Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 09:56 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,006,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
Who would want those brutal temperatures from April to October? Hell I couldnt take the 3-4 weeks of 905+ degree temps. we had this summer.
Not to mention those TXU electric bills!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 10:34 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,335,335 times
Quote:
Who would want those brutal temperatures from April to October? Hell I couldnt take the 3-4 weeks of 905+ degree temps. we had this summer.
I know summers can be real brutal.... here is a comparison between the 2 places....

Climatology Comparison for Dallas, TX (75261) - weather.com

I would take 76 or 83 in April or May anyday. Now, June July and Aug are really brutal, I mean really really brutal. But the good thing is that since places are open till late you can get out after 8 or 9 pm and have a nice time. What that means is that even in the worst season, you can STILL go out.

Having said that.... I think it should be more fun with upper 50s in Dec and Jan compared to here.... but there will be no snow for Christmas for sure, so they miss out on all that fun stuff.

Note: I hate any day under 40 degrees, so its very obvious how I feel about winter here.

Last edited by zulu400; 09-28-2010 at 10:50 AM..

Old 09-28-2010, 11:47 AM

1,615 posts, read 3,580,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
I know summers can be real brutal.... here is a comparison between the 2 places....

Climatology Comparison for Dallas, TX (75261) - weather.com

I would take 76 or 83 in April or May anyday. Now, June July and Aug are really brutal, I mean really really brutal. But the good thing is that since places are open till late you can get out after 8 or 9 pm and have a nice time. What that means is that even in the worst season, you can STILL go out.

Having said that.... I think it should be more fun with upper 50s in Dec and Jan compared to here.... but there will be no snow for Christmas for sure, so they miss out on all that fun stuff.

Note: I hate any day under 40 degrees, so its very obvious how I feel about winter here.
It was nice having beautiful springlike days in January and February...it was almost like periodic winter intermissions in Dallas.

Old 09-28-2010, 12:44 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
indeed it's a lot older here but hearing some of you describe LI, it's like we're in Detroit except without all the 187 calls.

We recently had a big decision to make as we sold our house and had every opportunity to leave LI and live in much bigger/newer homes among less dense areas but chose not to. I've been here since 1986 and while I'm sure I could use some expanding of horizons (outside of vacations / college elsewhere), it's not as terrible as everyone here makes it sound. We live a perfectly fine lifestyle here because we do have everything we could ever want, and so long as we don't live paycheck-to-paycheck, we're going about our lives with smiles on our faces. So what if there are better places? This isn't Beirut either. Not too long ago there was a thread asking which is better - LI or Orange County, CA... oh yeah it's really so horrific here that we get compared to such terrible places. I've been on quite a few week+ vacations and I promise you toward the end of all of them I could not wait to go back home.

To the OP, if your priority is "fresh" then you've got your answer. It's not for everybody here, but MANY do not mind it.

P.S. I love having 4 seasons.

Last edited by ovi8; 09-28-2010 at 01:05 PM..

Old 09-28-2010, 01:06 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,158,192 times
Spot on Rh71.

After all most packing up and leaving LI we decided to stay too. This latest recession made me look at the area in a different way. I know alot of people outside of the NY metro area that cannot find a job anywhere. I know there will always be work here for me and a good pay check.

When I looked into other areas and jobs most didnt even offer full health insurance, not to mention the 50% paycut I would have taken.
As another poster said...the people who are miserable here are the people who cant afford it here. And in that case would be miserable anywhere.

Old 09-28-2010, 01:33 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,580,789 times
Quote:
the people who are miserable here are the people who cant afford it here. And in that case would be miserable anywhere.
This is a common rationalization besides the beach excuse commonly thrown out there. Most people don't want to bend over and take it and so far I haven't seen any proof to back it up.

Old 09-28-2010, 02:19 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,335,335 times
Quote:
Spot on Rh71.

After all most packing up and leaving LI we decided to stay too. This latest recession made me look at the area in a different way. I know alot of people outside of the NY metro area that cannot find a job anywhere. I know there will always be work here for me and a good pay check.

When I looked into other areas and jobs most didnt even offer full health insurance, not to mention the 50% paycut I would have taken.
As another poster said...the people who are miserable here are the people who cant afford it here. And in that case would be miserable anywhere.
What has that got to do with weather ?

BTW I agree with rh71 too.... if you have enough money, then it makes no sense to compare where your dollar goes further. Unfortunately most of us cannot afford that luxury. Also, I like the 3 seasons !

And you are right, if you cannot afford it, you will be miserable. Just think about it.... if you can afford more somewhere else, then you will be less miserable than here .... get it ? I love where I live, but I could use more money to be less miserable

Also btw, since we are talking Dallas in this thread, their (DFW - thats what they call it there Dallas-Fortworth) unemployment rate has been less than the NY Metro area during this recession.

Sometimes your line of work or business is such that it is very hard to just uproot yourself and move to another place and do good, such decisions are pretty tough to make. As far as your 50% paycut goes, to me that is kinda extreme. But it does solves one question for the OP.... that if he/she is in your profession and is not getting a 100% increase in their pay, they should not even move here.

Old 09-28-2010, 03:15 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,258 times
Tx was the last into the recession and is/going to be one of the first out. lots of good industry moved there for the lower COL, less .gov interference, and more open market.

Comparing Tx to LI is almost inapplicable for most things. Unless your working in the city and pulling a major paycheck every day Tx is a much better alternative for you. Very little national-level industry on the island itself.

Old 09-28-2010, 08:03 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,594,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar99 View Post
if you wana move to Ny Move Upstate

Binghampton is ok

I went to college in upstate NY, do not listen to this man. Upstate NY is horrifically depressing. Its poor, the infrastructure is just gone, everyone is on welfare or works for the state, some of the people look like extras from Deliverance and crystal meth is popular.

And the winters....oh God the winters.

Old 09-29-2010, 08:05 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar99 View Post
if you wana move to Ny Move Upstate

Binghampton is ok
Lol, and apparently you guys gots an good edumacation too...look at those spelling mistakes, yeahh just where I 'wana' send me kiddies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island