Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 06:05 PM

59 posts, read 173,708 times

Advertisements

I understand one can avoid the penalty by surrendering the plates and not register the vehicle for the same amount of days for as long as the suspended plates were not returned.

But what about a transfer of ownership, would the new owner be responsible to pay the penalty because the previous owner had a lapse in auto insurance?

Could one gift the vehicle as a transfer of ownership and the new owner not register the vehicle?

Then in a separate transaction register the vehicle to avoid a fine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2010, 06:49 AM

22,633 posts, read 36,587,444 times
NY's DMV website is really user friendly believe it or not. Check it out:

New York State Department of Motor Vehicles - NYS DMV - NYSDMV - Driver - Vehicle

I'm sure it can answer your questions, good luck.

Old 09-29-2010, 09:25 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,661,161 times
What a previous owner did will not affect the new owner. However, depending on the legnth of the lapse the previous owners license will be suspended as well. The new owner can register the vehicle as soon as the title is signed over to them.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:22 PM

453 posts, read 1,531,812 times
Be careful! We had purchased a used car where the owner had allowed the registration/insurance to lapse and the owner had done it repeatedly and the DMV wouldn't allow us to register it because after a certain amount of time/offenses they attach the penalty to the vehicle (I guess to prevent others from registering the vehicle and avoid the penalty) They told us the lapse had been for over a year and so we wouldn't be able to register it for that length of time plus payment of the penalty. It doesn't show up on any title searches or carfax type search either, you only find out when you're standing there in the DMV.

Luckily, we were able to get our money back.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:07 PM

59 posts, read 173,708 times
Thanks or the information. I had the title transferred over to me but still had to pay for the lapse of the previous owner. The would not allow the vehicle to be registered until the lapse was paid. $8x27 days=$216 out of pocket.

Old 01-17-2011, 09:49 AM

1 posts, read 23,957 times
what is the max fine not not returning plates. there is a cap right?

Old 01-17-2011, 10:19 AM
Status: " You’re not getting another penny out of me" (set 6 days ago)

19,700 posts, read 20,506,282 times
I paid 1100 bucks one time for not returning plates on a lapse.

Old 02-20-2011, 04:46 PM

1 posts, read 23,823 times
Hi ,
I saw you post about paying 1100 .

I guess I am in the same boat now. I moved out of NY to NJ last year and bought NJ insurance while still driving on NY Plates. Its been 1 year and I just got NJ Plates.
Is there anyway I can get out of this mess without paying a heft fine to NY. I guess its capped at 1100 ( inlcuded 50 for removing license suspension) ?

Btw..I have done this in MD and VA before and never had a problem.

In NYS, it seems they suspended my license and Plates after 90 days. However they sent me an mail to my old address in NY which got forwarded to me after 6 months in NJ via USPS. I didn't know of this rule and even after I got the letter I was so busy travelling due to work that I couldn't visit DMV. So getting jacked now as NJ is not giving me a license until NY lifts the hold.

Let me know if anyway DMV makes exceptions or anything which you think can work in your experience.

Rgds

Old 02-20-2011, 06:13 PM

8,802 posts, read 21,216,368 times
I had to send my New York plates to (I think) Medford all the way from California.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-15-2012, 06:40 PM

2 posts, read 23,631 times
Default Helppppp!!....;(

Hi cool!
Today I got exactly same thing like you....
Tomorrow I'm going to DMV to try to resolve it but I understood I'll not be able to register my car for 8 month(!!)..... And the same with my drive license....
Do you know if I have any exit from that???
Do I need a lawyer???
How your story ended?
I'll appreciate your reply so I can be ready....
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cool7470 View Post
Hi ,
I saw you post about paying 1100 .

I guess I am in the same boat now. I moved out of NY to NJ last year and bought NJ insurance while still driving on NY Plates. Its been 1 year and I just got NJ Plates.
Is there anyway I can get out of this mess without paying a heft fine to NY. I guess its capped at 1100 ( inlcuded 50 for removing license suspension) ?

Btw..I have done this in MD and VA before and never had a problem.

In NYS, it seems they suspended my license and Plates after 90 days. However they sent me an mail to my old address in NY which got forwarded to me after 6 months in NJ via USPS. I didn't know of this rule and even after I got the letter I was so busy travelling due to work that I couldn't visit DMV. So getting jacked now as NJ is not giving me a license until NY lifts the hold.

Let me know if anyway DMV makes exceptions or anything which you think can work in your experience.

Hi cool!
Today I got exactly same thing like you....
Tomorrow I'm going to DMV to try to resolve it but I understood I'll not be able to register my car for 8 month(!!)..... And the same with my drive license....
Do you know if I have any exit from that???
Do I need a lawyer???
How your story ended?
I'll appreciate your reply so I can be ready....
Thanks!

Rgds
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island