Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 09:23 AM

1,876 posts, read 2,676,759 times

Advertisements

I wish I could help ...Im a life long Suffolk County county resident.
If you can go further east I think youd be happier coming from CT.
Check Three Village/Ronkonkoma Commute or as a distant second
Half Hollow/Huntington Commute
C
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2007, 06:50 PM

29 posts, read 103,316 times
Hello there I live in Massapequa park and I like it here. I've lived her 8 years and have lived on LI (the south shore) all my life. Massapequa has great schools and has a quaint little town they call the village. There is the incorporated village of Mass pk and then the south areas. The "middle class" lives south of the tracks and north of the tracks is supposedly nicer and then there is south of Merrick road. That is where the $$ is and the beautiful houses and waterfront property. Pretty much all the houses south of Merrick road on Long Island you will find nicer and more expensive houses.
Birch lane is south of Merrick road and Unqua is right by Merrick road. Both of those schools have a mix of the rich and middle class kid. Fairfield, Mckenna are in the middle class neighborhoods. The schools all go into Berner middle school then the ninth grade center(forgot the name) then to Massapequa high school. All schools are great and I hear no complaints. Soccer and Baseball are huge here. There are a lot of beautiful parks in Massapequa and the mall and some great shopping is minutes away.

Wantagh and Merrick are great areas also. I lived in Wantagh as a kid and went to Mandalay school and liked it. I think you need to search around and find the area that suits you and your family the best. They are all great areas you listed. The schools are great and they have great services if you have a child with disabilities. I chose to live in Massapequa because the taxes were lower then other areas due to the industry (shopping) in the area.
If you have any other questions you can email me privately and I could help anyway I can.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:14 PM

2 posts, read 4,122 times
I moved to Plainview Long Island from NJ, my wife grew up in LI. Plainview is great! Tons of great resturants, shopping, everything is close. Extremly close to the LongIsland Expressway (495) which you take to NYC, and close to train stations. Taxes are not cheap, but the school system is suposibly great.

Old 07-26-2007, 04:56 AM

14 posts, read 63,472 times
It looks like we have a winner. We found a house in Roslyn Harbor that we adore- beautiful, 4 bedrooms, set back from the street, Roslyn schools, etc. After much discussion, my husband and I decided Roslyn would be a great place to start our new life in New York. We are calling the real estate today and hopefully see if we can bid on the house. We still love a lot of other towns, especially Lattingtown, Merrick, Massapequa, Bayville, and Woodbury. But we can't go on debating forever. All of these towns have great schools, low crime, clean, well kept homes, all of the things I was looking for. So it came down to where did we see our favorite house...and Roslyn Harbor it was.
I like the whole North Shore atmosphere (the fact that it has a more "rural" feel than the South Shore). We had talked to neighbors when we went to the open house two weeks ago, and they all seemed very happy with the neighborhood and the schools. Nearest Catholic church is St. Mary's in Manhasset, so that will become our parish.
Now to just find a nursery school for our 3 yr old. School starts in about 6 weeks, so I want to get her into a program soon. There are so many nursery schools in the area, and I toured a few. We are thinking The Growing Tree, Pierce Country Day School, Buckley Country Day School, Friends Together in Port Washington, and North Shore Day School in Glen Cove. Any advice?
Thanks for all of your help with everything!!

Old 07-26-2007, 05:29 AM

Welcome to the Gold Coast
Its a beautiful place to live if you've got the means.
(However Glastonbury will seem very humble in hindsight).

Best of luck to you all.

C

Old 09-27-2007, 12:19 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,271 times
Default South of Montauk, eh....

Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
Its all about the GC until you drive through the Hempstead.....As the middle of the island contiues to suffer Id be very cautious about dropping big dollars there.There's some beautiful pockets.....GC(if you got the coin) Dix Hills,Manorville but your safest bet will ALWAYS be N of 25a or South of Montauk.

Best
C

Mr. Clam Sir,
I seem to come across your posts everywhere that I seek long island data. I have to say though, although I agree with your opinions regarding suffolk over nassau I respectfully disagree on the south of montauk argument. I am married to a South Shore gal but the inconsistency along the south shore is far worse than the north. Bayshore, Bluepoint, Patchogue, Oakdale, Amityville, Freeport, Long Beach (schools are rough) etc, are all mediocre to poor at best...just my two cents. I enjoy your insights otherwise.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
Mr. Clam Sir,
I seem to come across your posts everywhere that I seek long island data. I have to say though, although I agree with your opinions regarding suffolk over nassau I respectfully disagree on the south of montauk argument. I am married to a South Shore gal but the inconsistency along the south shore is far worse than the north. Bayshore, Bluepoint, Patchogue, Oakdale, Amityville, Freeport, Long Beach (schools are rough) etc, are all mediocre to poor at best...just my two cents. I enjoy your insights otherwise.
Thanks JrProfess

As a rule of thumb, I just think that South of Montauk, particularly South of South Country in Suffolk is on par with most of the North Shore.

Your observation is astute....there are definitely more question marks along the South Shore.

They are both nice but smart money would buy North.

C

Old 09-27-2007, 01:46 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,108,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTtoLI View Post
It looks like we have a winner. We found a house in Roslyn Harbor that we adore- beautiful, 4 bedrooms, set back from the street, Roslyn schools, etc. After much discussion, my husband and I decided Roslyn would be a great place to start our new life in New York. We are calling the real estate today and hopefully see if we can bid on the house. We still love a lot of other towns, especially Lattingtown, Merrick, Massapequa, Bayville, and Woodbury. But we can't go on debating forever. All of these towns have great schools, low crime, clean, well kept homes, all of the things I was looking for. So it came down to where did we see our favorite house...and Roslyn Harbor it was.
So how did it go? Was your bid accepted?

Old 09-27-2007, 01:57 PM

14 posts, read 63,472 times
hello!
Sorry I have been MIA, things have been so hectic the past few months! But, yes our bid was accepted and we have been in the house since late August. I am loving it, and so are the kids. My 3 yr old goes to nursery school at Friends Together Nursery School in Port Washington, and we just love it! Our neighbors are wonderful, and although I do miss CT, I think everything will work out just fine. Thank you so much to all who helped and gave their suggestions!

Old 09-28-2007, 09:00 AM

1,359 posts, read 5,656,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTtoLI View Post
hello!
Sorry I have been MIA, things have been so hectic the past few months! But, yes our bid was accepted and we have been in the house since late August. I am loving it, and so are the kids. My 3 yr old goes to nursery school at Friends Together Nursery School in Port Washington, and we just love it! Our neighbors are wonderful, and although I do miss CT, I think everything will work out just fine. Thank you so much to all who helped and gave their suggestions!
Congrats to you. Best of luck. That's a beautiful area. Enjoy Roslyn village...it's a great town. Thyme restaurant is great!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island