Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2010, 08:29 AM

38 posts, read 94,291 times

Advertisements

Due to yesterday's storm/tornado, a large tree landed on top of my garage and the roof is now caved in and the entire structure is about to collapse. I contacted my insurance company and they told me to go ahead and get estimates for removal and replacement of the garage.

Looking for recommendations on good contractors who can handle this job soon.

Thanks!

Last edited by ChitterChatter; 09-17-2010 at 09:02 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2010, 11:31 AM

82 posts, read 189,559 times
08-26-2010, 09:57 AM
[SIZE=5]scottzilla[/SIZE]

I'm amazed anyone even pays a contractor at all. Do your homework. I saved an easy $10,000 building my two car garage by doing the leg work myself (My savings is based from the quotes I got from.....wait for it....contractors.).
The flow of money is wrong when it comes to construction; your architect is the important figue in your project. Get a good one, and handle the plans yourself. Do the leg work, hire the SAME GUYS the contractor was going to hire and cut out the middle man. Price materials, and be careful. Don't give anyone money up front; pay them when the job is done.
My garage is perfect and I didn't lift a hammer, and I paid exactly what my research indicated i'd pay to the "T".
Or...
Call a contractor.

Give this guy a try!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:50 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,345,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Az2Ny View Post
08-26-2010, 09:57 AM
[SIZE=5]scottzilla[/SIZE]

I'm amazed anyone even pays a contractor at all. Do your homework. I saved an easy $10,000 building my two car garage by doing the leg work myself (My savings is based from the quotes I got from.....wait for it....contractors.).
The flow of money is wrong when it comes to construction; your architect is the important figue in your project. Get a good one, and handle the plans yourself. Do the leg work, hire the SAME GUYS the contractor was going to hire and cut out the middle man. Price materials, and be careful. Don't give anyone money up front; pay them when the job is done.
My garage is perfect and I didn't lift a hammer, and I paid exactly what my research indicated i'd pay to the "T".
Or...
Call a contractor.

Give this guy a try!

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

In this guys case I would get quotes from contractors. Insurance is paying for it, so the money aspect isn't critical.
I understand how you feel. As a contractor, the last thing you need is for homeowners to arm themselves with knowledge and start understanding there is NOTHNG magical about what you do for a living. That would be bad for business, huh?

Old 10-14-2010, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
In this guys case I would get quotes from contractors. Insurance is paying for it, so the money aspect isn't critical.
I understand how you feel. As a contractor, the last thing you need is for homeowners to arm themselves with knowledge and start understanding there is NOTHNG magical about what you do for a living. That would be bad for business, huh?
Hardly, LOL!!

When homeowners are able to attack the scale of projects we do then I will start too worry. Never happen.

Christ, most of them can't even pick out plumbing fixtures. This is why they hire Architectural firms for $200,000 plus.

It's funny you mention magic, there isn't enough of it in the world to help you or any other homeowner get through one of these projects.

I respect talent in any field of work. I recognize that most of the homeowners I mention above are far better than me in their fields of work.
You build a garage "without lifting a hammer" and think you and people like you could put highly skilled contractors out of work? Your a Silly Silly Man.

Old 10-14-2010, 08:16 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,894 times
Quote:
Hardly, LOL!!

When homeowners are able to attack the scale of projects we do then I will start too worry. Never happen.

Christ, most of them can't even pick out plumbing fixtures. This is why they hire Architectural firms for $200,000 plus.

It's funny you mention magic, there isn't enough of it in the world to help you or any other homeowner get through one of these projects.

I respect talent in any field of work. I recognize that most of the homeowners I mention above are far better than me in their fields of work.
You build a garage "without lifting a hammer" and think you and people like you could put highly skilled contractors out of work? Your a Silly Silly Man.
Huh? Myself and most of my friends do most of the work on their own houses. I don't do really big projects just for time savings, and even then its just to get the walls to spackled and I'll handle the rest.

As for a garage, plenty of places have "stock" plans for garages in many sizes and can accomodate differences such as higher walls for lifts or extra rear space etc. I'd probably just do those plans, no need for an archi on something that simple, its a garage not a tower.

As for prices, I'd get the full price, then do the demo myself (save myself hte money and pocket the cash), then have the contractor come do the rest. Real money is going to be if theres any foundation damage.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Hardly, LOL!!

