Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 09:57 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,343,094 times

Advertisements

They are building a Habitat house on Station Road right now. It's right next to a boarded up house.
I don't understand charities. They build one house in a bad neighborhood which in reality doesn't even equate to one drop in the bucket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 11:34 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,473,399 times
If they did all the foreclosures, let the market drop, which would return prices to near-sane levels we wouldn't need as many Habitat houses.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:40 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
Yeah, North Bellport is a very scary place in my opinion. Last time I went there like 1/3 homes were for sale or abandoned, most of the lawns looked overgrown or just dirt/weeds and most of the homes were derelict and it just looked very neglected. There have been a lot of habitat for humanity houses and houses of other affordable housing programs to improve the area but some people just don't keep up with them. It's just a creepy place, especially at night. There was a decent sub-division like area there but that's the only nice thing I can think about in the area unfortunately. My father owns and rents out several properties in the area as an investment and in 2 of his houses, homeless people or drug addicts or somebody broke in and stole the pipes in both homes.

(i'm referring to North Bellport South of Sunrise and North of Montauk/County Rd. 80.)

But anyways, I just think that she needs to just adjust to that environment. Even though many of the people there may "look tough", most people there actually won't bother you if you don't bother them.
I hate to break it to you, but, the reason that section of North Bellport is and has been such a hellhole is because of ABSENTEE LANDLORDS who ruined the neighborhood.

Back in the day, there was some kind of HUD deal for cheap houses over there that were only supposed to go to prospective homeowners of modest income who would live in the home. Somehow (via bribery I guess) most of the homes (the VAST MAJORITY of them) were not sold to be owner-occupied, but ended up in the paws of ABSENTEE LANDLORDS who IMMEDIATELY made it a Section 8 haven and let anyone live there and do anything they wanted since most of the rent was paid by the government and since said landlords didn't have to live in the neighborhood. This has been going on for several decades. That is why North Bellport is so "scary" as you put it.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:47 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,767,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I hate to break it to you, but, the reason that section of North Bellport is and has been such a hellhole is because of ABSENTEE LANDLORDS who ruined the neighborhood.

Back in the day, there was some kind of HUD deal for cheap houses over there that were only supposed to go to prospective homeowners of modest income who would live in the home. Somehow (via bribery I guess) most of the homes (the VAST MAJORITY of them) were not sold to be owner-occupied, but ended up in the paws of ABSENTEE LANDLORDS who IMMEDIATELY made it a Section 8 haven and let anyone live there and do anything they wanted since most of the rent was paid by the government and since said landlords didn't have to live in the neighborhood. This has been going on for several decades. That is why North Bellport is so "scary" as you put it.

It's a shame. I usually see something nice about every area I've been to but that area just has no good qualities. It sad that people who don't even live there started its downward spiral.

Old 10-11-2010, 02:51 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
It's a shame. I usually see something nice about every area I've been to but that area just has no good qualities. It sad that people who don't even live there started its downward spiral.
Might as well be a part of some of the most infamous NYC projects due to what the absentee landlords did to it. NYC has to take care of their poor people according to their government bylaws so of course they are stuck with the worst of the worst mixed in with the decent but poor. That section of North Bellport was CREATED AND STANDS AS WHAT IT IS as a Section 8 money-making scheme. If it had been allowed to develop naturally, with homeowners who lived in the houses, instead of the greedy hog absentee landlords sticking their snouts in, it would be a lot different.

Old 10-11-2010, 06:07 PM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Nobody in what we here on this forum would consider a "decent" community wants affordable housing, section 8, habitat for humanity or anything else of the sort in their neighborhood. That's just how it is. that's why most of this stuff ends up in da hood. I admit, I wouldn't want it on my block. Too risky. Yeah, you could end up with someone who really would appreciate it and take care of the home and become an upstanding citizen in the community, but unfortunately that's the exception, not the norm. Mostly you end with a single mom, who wants to do good for herself and her kids, but always makes bad relationship decisions and ends up with the unemployed boyfriend who spends all her money on drugs and beer and parts for a car that never runs, and then the house starts looking all unlived in and everything, and cops be showing up a few times a week for domestics, and, ugh, you know what I mean...

Old 10-12-2010, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Not True. Spicy's chicken is awesome.

Old 10-12-2010, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Might as well be a part of some of the most infamous NYC projects due to what the absentee landlords did to it. NYC has to take care of their poor people according to their government bylaws so of course they are stuck with the worst of the worst mixed in with the decent but poor. That section of North Bellport was CREATED AND STANDS AS WHAT IT IS as a Section 8 money-making scheme. If it had been allowed to develop naturally, with homeowners who lived in the houses, instead of the greedy hog absentee landlords sticking their snouts in, it would be a lot different.

100% true.

North Bellport coulda been the next Rocky Point!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island