Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 07:54 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,466,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nassau2suffolk View Post
Not that they don't take breaks, but keep this in mind : most suffolk cops, like nassau cops, relieve each other on post and use the vollie house as the switching area. If a car goes unfilled due to manpower issues, it will never leave the parking lot until the next tour that has enough manpower to fill it.

Then there's a huge problem. In Wyandanch, there are only 2 cars assigned to the whole area. Sooooo, if these cars are sitting behind the fire house for hours on end, does that mean there are no cops on duty?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2010, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPool1998 View Post
I say, remove this teacher and bring someone else in and pay him/her more.

Are you kidding me???? "Remove the teacher" because the teacher showed the kids ONE movie???? How would you feel about being "removed" from your job for going on the internet, chatting with your buddies, running to the vending/coffee machine during non-break times or some other small indiscretion?? (not saying what the teacher did was an indiscretion)

Why are you so hyped up about this???? Do you think the world is going to come to an end because 25 3rd graders got a break from school work for 90 minutes to watch a movie?? A movie they could actually learn something from????

GET OVER IT ALREADY!

Don't worry, your kid is tucked away safe in a parochial school playing chess, doing science experiments, and listening to classical music. (And if you believe THAT, I've got a really nice bridge for sale!)

Old 10-14-2010, 08:58 PM

311 posts, read 1,019,301 times
I really do pity those kids forced to watch that Disney movie. One of those kids was going to be president one day. Another one was going to cure all cancer. And yet another one was going to lead the way towards world peace.

Now, because of that horrible, vile, mind-altering Disney movie "Cinderella", the kid who was going to be president is now going to be a busboy. The one who would have cured all cancer is going to be a gas station attendant, and the one who would have lead all mankind to world peace is going to be a lawyer.

This teacher should not just be fired immediately. She should be publicly tried, and if convicted, publicly stoned. Her family should have to move out of state effective immediately (or to Rocky Point). All of her teaching materials should be burned at halftime of the next JV Field Hockey game.

This is beyond disgraceful, this unimaginable catastrophe of higher learning. She should serve as a lesson to all future educators who dare let children watch a cartoon during class time. The punishment will be quick and severe, like a machete.

We cannot allow our childrens fragile, brainwashable little minds to be infiltrated with this garbage.

I have more to say, but I am off to watch Natural Born Killers and then play Grand Theft Auto with my 6 year old boy.

Old 10-14-2010, 09:29 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,106,564 times
1) teachers do not clock out when school dismisses, like most other jobs do
2) teachers perform school related work while home nights and weekends, again job NOT ending when the bell rings
3) a movie as a reward once in a while, nothing wrong with that! I have fond memories of being rewarded with a movie when our class (private school) won a contest or excelled in some way....it was a very special treat to watch a movie with classmates

How often are said movies being watched?

Old 10-14-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
1) teachers do not clock out when school dismisses, like most other jobs do
2) teachers perform school related work while home nights and weekends, again job NOT ending when the bell rings
3) a movie as a reward once in a while, nothing wrong with that! I have fond memories of being rewarded with a movie when our class (private school) won a contest or excelled in some way....it was a very special treat to watch a movie with classmates

How often are said movies being watched?
Let's not forget about the out of pocket money they spend for:

extra learning materials and educational decorations for the classrooms

extra things like notebooks, crayons, pens, pencils, etc that kids run out of and parents either don't or forget to send in

extra things like tissues, paper towels, hand sanitizers, disinfectant wipes, etc. Parents send these in at the beginning of the year (sometimes) and forget that they will eventually run out and don't send in more

The teachers do NOT get reimbursed for these items unless they itemize on their taxes and, even then, they can only deduct a portion of it.

In response to: How often are said movies being watched? This was ONE movie according to the OP. However, with his histrionic outrage, you would think this teacher is showing movies on a daily basis.

I wonder if his neighbor actually went to the principal over this??? If so, what a freaking moron!

Old 10-14-2010, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucew View Post
I really do pity those kids forced to watch that Disney movie. One of those kids was going to be president one day. Another one was going to cure all cancer. And yet another one was going to lead the way towards world peace.

Now, because of that horrible, vile, mind-altering Disney movie "Cinderella", the kid who was going to be president is now going to be a busboy. The one who would have cured all cancer is going to be a gas station attendant, and the one who would have lead all mankind to world peace is going to be a lawyer.

