Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 09:50 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,872 times

Advertisements

Fearful E. Patchogue mom: 'Habitat for Humanity' house a nightmare

Ok for one I'm glad someone is trying to draw attention to the crime issue in the area, the lady has some good ideas and hopefully it won't get to Huntington Station levels if it isn't there already.

Secondly, can anyone tell me if Habitat for Humanity houses are free? If so where did this lady think she was moving to? You think they're giving away free houses in Southampton?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2010, 10:03 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,329,111 times
Yeah, North Bellport is a very scary place in my opinion. Last time I went there like 1/3 homes were for sale or abandoned, most of the lawns looked overgrown or just dirt/weeds and most of the homes were derelict and it just looked very neglected. There have been a lot of habitat for humanity houses and houses of other affordable housing programs to improve the area but some people just don't keep up with them. It's just a creepy place, especially at night. There was a decent sub-division like area there but that's the only nice thing I can think about in the area unfortunately. My father owns and rents out several properties in the area as an investment and in 2 of his houses, homeless people or drug addicts or somebody broke in and stole the pipes in both homes.

(i'm referring to North Bellport South of Sunrise and North of Montauk/County Rd. 80.)

But anyways, I just think that she needs to just adjust to that environment. Even though many of the people there may "look tough", most people there actually won't bother you if you don't bother them.

Last edited by LongIslandPerson; 10-09-2010 at 10:21 PM..

Old 10-09-2010, 10:08 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,768,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandPerson View Post
Yeah, North Bellport is a very scary place in my opinion. Last time I went there like 1/3 homes were for sale or abandoned, most of the lawns looked overgrown or just dirt/weeds and most of the homes were derelict and it just looked very neglected. There have been a lot of habitat for humanity houses and houses of other affordable housing programs to improve the area but some people just don't keep up with them. My father owns and rents out several properties in the area as an investment and in 2 of his houses, homeless people or drug addicts or somebody broke in and stole the pipes in both homes.

(i'm referring to North Bellport South of Sunrise and North of Montauk/County Rd. 80.)

But anyways, I just think that she needs to just adjust to that environment. Even though many of the people there may "look tough", most people there actually won't bother you if you don't bother them.

People are making lots of money selling copper.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:13 PM

1,456 posts, read 4,329,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
Yeah, true. LOL, it's amazing what crackheads will steal. They not only took the pipes but the sinks, building supplies and I even heard they were stealing those white shiny fences. It's just ridiculous! Like, just get a damn job, it really pisses me off

Old 10-09-2010, 10:33 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Default Monthly High, Low & Closing, $-lb., Refined Copper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
At $3.77-70/100 a pound, refined copper is near record high prices.

Monthly High, Low & Closing, $-lb., Refined Copper
Attached Thumbnails
Two issues here-monthlyhighlowclosecopper.png  

Old 10-09-2010, 10:37 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
Secondly, can anyone tell me if Habitat for Humanity houses are free?
Some form of sweat equity is usually required.

Old 10-09-2010, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
At $3.77-70/100 a pound, refined copper is near record high prices.

Monthly High, Low & Closing, $-lb., Refined Copper

Wow! Where can I steal some copper? Crackheads have the right idea.

Old 10-09-2010, 11:12 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,474,258 times
Buy a gun, keep it loaded.

Short of that, unless you can get the community to upscale itself your kind of SOL.

Old 10-10-2010, 12:44 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,745,437 times
"But the single mother of three said her life has begun "to resemble a nightmare" because of the crime engulfing her North Bellport-East Patchogue neighborhood.

"My children and I have become prisoners in our own home," she said in riveting..."

Oh come on now lady..that area is full of diversity and is a vibrant area. Stop being so overly-dramatic.. maybe if people stop generalizing about bad areas, all the problems there will go POOF and be gone. It's simply the lady's(and everyone else's perception of the area) that is the problem here.

/
/
/
/I hate sarcasm, but once in a while it needs to be done.

Old 10-10-2010, 01:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
"But the single mother of three said her life has begun "to resemble a nightmare" because of the crime engulfing her North Bellport-East Patchogue neighborhood.

"My children and I have become prisoners in our own home," she said in riveting..."

Oh come on now lady..that area is full of diversity and is a vibrant area. Stop being so overly-dramatic.. maybe if people stop generalizing about bad areas, all the problems there will go POOF and be gone. It's simply the lady's(and everyone else's perception of the area) that is the problem here.

/I hate sarcasm, but once in a while it needs to be done.

That area is not diverse at all. It's mostly black with some Latinos. Baldwin, Riverhead, New Hyde Park, Hampton Bays, Valley Stream, Montauk are diverse areas. Get it right, if you're going to be sarcastic. Don't confuse low income or majority non-white as diverse.

EX.
Flushing-main st, Queens is not diverse.
Pelham Parkway, The Bronx is diverse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island