Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 02:38 PM

1,726 posts, read 4,038,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
We can't even leave our house on weekends this time of year. My neighborhood is wedged between Rt 25 & Rt 25A just at the base of Sound Ave.
All of the Nass-holes & Cit-iots completely forget how to drive & somehow they think its ok for their toddlers to wander out on to Rt 25 while they put the pumpkins in the back of the navigator.
Its crazy.
Very clever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2010, 03:00 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,769,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KellyFG View Post
We can't even leave our house on weekends this time of year. My neighborhood is wedged between Rt 25 & Rt 25A just at the base of Sound Ave.
All of the Nass-holes & Cit-iots completely forget how to drive & somehow they think its ok for their toddlers to wander out on to Rt 25 while they put the pumpkins in the back of the navigator.
Its crazy.

Are we talking about those two farm stands on rt25 east of Wm Floyd. and west of the Wading River motel? It is a madhouse there. Lines of cars and kids jutting out into the street. You're smart to avoid that area.

I usually go to Cheryl's in Calverton. It's self service for small items and if you want something larger someone will go to the farm in the back and pick it or cut it down for you. That's fresh!

Old 10-10-2010, 06:12 PM

734 posts, read 1,636,428 times
OMG the traffic on Rt 25A and Sound Ave today was a joke! Backed up for miles and miles! Thankfully, I know many back roads. One farm stand, near the corner of Edwards Ave and Rt 25A , was having some kind of shindig. There must have been 60 cars parked in the road. And like someone here said earlier, they walk in the road! Hello???? It's a freakin' ROAD! I went to the Riverhead Fair today and I am shocked at how large this fair is still. Last time I was there was about 14 yrs ago (cuz I moved to Pa). Pretty interesting but uncomfortably crowded. Just a tip: When you hit the fairs, avoid getting the "NEW" corn bread with mozzeralla cheese grilled thingy. It is $4 a pop and I ended up feeding it to the sea gulls and getting a knish.

Old 10-10-2010, 06:36 PM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
That traffic sucks.
I avoid that area like the plague whenever I go visit my folks.
I just think to myself...what if lived right here(insert any random house on the north road) and just needed a gallon of milk? I'd be locked up right now for sure because I definitely would've killed or seriously harmed somebody.
Ha, probabally the reason I grow my own pumpkins...

Old 10-10-2010, 07:48 PM

180 posts, read 604,311 times
Out in Water Mill the big farm across from Duck Walk had traffic backed up for 30 minutes all weekend on 27. 2 years ago we picked our own. It was insane this year! They trucked in a ****load of pumpkins and opted for rides and attractions instead. Also it was Columbus day weekend so it was insane out there.

Old 10-10-2010, 08:13 PM

734 posts, read 1,636,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
That traffic sucks.
I avoid that area like the plague whenever I go visit my folks.
I just think to myself...what if lived right here(insert any random house on the north road) and just needed a gallon of milk? I'd be locked up right now for sure because I definitely would've killed or seriously harmed somebody.
Ha, probabally the reason I grow my own pumpkins...
I would assume people that live on those roads prepare for week ends like most others do for hurricanes. LOL

Old 10-11-2010, 10:00 AM

241 posts, read 732,625 times
The farms have become such a zoo. I will buy pumpkins else where and take pictures on my lawn! As far as fresh produce goes, I can purchase the same thing and at times better quality in the organic section of Whole Foods. The whole "Agritainment" industry is really taking away from the charm of the farms. I remember going to these farms when I was a kid, without the hustle and bustle of the crowds. That was an authentic experience...nowadays, laughable. Even the packaged products (jams, pickled food, ciders) have labels indicating that they were produced no where on Long Island. So much for "local" food.

Old 10-11-2010, 01:53 PM

764 posts, read 1,553,703 times
Default hmm

I live in blueridge in medford. I just moved here. I am pretty close to the farms. In the summer i was talking to a worker i nthe farms and was told since I am pretty local come on the weekdays if you must. Avoid the weekends.

IF I want a pumpkin since most are not even grown here anymore I just will pick it up from Country fair right down the road. No huge crowds or anything when i went yesterday .

Old 10-11-2010, 04:43 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,245,633 times
I was out there this weekend and had a great time as usual. From what I remember, Columbus Day weekend has always been a zoo so I wasn't surprised. The pumpkins I "picked" were most likely rolled into the field on top of an actual pumpking patch as I could see the vines with some smaller pumpkins attached to them. Either way, my kids enjoyed everything and we will be back next year. Of course they are ripping you off at .55/pound when I can get them at a supermarket for much less but my kids played there for at elast an hour so I say it is worth it.

Old 10-13-2010, 07:26 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,236,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
I can't even put real pumpkins out at my house. They become a buffet for the animals and are destroyed in a couple of days.
spray them with bitter apple (can be found in pet stores). works every time
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island