Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 09:14 PM

840 posts, read 2,445,362 times

Advertisements

Greetings. Me, my wife and my 3 boys live in Franklin Square but have always liked Sea Cliff and have reservations about the High School here that the kids would attend. Aside from a longer train ride into manhattan, can anyone give me any other caveats or reason not to do it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2010, 06:09 AM

1,725 posts, read 4,035,808 times
One major drawback is that it is off the beaten path, but that is also a good thing. Good schools, small town feel, nice place to live and raise a family.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:41 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Well, if you can afford the tradeup it's certainly a no brainer. I wouldn't live in Franklin Square if I could afford Sea Cliff.

If you want a nice town with a quick commute you've also got one right next door - Garden City.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:04 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,768,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
Well, if you can afford the tradeup it's certainly a no brainer. I wouldn't live in Franklin Square if I could afford Sea Cliff.

If you want a nice town with a quick commute you've also got one right next door - Garden City.

The commutes not so bad if you go to Manhasset to pick up the rail.

Old 10-11-2010, 09:08 AM

yeah, we looked in garden city, but my aunt lives there as well as a few friends who are not enchanted with the vibe of the town and think sea cliff is a better value. I am looking at houses between 600- 775. we like franklin square and the elementary schools are excellent but we want more house and aren't in love with Carey as the high school option.

Quote:

Old 10-11-2010, 09:50 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Wel, I just moved from GC and I can see your point. However, I think any wealthy town has the same problems, just MHO. Sea Cliff is lovely. Good luck in your house search!

Old 10-11-2010, 10:30 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,768,093 times
Quote:
Wel, I just moved from GC and I can see your point. However, I think any wealthy town has the same problems, just MHO. Sea Cliff is lovely. Good luck in your house search!

Couldn't agree more. I read an article by Newsday that Sea Cliff is the premier town for Victorian homes on Long Island. The OP should invest in one of those beauties.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:20 AM

thanks. looks like we are thinking about bidding on 2 very different houses; one a giant old victorian and the other a modern. We are pretty sold and it seems fairly utopian (but of course we are realistic, every town has issues) and just wanted to see if there were any red flags. I know this is a very 1st world issue but the driveways and roads may be tough on my near-midlife-crisis car, but that aside it seems pretty great.

On a side note, I had a heated argument with the cyo bball coach when we played sea cliff so i will have to smooth things over with him if I don't want my son to be 12th man off the bench.

Quote:

Last edited by kunk10; 10-11-2010 at 12:00 PM..

Old 10-11-2010, 11:57 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,107,193 times
I would chose Sea Cliff ANY day over FS! two totally different worlds...which one do you like better is the question?

Old 10-11-2010, 12:00 PM

Our hearts/monds are pretty set, the toughest thing will be moving the kids away from their friends. That is really the only hesitancy, well, that and selling our house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island