Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2010, 03:24 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,791,104 times

Advertisements

Recently bought a ranch - smells moist downstairs, but read a de-humidifier may do more harm than good in the long run plus I'm not so sure I want to have to manage that thing year-round. How do those of you who frequently spend time down there make it feel as comfortable as the rest of the house? What flooring do you use, temperature control (heat/ac) etc.? We're trying to determine the best way to "do it up" so it's useable year-round.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2010, 08:00 PM

22,614 posts, read 36,512,094 times
You're going to be sorry if you don't use a dehumidifier. When my friend bought her house she was singing the praises of her basement because it was "so dry". I told it probably wasn't that dry and she should get a dehumidifier. She did not, and she stored a ton of baby stuff down there. When she went to get it out for the next baby, it was all so moldy she couldn't use it.

I can't imagine the harm of a dehumidifier (you'll really only need it in summer). It simply removes moisture from the air. We used one for 13 years with no issues. There's nothing to "manage" - when it is full, you remove the container of water, dump it out, and put it back in the dehumidifier.

As far as heating it - depending on the type of heat you have for your upstairs you may not need it. When we had steam heat, our basement was warm just from the steam pipes. Once we switched to hot water baseboard heat upstairs we needed a space heater down there. But our plumber told us it was would really simple to put in a baseboard down there. If we had stayed we would have done that.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:13 PM

19,579 posts, read 20,401,433 times
Sell it and buy something with a crawlspace or a slab. Or on pilings. Or a condo.
Basements suck. Almost more trouble than they're worth.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:41 PM

22,614 posts, read 36,512,094 times
^^^ And I agree with that as well. Don't miss it at all.

Old 09-23-2010, 08:43 PM

5,463 posts, read 7,037,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Sell it and buy something with a crawlspace or a slab. Or on pilings. Or a condo.
Basements suck. Almost more trouble than they're worth.
I'm with you.

My basement is cement floors and walls and I paint it every 5 years or so.
Everything is off the floor on pallets or shelving.

I never had a water problem until this past March. You can never tell.

I would put your money towards something else...

Old 09-23-2010, 09:46 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,396,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
^^^ And I agree with that as well. Don't miss it at all.
I can't say I miss it either but I do have this primal urge to 'go downstairs' sometimes!!! Hopefully that'll pass with time.

Old 09-23-2010, 09:51 PM

130 posts, read 558,046 times
Refinished my basement over 20 years ago with carpeting and sheetrock and never had a problem. The addition of a pool table, dartboard, and TV made for many enjoyable evenings for my kids and their friends.

Old 09-23-2010, 11:09 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,718,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rh71 View Post
Recently bought a ranch - smells moist downstairs, but read a de-humidifier may do more harm than good in the long run plus I'm not so sure I want to have to manage that thing year-round. How do those of you who frequently spend time down there make it feel as comfortable as the rest of the house? What flooring do you use, temperature control (heat/ac) etc.? We're trying to determine the best way to "do it up" so it's useable year-round.
Finishing a basement (or half-finishing) is the best investment you can make. I've never seen so many basement-haters (the ones on this thread!)... Everyone I know tells me about how they wish they had a basement. The possibilities are endless. I would first inspect the outside of your house and gutters. Is rain pooling or running toward the foundation in any areas? If so, buy a gutter extension (cheap and will work wonders), make sure water is running at least 2-4 feet away from the foundation. I don't think a dehumidifier is absolutely necessary but it can't hurt. Where did you hear it could do more harm?

Next, do not do carpeting. That is asking for trouble. Go with cheap but nice looking $1.99 tiles from HDepot or Lowes or if you have friends that can hook you up with even better deals. Install those and put down an area rug and install baseboard heating and you are set. Pool table, card table, game room, mini-gym, sofa with flat screen and mini bar...whatever floats your boat. I would keep an area for storage as well. Good luck and congrats!

Old 09-23-2010, 11:16 PM

1,917 posts, read 7,080,942 times
I will never finish my unfinished basement. I love that I bought a house with an unfinished basement but maybe that is b/c I spent too much time in a basement in my younger years. Never again. Just doesn't appeal to me, the lack of air and natural light.

Old 09-24-2010, 12:08 AM

9,918 posts, read 23,022,637 times
I use a dehumidifier year-round. If you put it on a reasonable humidity level, it rarely runs in the Winter, but makes a huge difference in the Summer!

Never heard anything about using a dehumidifier being a bad thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island