Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 12:09 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,480,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHP Guy View Post
Would you agree that none of that really should've been a surprise to you or your parents?
The emphasis on sporting was known to me. The dominance was unexpected. At the age of late thirteen/early 14, I was not thinking of girls because sex was a repressed topic in my family and I was so overweight and psychologically wrecked....I had little chance.

I was used to ranked grades from the Latin School (my time in Kellenberg's 7th and 8th grade). It took on a new level and fervor at Chaminade.

I do not know the exactitudes of my parents' thinking, but I can take a few stabs. My mother (college educated, upper middle class) married a cop from a blue collar family. Divorced by now, I doubt my father knew what to expect at all. That and his father was dying, so he had other priorities...

My mother expected a better calibre of kids than a public school, which was true. Enough were still rotten Moderator cut: language removed . Maternal relatives went to Chaminade.

My mother and grandmother promised me better times, which came in college, not in high school. Socially, it was the "same Moderator cut: language removed I had seen before, except they mindlessly mouthed the Lord's prayer or the Hail Mary.

Last edited by nancy thereader; 02-08-2011 at 06:47 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2011, 02:01 PM

3 posts, read 12,281 times
Amelorn, I can relate to your story through my husband. He went to Chaminade more than 20 years ago and has some very hard feelings toward that school. He remembers it being a very mean place where he was bullied by the boys and terrorized by the teachers. He has told me that he will not allow our sons to go there when they enter high school. Chaminade keeps sending their fundraising literature and he just throws it in the garbage.

Old 02-08-2011, 04:57 PM

294 posts, read 610,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amelorn View Post
The emphasis on sporting was known to me. The dominance was unexpected. At the age of late thirteen/early 14, I was not thinking of girls because sex was a repressed topic in my family and I was so overweight and psychologically wrecked....I had little chance.

I was used to ranked grades from the Latin School (my time in Kellenberg's 7th and 8th grade). It took on a new level and fervor at Chaminade.

I do not know the exactitudes of my parents' thinking, but I can take a few stabs. My mother (college educated, upper middle class) married a cop from a blue collar family. Divorced by now, I doubt my father knew what to expect at all. That and his father was dying, so he had other priorities...

My mother expected a better calibre of kids than a public school, which was true. Enough were still rotten bastards. Maternal relatives went to Chaminade.

My mother and grandmother promised me better times, which came in college, not in high school. Socially, it was the "same ol' sh--" I had seen before, except they mindlessly mouthed the Lord's prayer or the Hail Mary.

Fair enough.

I agree that the place is definitely not for everybody. When you're 14-18 years of age, you'll run into kids that are mean-spirited, and unfortunately there is no high school out there that is immune to that - as you alluded to.

For what it's worth, I made it into Chaminade, but decided to go to another co-ed Catholic H.S.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:21 AM

2 posts, read 2,512 times
Chaminade and Sacred Heart are the best by far. Ward Melville is the best public high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island