Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2010, 10:57 AM

27 posts, read 108,691 times

Advertisements

Hi can any one tell me if they would rec medford? i dont know any thing about it? i was wondering if any one can give me some info i am looking for apt.

Thank you
David
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-03-2010, 11:34 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Default A map of the Hamlet of Medford in the Town of Brookhaven, Suffolk County

Possibly except for the Hamlet of Gordon Heights, a small part of which has a "Medford, NY 11763" mailing address.

A map of the Hamlet of Medford in the Town of Brookhaven, Suffolk County:

The Hamlet of Medford has a different border than does the "Medford, NY 11763" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Medford, NY 11763" mailing address and not be in the Hamlet of Medford and a place can have other than a "Medford, NY 11763" mailing address and be in the Hamlet of Medford): places that have a "Medford, NY 11763" mailing address that are not in the Hamlet of Medford are in the Hamlet of North Bellport, the Hamlet of Yaphank and the Hamlet of Gordon Heights; and, at the same time, there are places in the Hamlet of Medford with a "Yaphank, NY 11980" and "Farmingville, NY 11738" mailing address.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:59 PM

764 posts, read 1,552,977 times
I live in medford. I just moved here but i have not had any problems. Seems safer then most areas on li actually. Also its about 20 min away from a lot of cool places.

Old 10-03-2010, 10:59 PM

27 posts, read 108,691 times
thank you for the info
i never new finding apt would be such a pain
i dont know how people find a house

Old 10-04-2010, 12:53 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times
If you don't have kids in school it might be okay but you have to be very specific what areas you are referring to. Gordon heights (no), Old Medford (not bad), Blue Ridge (very nice). If you have certain streets in mind it might help.

Old 10-05-2010, 12:23 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,767,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
If you don't have kids in school it might be okay but you have to be very specific what areas you are referring to. Gordon heights (no), Old Medford (not bad), Blue Ridge (very nice). If you have certain streets in mind it might help.

The most expensive homes in Medford are on Old Medford Rd.. I'd give it more than "not bad." Blue Ridge has a lot of welfare recepients, that's why Suffolk bus is routed in there. I've also have taken many of them to their doctor or SS appt. The county loves paying for cab to ride around recepients.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:38 AM

764 posts, read 1,552,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
The most expensive homes in Medford are on Old Medford Rd.. I'd give it more than "not bad." Blue Ridge has a lot of welfare recepients, that's why Suffolk bus is routed in there. I've also have taken many of them to their doctor or SS appt. The county loves paying for cab to ride around recepients.
YOU ARE WRONG about blue ridge. Blue ridge does not have a lot of welfare receipients. I live in blue ridge and I am not on welfare. I have talked to a lot of people and know people on the board. There are a lot of seniors here though.

There are 3000+ people at blue ridge you can't possible know ALL OF THEM.

Also as the seniors move out or die off the condos are being sold to people like me. Newly married and looking for a good cheap place to start a family. Where else on long island can you find a 2 bed condo with indoor and outdoor pool, 9 hole golf course, gym and cafe for $160k.

So do not say things as fact.

PS my mother works for the exact department you are talking about in suffolk county and even she says you are lying.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:09 PM

265 posts, read 944,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majortom1981 View Post
YOU ARE WRONG about blue ridge. Blue ridge does not have a lot of welfare receipients. I live in blue ridge and I am not on welfare. I have talked to a lot of people and know people on the board. There are a lot of seniors here though.

There are 3000+ people at blue ridge you can't possible know ALL OF THEM.

Also as the seniors move out or die off the condos are being sold to people like me. Newly married and looking for a good cheap place to start a family. Where else on long island can you find a 2 bed condo with indoor and outdoor pool, 9 hole golf course, gym and cafe for $160k.

So do not say things as fact.

PS my mother works for the exact department you are talking about in suffolk county and even she says you are lying.
Lol, owned.

This forum is ridiculous, people unfamiliar with certain areas just assume they are bad.

Old 10-05-2010, 10:11 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John9l0 View Post
Lol, owned.

This forum is ridiculous, people unfamiliar with certain areas just assume they are bad.
The other poster is a cabbie driving the recipients to and from Medford. A population receiving a disproportionate amount of social services doesn't necessarily mean an area is bad, but it doesn't mean an area is good, either.

If the OP is a single woman looking for an apartment, it is wise to warn them that there is a large number of registered sex offenders in the area.

If the OP is a single male, it's no big deal.

If the OP is considering living there and bringing in a fiancee or kids, he might want to do more research into the area and schools.

Old 10-06-2010, 06:25 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
The other poster is a cabbie driving the recipients to and from Medford. A population receiving a disproportionate amount of social services doesn't necessarily mean an area is bad, but it doesn't mean an area is good, either.

If the OP is a single woman looking for an apartment, it is wise to warn them that there is a large number of registered sex offenders in the area.

If the OP is a single male, it's no big deal.

If the OP is considering living there and bringing in a fiancee or kids, he might want to do more research into the area and schools.
It really depends what part of the town. Blue Ridge (like I stated before) is very nice. Alot of the old medford area (not the street) is nice as well. The granny road section east of 112 towards the heights... not so good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island