Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-15-2010, 07:08 AM

8 posts, read 37,346 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I need to pick you guys' brains. We purchased a home in Nassau county 1 year ago. While trying to resolve an issue with a variance so we can obtain the CO for our house, we discovered that the previous owners had open permits on another part of the hous. The permits were also never paid for so they amount to more than $2000. It also looks like we will need another plumbing permit,plumbing inspection and final inspection. We were never told about this at any point. We did know about the variance on another part of the house. Whose job was to look into town records and disclose this to us? We thought we took all appropiate steps: had an inspection, site survey, lawyer. Please give me your thoughts! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2010, 08:17 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
YOur title searcher really dropped the ball. That title search company was hired by your attorney. You need to contact your attorney ASAP and find out what happened.

My sister and I both recently sold our houses and had open permits and they came right up on the title search. SOmeone in your camp has some 'splaining to do.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:06 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,756,661 times
It was up to the title company and your lawyer to pick up on this. I would consult with a different attorney, because you may have an action against the attorney who handled your closing.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:25 AM

8 posts, read 37,346 times
Thank you for your replies. I have gotten in touch with the lawyer and he does not seem to eager to talk to me. I have requested appointments with him with no luck. I did get him on the phone a couple of times and his advice was to take previous owners to Small Claims Court. I think this is bigger than that. Please keep replying. Thanks!

Old 09-15-2010, 09:43 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine10 View Post
Thank you for your replies. I have gotten in touch with the lawyer and he does not seem to eager to talk to me. I have requested appointments with him with no luck. I did get him on the phone a couple of times and his advice was to take previous owners to Small Claims Court. I think this is bigger than that. Please keep replying. Thanks!
I think I agree with Tom - although it can be very difficult to get one attorney to take on another. If you continue interacting with this attorney, you'll need to be a little more forceful.

Old 09-15-2010, 10:29 AM

341 posts, read 1,535,273 times
Look at the paperwork you got at closing. Did you pay for Title Insurance? You may be covered for something like this...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island