Hardly! LOL
The reputaion of contractors speaks for itself.
Sure, many homeowners are just plain dumb and the banks throwing money at them created a nice little situation where people were calling contractors for simple things (Like installing a door or window). The truth is, there will always be a need for construction.
You are so offended (Thretened) by my comments because they are correct. Construction is a needed industry, but paying YOU to hire a crew is just plain stupid.
Don't fret, you will be busy again when the bubble reinflates.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
Hardly! LOL
The reputaion of contractors speaks for itself.
Sure, many homeowners are just plain dumb and the banks throwing money at them created a nice little situation where people were calling contractors for simple things (Like installing a door or window). The truth is, there will always be a need for construction.
You are so offended (Thretened) by my comments because they are correct. Construction is a needed industry, but paying YOU to hire a crew is just plain stupid.
Don't fret, you will be busy again when the bubble reinflates.

"Don't fret, you will be busy again when the bubble reinflates."

Really, I am just finishing a two year project in Sands Point and moving on to another. You are in way over you head with me and to be honest I don't know why I am wasting my time with you. It might be the jerk factor.

"You are so offended (Thretened) by my comments because they are correct."

Thretened? Again you are a silly silly man.

"people were calling contractors for simple things (Like installing a door or window)"

I agree, most people can do these things and save money. Some people cannot change a light bulb.

To clarify, You hiring sub contractors to build your garage (good for you)to me is the equivalent of me making a wood paper weight back in shop class. Get over yourself. Again, you are in way over you head with me son.

Ok Skippy, I will no longer waste time on your ignorance. That should leave you time to tackle that dog house you were thinking of building. But I have to warn you. You may actually have to pick up a hammer this time rookie.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
Huh? Myself and most of my friends do most of the work on their own houses. I don't do really big projects just for time savings, and even then its just to get the walls to spackled and I'll handle the rest.

As for a garage, plenty of places have "stock" plans for garages in many sizes and can accomodate differences such as higher walls for lifts or extra rear space etc. I'd probably just do those plans, no need for an archi on something that simple, its a garage not a tower.

As for prices, I'd get the full price, then do the demo myself (save myself hte money and pocket the cash), then have the contractor come do the rest. Real money is going to be if theres any foundation damage.

I agree with you 100%. I do not look down upon homeowners that are able to work on thier own houses. I am one of them. I am a 30yr carpenter and put my tools down 5 yrs ago and moved on to project management due to a bad back, knees, neck ect... That being said I still refuse to hire someone to work on my house. Many are hacks and why spend the money if you can do it yourself! All it costs is a little pain.

I was trying to make a point to the other poster that the homeowners we build for hire architectural firms and do not pick up hammers or call sub contractors. We are clearly talking about two different levels of residential construction here.

Old 10-15-2010, 09:22 AM

Quote:
"Don't fret, you will be busy again when the bubble reinflates."

Really, I am just finishing a two year project in Sands Point and moving on to another. You are in way over you head with me and to be honest I don't know why I am wasting my time with you. It might be the jerk factor.

"You are so offended (Thretened) by my comments because they are correct."

Thretened? Again you are a silly silly man.

"people were calling contractors for simple things (Like installing a door or window)"

I agree, most people can do these things and save money. Some people cannot change a light bulb.

To clarify, You hiring sub contractors to build your garage (good for you)to me is the equivalent of me making a wood paper weight back in shop class. Get over yourself. Again, you are in way over you head with me son.

Ok Skippy, I will no longer waste time on your ignorance. That should leave you time to tackle that dog house you were thinking of building. But I have to warn you. You may actually have to pick up a hammer this time rookie.

Ah, YOU call me out in this thread, than act like you are wasting time?
You are rather immature. All I am doing is voicing a different opinion than you and you can't handle it. Did I indicate in any way the average homeowner is capable of BUILDING A HOUSING DEVELOPMENT??
HUH??
THE TRUTH is contractors aren't needed for many home projects. I stand by my opinion. You have no argument, other than to name call.
I doubt people will wake up so you are free to prey on the uninformed.

Old 10-15-2010, 10:32 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
Be nice!

The OP asked for a referral, please stay on topic and help if you can
If the OP thought he (?) could do it himself, this thread wouldn't exist, agreed?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island