Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2016, 06:45 AM

1 posts, read 2,008 times

Advertisements

Some officer, like Doug Gooch, abuse his position as a code inforcement officer by threaten you if you don't let him in and when you ignore him he goes back to car and write you violation summons for things that does not exist on your property that seems to be general, so when you do file a complain at the commisioners office, about his threats and his abusing of his powers, he changes the info to adapt to the ticket code.... And in court, he has to provide evidence that of the things he claim you have on your property (the towns attorney doesnt care about you the home owner) bUt the burden lies on you to clear your name and property- the building department should be for the people's interest and safety but all the care about is issue violation summons , get it to court , have you cooperate with building department, pay a bunch of money to file permits and then knock you dead in court with the fines- the towns attorney should be reported to the bar association for misconduct & be disbared - they all work hand in hand with your hard earned property tax paying them to **** you over. I am sick of them the have been to my home over 5 times in one year making my life hell-i find it to be harrassment.... They shold not be allowed to harrass property owners more than once a year... These officers can care less about haw misserable they are making domeone's life-
Check what we pay them with our property tax
See link:
The Community Alliance Blog: The Big Chill At Hempstead Town Hall?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2019, 09:31 AM

25 posts, read 17,584 times
Looking for Help/Opinions.

Purchased a home without knowing work was done, yes my mistake in have all of the different parties, realtor, attorney, inspector fail me but my situation is as follows and I am looking for guidance on how to proceed or what will potentially happen. Disclosure was not provided at closing (they paid the penalty).

Prior home owner:
Removed walls and updated the house to open concept (updated support beams).
Added an exterior door to the backyard (removed a window) - added several exterior steps.
Remodeled a bathroom and took out a tub and made it a shower, moved the sink location, added a window.

I am wondering what I would need to do to get it rectified to ensure I am not going to be nailed down the line. All things are closed up and finished. How should I proceed to have the least amount of backlash and any ideas on what the penalties or fines would be? Any guidance to what I may potentially see as fees or costs I may incur?

I know I may have to rip things open to inspect if its up to code but if I can get someone to sign off on all of the work would it make a difference?

If I am forthcoming with this information to the town will there be any leniency, any known cases?

If I went out to get architects, engineers, contracts, etc to get permits to get everything updated, will they pre-inspect before issuing the permit?

How difficult is this process and will it tear my life apart?? Any guidance is greatly appreciated.

Old 09-17-2019, 10:26 AM

783 posts, read 1,423,287 times
All the changes you have listed are none issues. Enjoy your new home and did not try to get permits unless you have a lot of $$$ to waste and enjoy stress. If you didn't have a problem buying this house, you will not have a problem selling it in the future.

Old 09-17-2019, 11:19 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
Tend to agree with prior poster. The footprint of the house was not extended, don't worry about it at this point.

Old 09-17-2019, 01:08 PM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times
It's worth looking into in stealth mode.
Sometimes normally silly stuff becomes an issue with appraisals/mortgage companies when you sell. Been there. Be glad you are at least aware of a potential issue instead of being 3/4 of the way through a sale and "Surprise!"...

Old 09-17-2019, 04:55 PM

24 posts, read 16,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lcbsah View Post
On a similar note; I'm looking to purchase a house in TOH where the porch (built with permits) was turned into two storage rooms - walls were built without permits. The rooms are not connected to the heating system in the house and infact have no heat at all and they are a step down from the original house but open to the original house.
Anybody have any thoughts on how this may play out?
you might deal with the house not even being able to be sold due to the renovations. then again some stuff slips threw the cracks. i just purchased a house in ToNH, remodeling bedrooms and such, got hit with a stop work order-_-. we are in month 5 waiting for permits which i even got expidited. most recent letter from the town of an ommision - "looks like there are a/c ducts.. house does not have a permit for a/c, a/c permit must be needed"

when i purchased the house they did a inspection report. they noticed something about a room was not updated or correct on the plans. this held up the purchase as the home owners needed to get the plans updated. i chose to do that because if i wanted to sell the house, now i have to deal with the head ache. shockingly my inspection didnt show the home owners never got the a/c permitted... meanwhile the a/c serial number is dated for 1995!

Old 09-19-2019, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicpoli View Post
you might deal with the house not even being able to be sold due to the renovations. then again some stuff slips threw the cracks. i just purchased a house in ToNH, remodeling bedrooms and such, got hit with a stop work order-_-. we are in month 5 waiting for permits which i even got expidited. most recent letter from the town of an ommision - "looks like there are a/c ducts.. house does not have a permit for a/c, a/c permit must be needed"

when i purchased the house they did a inspection report. they noticed something about a room was not updated or correct on the plans. this held up the purchase as the home owners needed to get the plans updated. i chose to do that because if i wanted to sell the house, now i have to deal with the head ache. shockingly my inspection didnt show the home owners never got the a/c permitted... meanwhile the a/c serial number is dated for 1995!

What type of inspection did you have done at the time of purchase? Regular home inspection or was it the town?

I am in ToNH (NY-Nassau, right?), as well. I have plans later to get ductless as well but permitted to avoid any issues and hopefully it doesn't raise alarm bells that the walls were removed since that is the biggest call out when you walk into the house (open concept).

However, based on everyone's comments, since the overall footprint remains the same it should not cause an issue. I do not have plans to make the footprint bigger but just to clean up walls, update existing spaces to current (colors and fixtures, remove wood panel walls), add ductless and solar. I also have no plan to sell for 20+ years.

Old 09-19-2019, 01:51 PM

24 posts, read 16,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freeway52 View Post
What type of inspection did you have done at the time of purchase? Regular home inspection or was it the town?

I am in ToNH (NY-Nassau, right?), as well. I have plans later to get ductless as well but permitted to avoid any issues and hopefully it doesn't raise alarm bells that the walls were removed since that is the biggest call out when you walk into the house (open concept).

However, based on everyone's comments, since the overall footprint remains the same it should not cause an issue. I do not have plans to make the footprint bigger but just to clean up walls, update existing spaces to current (colors and fixtures, remove wood panel walls), add ductless and solar. I also have no plan to sell for 20+ years.

The Bank sent out the inspector so i doubt it was an inspector from the town
It was a whole house inspection... he checked everything but missed some important parts such as MY HOUSE HAD ZERO INSULATION BEHIND 90% OF THE WALLS. How insane is that, took sledge hammers to all walls, got hit with a stop work order probably from the person that sold me the house because she low balled the house.

Im adding 2 mini split units which require 3 lines going to the unit it self from the condenser outside

removing walls or modifying anything in this town is a huge NEED A PERMIT. Even if your going to sneeze you need a permit from what my neighbors tell me.

I argued with the town that im just renovating... meaning everything is going to be the same but new, no change in size of rooms. NOPE still need a permit. I allowed inspector to come in the house (bad idea apparently from this forum) and he noticed i stripped everything down to the studs. i told him beams where rotted, NO INSULATION in the bedrooms ect ect. he assumed i removed insulation for some stupid reason. He said "why are you redoing the entire house... normally reno is room by room." Im paying a crew to demo... why demo 1 room i demoed the whole place minus the kitchen and den." Back and forth BS with huge red sticker on my door led to calling an architect.

So i said screw it if i need a permit im going to go all out with cathedral ceilings and all.

Im a block away from the shopping center with ups and mama theresa pizzaria
PM me if you want

Old 09-19-2019, 04:57 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,245,044 times
The best solution

Old 09-20-2019, 08:36 AM

Not if they won't insure it since the work was un-permitted right? They removed a wall - if they find out can't they not cover it under insurance?

Just another cause for concern and anxiety for this first time home owner!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island