Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2010, 01:46 PM

939 posts, read 2,681,376 times

Advertisements

Wow! I am a LI native who moved to Northerwestern Michigan (Traverse City) 6 years ago. I had a good job offer a few months ago in Plano, TX but my wife & I decided the heat would be too much. Visited the Plano area once & it was all beautiful, brand new, clean, nice people, great restauarants, etc. Moving to LI, you will be very disappointed. It is the total antithesis of Plano. Crowded, insane cost of living, major traffic problems. LI has 1 thing over Plano & that is ocean beaches. Other than that, nada. If you are set on moving to LI, it would be a great idea to come visit for a week or two, get a feel for the environs and make a decision as to whether or not it would be worth it. Best of luck w/whatever your ultimate decision is

Also, more car accidents per capita than anywhere else in the USA:

http://www.newsday.com/long-island/l...s-1.180?qr=1#1

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM777 View Post
Hi, i just am moving from Dallas area to NY, long island or some where close to NYC, problem being is that i am from Frisco, North Plano area, and loved the clean, brand new, everything. malls, stores, grocery stoeres, apartment communities, everythting brand new ( built in last 1 - 5 years ). i want to be in New York state, but still desire the newly developed town feeling. is that any where up there or just is ny area a different way of life. thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2010, 01:55 PM

270 posts, read 964,598 times
Hey JM777! Ironically, I live here on Long Island and have been doing research on Texas for myself and hubby for when he retires.
I have family in Plano, and I have been looking into Mckinney, Plano, Frisco etc. From what I can tell Texas seems really nice.....:-) (although i've never been there!......LOL)

I think our retirement $ will go alot further in Texas. We can get a huge house for alot less than what we paid for our 1,200 sq foot house here on Long Island. Long Island is sooooo expensive.....it's outrageous. There's no way to retire and stay living here unless your filthy rich....LOL

I think the cost of living in general is just cheaper in Texas

We are seriously looking into moving there when he retires

Old 09-27-2010, 02:01 PM

11,637 posts, read 12,706,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Hi,
I moved from Plano to Long Island. I moved purely because I needed a job right away. Here are somethings you need to know relative to the place you are coming from. Eventually you will get used to this and be at peace, but you have to go through this list ....

1. Walmarts, gyms and grocery stores are not open 24hrs.
2. You have to drive more to get somewhere, and I don't mean weekend escapades, but to do your daily chores around the home.
3. Its Freakin cold. Oh yeah ! and you are not allowed to wear shorts to work in the summer. You may even have to buy some suits and/or ties.
4. Darkness happens at 4 pm in winter instead of 8 pm.
5. Usually you will need a 20-30K increase in your pay to make sure you can break even at the end of the month.
6. Long Island is not NYC. For everything glamorous that you are coming here for..... people will ask you to go to NYC.
7. Be prepared for a huge degradation on the housing front for the same amount of $$$, it does not matter whether you rent or buy.
8. Delete the "Find Alternative Route" button from your GPS screen. If you are stuck in rush hour traffic just practice some Kegel exercises.
9. Do not search for small change when nearing a toll booth. Buy EZ Pass and smile at the booth and make sure your credit card is not over the limit.
10. Food options are more from where you are coming from (unless you do not mind point 2 above)
I highly doubt that it stays light until 8 PM in December or January in any part of Texas.

For a while, quite a few supermarkets were open 24 hours. Most have cut back to close at midnight, but there are a few still open 24 hours. Some CVS and Walgreens are open 24 hours. There are other minimarts open 24 hours.

Food options are subjective. I've always found that there was less outside of the NY area, except for Mexican stuff.

It will be colder. Maybe the OP would like to take up skiing or snowboarding.

If you have $$$, you can have a very nice quality of life on Long Island. Without $$$, it's kind of icky.

Old 09-27-2010, 02:18 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie78 View Post

our retirement $ will go alot further in Texas.
Fixed!

