloweds, perhaps I overlooked something on it.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:39 PM

Default Not allowed ...

Any use not permitted by this policy is prohibited. Notwithstanding the foregoing, the New York State Education Law and the Constitution of New York State specifically prohibit the following uses of the District's school buildings, grounds and other property:
  • social, civic and recreational meetings and entertainments which are exclusive and not open to the general public;
  • meetings, entertainments and occasions where admission fees are charged and the proceeds are not to be expended for an educational or charitable purpose;
  • meetings, entertainments and occasions for an educational or charitable purpose where admission fees are charged, and the meetings, entertainments and occasions are under the exclusive control of, and the said proceeds are to be applied for the benefit of a society, association, or organization of a religious sect or denomination, or of a fraternal secret or exclusive society or organization other than organizations of a veterans of the military, naval and marine service of the United States and organizations of volunteer firefighters or volunteer ambulance workers;
  • political meetings or rallies unless specifically authorized by a vote of District
  • residents in a school election. (Such an election must be called by the Board of Education upon petition of at least 10% of the qualified voters of the District.)

Old 09-23-2010, 02:43 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,654 times
Quote:
Any use not permitted by this policy is prohibited. Notwithstanding the foregoing, the New York State Education Law and the Constitution of New York State specifically prohibit the following uses of the District's school buildings, grounds and other property:
  • social, civic and recreational meetings and entertainments which are exclusive and not open to the general public;
  • meetings, entertainments and occasions where admission fees are charged and the proceeds are not to be expended for an educational or charitable purpose;
  • meetings, entertainments and occasions for an educational or charitable purpose where admission fees are charged, and the meetings, entertainments and occasions are under the exclusive control of, and the said proceeds are to be applied for the benefit of a society, association, or organization of a religious sect or denomination, or of a fraternal secret or exclusive society or organization other than organizations of a veterans of the military, naval and marine service of the United States and organizations of volunteer firefighters or volunteer ambulance workers;
  • political meetings or rallies unless specifically authorized by a vote of District
  • residents in a school election. (Such an election must be called by the Board of Education upon petition of at least 10% of the qualified voters of the District.)
Underlined parts where this is against policy.

The CL ad is gone, but they were charging I think 50$/head, 100$/family.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:43 PM

903 posts, read 3,578,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post

I do not remember singing or even learning Silent Night in any grade.

Halloween is a Christian holiday? I didn't know dressing up like a pirate and begging for candy was in the bible.
I know many words to Christmas songs from school and I dont celebrate Christmas. We sang and our kids have sung about reindeer and santa-those are symbolic for Christmas.

As far as St. Halloween and St. Valentines Day-no-they are not American holidays and for those who are more religious -Im guessing they view them as more than an excuse to eat chocolate.

I pick my battles carefully and if this holding of religious service in the school when it is not in session is worth your time, energy and fight-then go for it-

Old 09-23-2010, 02:47 PM

Quote:

Depending on turnout, there was definitely money left over after paying for the space for whoever organized and held the religious services because the cost to use the middle school gym is $90 per hour (see chart on page 12 of the PDF).

Old 09-23-2010, 02:49 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,970,654 times
Quote:
Depending on turnout, there was definitely money left over after paying for the space for whoever organized and held the religious services because the cost to use the middle school gym is $90 per hour (see chart on page 12 of the PDF).

Considering it was a multi-night event, even at 1 family per night per hour, they were making a profit.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:51 PM

Quote:

Oh. then they are in the wrong.

the services need to be free to pass muster then.

Old 09-23-2010, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
Oh. then they are in the wrong.

the services need to be free to pass muster then.
Even if it were free, what about this provision:

and the meetings, entertainments and occasions are under the exclusive control of, and the said proceeds are to be applied for the benefit of a society, association, or organization of a religious sect or denomination
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island