This teacher should not just be fired immediately. She should be publicly tried, and if convicted, publicly stoned. Her family should have to move out of state effective immediately (or to Rocky Point). All of her teaching materials should be burned at halftime of the next JV Field Hockey game.

This is beyond disgraceful, this unimaginable catastrophe of higher learning. She should serve as a lesson to all future educators who dare let children watch a cartoon during class time. The punishment will be quick and severe, like a machete.

We cannot allow our childrens fragile, brainwashable little minds to be infiltrated with this garbage.

I have more to say, but I am off to watch Natural Born Killers and then play Grand Theft Auto with my 6 year old boy.
Grab your torches and pitchforks.... Let's get this teacher!!!

LOVE THIS POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-15-2010, 06:08 AM

852 posts, read 2,016,890 times
Default I understand

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Let's not forget about the out of pocket money they spend for:

extra learning materials and educational decorations for the classrooms

extra things like notebooks, crayons, pens, pencils, etc that kids run out of and parents either don't or forget to send in

extra things like tissues, paper towels, hand sanitizers, disinfectant wipes, etc. Parents send these in at the beginning of the year (sometimes) and forget that they will eventually run out and don't send in more

The teachers do NOT get reimbursed for these items unless they itemize on their taxes and, even then, they can only deduct a portion of it.

In response to: How often are said movies being watched? This was ONE movie according to the OP. However, with his histrionic outrage, you would think this teacher is showing movies on a daily basis.

I wonder if his neighbor actually went to the principal over this??? If so, what a freaking moron!
So, your silence on the matter suggests that you can't defend showing cartoons in class. Yet, because you assume that it only happened once, you've mitigated the harm of showing cartoons. From that, you ridicule the idea that a parent in the district would have a problem with a teacher showing kids BECAUSE they only harm them a little.

Good argument.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:15 AM

852 posts, read 2,016,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post

Great point. She only attended one of the premier high schools in the country with one of the most active parent associations, and one of the best college placement rates in the county. I'm certain her sense of appropriate instruction is all out of whack. That she would DARE talk to the principal in her community's school, the school her own child attends, is CRAZY behavior.

Why do people defend showing cartoons in class WITHOUT explaining the benefits of doing so. Oh, so it could have been part of a lesson plan. Oh, okay. Taking a crap in class could be part of a lesson plan on soil production. Just because it can be rationalized doesn't mean it is GOOD. But nobody is identifying the merits. Nobody addresses the myriad alternatives and their obvious benefits, just my so-called "histrionics." Educational schools do not train teachers to show cartoons in class. Am I wrong?

Old 10-15-2010, 06:28 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,243,983 times
I think the OP is over reacting to the situation.

Old 10-15-2010, 07:23 AM

72 posts, read 218,628 times
Me thinks the OP is just playing cuckoo and wants to argue.

The merit is that in 2010, film is as valid a form of artistic expression as literature and music. Is it ok to listen to Beethoven in class? Is it Ok to study Micehangelo? Everything is not about math and science. Is it ok to read Aesop's fables (quite violent by the way)? In the 20th century, Cinderella is a classic tale. Sometimes seeing the movie is a catalyst to reading the book and learning how much different (and usually better) the book can be. Either way, there are pertinent themes in the movie that can be discussed amongst the class. You keep slighting it as just a "cartoon" as a way of bolstering your argument. Many would argue Cinderella is a classic piece of American cinema and a cornerstone of feature animation. Honestly, I am as OK with my kid getting a chance to see that as much as any other school endeavor. I'd rather a well rounded kid who can learn to think critically than one forced to learn rote information for a standardized test all day long. Plus, a movie is fun and engaging. Something we can all use in the workplace from time to time.

I mentioned seeing cartoons in school in the 70's. Another poster mentioned Duck Soup. Those experiences changed my life. For one, it allowed us to like school for a few moments. For another, we learned great vocabulary (anyone my age who says they didn't learn the words "despicable" or "magnanimous" from Daffy Duck is probably lying)! Seeing the Marx Brothers opened up a whole world of comedy and history. Much more than "just a movie." It created an APPRECIATION for things and a yearning to make similar and greater discoveries.

We get your indignation. You're entitled to it. You're argument seems to bounce from the teacher not doing her job to the benefits of seeing a movie in school as a general problem depending on the responses. I disagree on both points. It's a non-issue. It's also hearsay. It's also petty and annoying. I hope the teacher can defend herself from the knee-jerk alarmist parents who are going to raise a stink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island