Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 07:58 AM

549 posts, read 2,194,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deevee View Post
I think you misunderstood NY-Dallas' response! If you read the origional post, the writer mentions that he/she DOENST want to be in an all "wasp or jewish" area. (This is America)
NY-Dallas was just pointing out that Great Neck might not fit their criteria. Im sure that he/she didnt mean anything by it. Im a jew and I took no offense.
Thank you for comprehending.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2007, 11:13 AM

216 posts, read 829,498 times
Sorry folks. I have a knee jerk reaction sometimes, as I've encountered so much antisemitic crap on some of these boards. Most of the time it's from very ignorant and angry people who are looking for an outlet for their own misery.

Great Neck is indeed home to a large jewish community of varying levels of observance.

However, I do know too, that the GN South school district has a very significant asian population. It's been that way for years and years, and the schools are excellent.

House prices, on the other hand, well.....let's just say that all of the north shore is ridiculous.

Probably south shore too, but I know this area better.

Old 07-06-2007, 06:22 AM

137 posts, read 744,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mar1lyn27 View Post
Sorry folks. I have a knee jerk reaction sometimes, as I've encountered so much antisemitic crap on some of these boards. Most of the time it's from very ignorant and angry people who are looking for an outlet for their own misery.

Great Neck is indeed home to a large jewish community of varying levels of observance.

However, I do know too, that the GN South school district has a very significant asian population. It's been that way for years and years, and the schools are excellent.

House prices, on the other hand, well.....let's just say that all of the north shore is ridiculous.

Probably south shore too, but I know this area better.
I totally understand!

Old 07-07-2007, 05:28 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,074,604 times
I sound rah rah for Babylon, but why not look into it? The town is walkable and has a lot of interesting shops, including Sherry's Gourmet, which is a health food store with very unique products.

You are close to Sunrise Hwy and Main Street and you can get to many places from this central location. It's a town with a lot of diversity, a lovely park, and you are also near some fantastic beaches.

I am not sure about house prices but you can look that up as well as schools. There is a private Catholic school that has a good rating.

Old 09-29-2007, 06:44 PM

4 posts, read 13,620 times
By far Locust Valley and surrounding area is the nicest area in Nassau County and the public schools are fine. Forget Great Neck, it is SO gaudy, tacky, and filled with rude people - and Locust Valley is more beautiful anyway. Houses are pretty expensive though, but pretty much every where.

Old 09-29-2007, 06:52 PM

4 posts, read 13,620 times
Default Why are all the new houses in Great Neck/Kings Point so tacky?

Just out of curiosity, I think Kings Point is very nice but all the new houses are so tacky - they totally don't fit in with the surrounding and original architecture?

Old 09-29-2007, 07:30 PM

5,224 posts, read 5,013,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antipode12 View Post
Them's thar are a lot of questions.

I'm a teacher here for 10 years, so I think i can help you a bit on some of them, at least.

There are appreciable differences between Nassau and Suffolk. Nassau has a more "finished" and gentrified feel in places, more in the way of activities, shopping, dining, and arts. But there's also more of traffic, housing density, and taxes. Essentially, its a sliding scale beginning west on the Queens border heading east into Suffolk.

For the record, I am more partial to Suffolk: relatively, it is less congested, costly, gauche, and rude. It gets a little NASCAR as you head east, though. And I am quite partial to the lively and diverse arts and social scene, and to the (again relatively) progressive politics of Huntington.

That said, Suffolk's schools are generally weaker. Especially Huntington hamlet. (The other districts in Huntington are better: Cold Spring Harbor, Harborfields, Half Hollow Hills, S. Huntington, Elwood.)

If you are willing to be a little east, Port Jefferson might fit your bill nicely, being both diverse and educated. Also, Three Village (Stony Brook, near the university) and Kings Park are good districts where your budget and other criteria will be met easily. In Suffolk, basically, the North Shore from about Miller Place west to Cold Spring Harbor are good districts. Stay away from the South Shore.