Old 09-27-2010, 03:41 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
Hey JM Allow me to answer this for you. Not long ago I was assigned to Long Island from the DFW metroplex only because they had to virtually beg and offer a nice incentives package. First off the salary had to be up to par with the cost of living and the local economy and be prepared to step back into the stone age. Long Island virtually has nothing to offer in ways of culture, sports, nightlife, or dining and the people are nasty. They hate their cops, school teachers, firefighters, and many other public servants. Long Island is a liberal mecca filled with people looking for hand outs. Forget NYC being your saving grace, the commute is backwards, expensive, and disastrous. Pick a few third world countries...over here it is like mingling with their natives.

Now I know this sounds extreme but I am comparing it to Plano, Frisco, Richardson, North Dallas, Arlington, etc... hear me out.

You don't have state tax, you have a republican governor, carry/concealed licenses, awesome night clubs..top dollar establishments. Sports arenas a stones throw away featuring the Stars, Mavericks, Rangers, Cowboys. Fast food restaurants of every variety. Long Island doesn't have sonic (maybe soon), Whataburger, Jacks. No Razoos, Real BBQ, Mexican is awful....I have had even better Italian in Dallas. Girls and guys take better care of themselves in Dallas.You have UT...Hook em horns! People here get pasty white and seem to age extremely fast. I have seen 20 somethings look like they are late 40's.

The weather is cold most of the year. only 3 months of summer if your lucky and a heatwave is in the 90's and wont last.

Your vehicle will disintegrate before your eyes with all the salt they pour on the roads and it is a known fact that Long Islanders can't drive. They are cave dwellers living in their basements until about 30 although some live their forever. I will say I-30, loop 820, I-35, and 635 have their moments but you better have popcorn and a book over here in traffic. The roads are awful...not like the super new highways over there.

If you buy a home be prepared...my annual property taxes are over $12,000...I wont even tell you what I paid but I can buy 3 or 4 homes over there that will blow it out of the water. They still use oil burners here and cesspools. I stayed away from that. Central air and gas heat.

LI is like a suburban experiment gone awry. There is absolutely nothing modern about it. You'll see. I know exactly what you were asking for. You won't get it but you will get LI's biggest excuse
"At least we have beaches" Yeah good luck with that.

I decided to come here because when I retire I will get a bundle based on my current salary then I am going back to Texas to live like royalty tax free.

If you decide to do it tell me what you think but I've been there brother and won't want another Texan roughing it.
Whoa...the italian food comment ruins all of your credibility.

But in short, Long island, and the surrounding metro area is about a hundred years older than the wide open flatness of new Texas 'burbs and was an outgrowth of a large immigrant city. Different strokes, different folks. City folks would likely not be impressed by the prevalence of 24 hour grocery stores (wahoo!) and Texas natives would likely hate the age of the country's first suburb and see no appeal. Can't we all just get along??

Old 09-27-2010, 08:40 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,581,218 times
And lets not forget

wait for it

wait for it

Dina Lohan was voted Long Islands mother of the year!

Cele|bitchy » Blog Archive » Dina Lohan gets mother of the year award from Long Island association

Old 09-28-2010, 06:03 AM

208 posts, read 492,217 times
if you wana move to Ny Move Upstate

Binghampton is ok

Old 09-28-2010, 07:15 AM

527 posts, read 1,019,989 times
wow- After reading this thread I looked online at houses in Plano, TX- Unbelievable- can get a 4br house with inground pool really nice for $250k- and their not a short sale! Looks beautiful- what are the taxes there? Just curious

Old 09-28-2010, 07:26 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,336,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinyc View Post
wow- After reading this thread I looked online at houses in Plano, TX- Unbelievable- can get a 4br house with inground pool really nice for $250k- and their not a short sale! Looks beautiful- what are the taxes there? Just curious
The houses get to be more expensive if you get into the heart of Dallas though and better school districts (just like everywhere else).
Look at Highland Park.... housing gets pricey up there.
Ok.. taxes.... I would definitely say that its a higher % of the home value in Texas, but that is also because of the lower housing prices compared to the NY area.
For example on a 200K house a 2% tax is about 4K per year.
The same house here on LI would be probably abt 350-400K atleast....
So even 1% on the LI house is about 4K per year.

All said and done I would say in general it takes less $$$ in Dallas to get your child into the same quality of school as on LI and for you to lead a similar lifestyle.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:33 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
Who would want those brutal temperatures from April to October? Hell I couldnt take the 3-4 weeks of 905+ degree temps. we had this summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island