Nassau's different. There are good districts: the famous Jericho, Manhasset, Port Washington, Herricks, North Shore, Syosset and Great Neck districts come to mind. Slightly lower tiered: Bellmore-Merrick, Wantagh, Hewlett, Locust Valley.

But I wouldn't move your family to most of these towns. Typically, they can be insular, gaudy, and unfriendly. I'd say Sea Cliff, Great Neck, Port Washington, and Syosset might be your best bets. The first three can get expensive, though. You could probably find something in your price range in Syosset.

I can't speak to your other questions too well, but LI is certainly cheaper than Manhattan. In Syosset, for example, you'll find 2000 sq ft for about 550k.
She's pretty much on the ball.. Syosset will fit nicely into your criteria and price range. Plainview is an option too.. good schools as well.

You should drive around those neighborhoods and the school to see the people that are going to the school to get a feel for the mix.

Good luck.

Old 09-29-2007, 07:51 PM

45 posts, read 167,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
I sound rah rah for Babylon, but why not look into it? The town is walkable and has a lot of interesting shops, including Sherry's Gourmet, which is a health food store with very unique products.

You are close to Sunrise Hwy and Main Street and you can get to many places from this central location. It's a town with a lot of diversity, a lovely park, and you are also near some fantastic beaches.

I am not sure about house prices but you can look that up as well as schools. There is a private Catholic school that has a good rating.
Didn't you see the PP said to "Stay away from the South Shore."

I like Babylon too...

Old 09-29-2007, 09:55 PM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevee View Post
I find this very interesting. I am from the south shore of Nassau County. (40+ years) Im wondering where youve gotten your information. Yes our school districts do rate MUCH better than Suffolk county,and the traffic is a bit worse here, but as for the rest of your comments, you are wrong. We are welcoming and friendly. There are all types in both places.

As far as the origional question, do not rule out the south shore. There are some great towns here. Rockville Centre, Oceanside, Massapequa, Wantagh. All good schools.
Im not familiar with private schools, so I cant help there.
Hospitals...any connected with the LI Jewish are very good. Also the South Nassau Winthrop group is good. Mercy in RVC also very good.

As always, do reserch reserch reserch.
Good Luck NYCPerson

I am a bit surprised by the Nassau Schools rate "MUCH" better comment. We moved from Nassau to Suffolk and once we got over the shock that there are more than potato farms out here realized there are some exceptionally strong districts, on par with most any Nassau district. For every Syosset there is a Cold Spring Harbor or Harborfields or Half Hollow Hills. All excellent. As are Three Village out east, Commack, Smithtown, Sayville down south shore, etc. Each county has rougher areas but the one benefit of our ridiculous taxes (regardless of county) is there are many solid districts. The one thing though that I would say Suffolk Schools lack are a district that has a level of diversity as well as a very strong academic track record. Half Hollow Hills comes closest, but our districts out here do not well in building some of the diversity other districts like Great Neck seem to be moving toward.

Old 09-30-2007, 07:08 AM

5,224 posts, read 5,013,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
I am a bit surprised by the Nassau Schools rate "MUCH" better comment. We moved from Nassau to Suffolk and once we got over the shock that there are more than potato farms out here realized there are some exceptionally strong districts, on par with most any Nassau district. For every Syosset there is a Cold Spring Harbor or Harborfields or Half Hollow Hills. All excellent. As are Three Village out east, Commack, Smithtown, Sayville down south shore, etc. Each county has rougher areas but the one benefit of our ridiculous taxes (regardless of county) is there are many solid districts. The one thing though that I would say Suffolk Schools lack are a district that has a level of diversity as well as a very strong academic track record. Half Hollow Hills comes closest, but our districts out here do not well in building some of the diversity other districts like Great Neck seem to be moving toward.

The only reason why Nassau has more "diversity" is because Queens is spilling over into Nassau and with that comes diversity. It will end upop in Suffolk County soon and the sprawl from Queens spreads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island