Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 10:08 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Yes indeed it was an older train. The newer ones do have stronger seats.

So is there any reason you don't sit up straight? Sit like that at your morning barista meeting at Starbucks too?
I never really gave it much thought. Sometimes I sit up straight and other times I feel like putting knees up (usually when reading). It's a simple matter of comfort.

I will say that I don't do it on the older trains as I realize it pushes on the person in front of me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2010, 10:13 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,842,423 times
Do you still have the Bar car on the LIRR?

Old 10-20-2010, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
not that I know of. I think a couple of rush hour trains have the bar "cart" which is exactly what it sounds like. And IIRC he gets off in Jamaica.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:17 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,263,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostwriter1 View Post
Good grief. What a nightmare. Yes, one would think that civilized commuters should treat each other with decency, but many times that seems to be too much to ask. Last week, my morning commute was delayed due to the cops having to come onto the train at Jamaica to mediate a fight between two irate commuters.

My personal favorites are:
- the people who full force sit down ON you and squash you against the wall or onto the person on your other side so that you end up with half a seat. (Variations on this theme include: having a bag that does not belong to you on your lap, getting elbowed, kneed, having the bottom of another person's shoe sole making contact with your leg/pants/etc, having another person's newspaper literally on your face.)
- the people who morning and night always stand as close to the edge of the platform as possible trying to predict where exactly the train doors will open. When the train for some reason does not open at the location where they predicted, they quickly gallop, trample, stomp, push and shove anyone and everyone (including women holding children and the physically challenged) so that they can get on the train first neverminding the fact that the train isn't going anywhere for at least another 10 minutes and that everyone standing anywhere on the platform at that very moment will definitely get a seat.
- the people who do the most violent and forceful unprovoked pushing and shoving who then feel the need to call other people a host of vulgar names. (Going along these same lines- the people who step on the back of other people's feet and find nothing wrong with doing this and feel no need to apologize, yet the minute someone bumps into them, all hell breaks loose and they start cursing and practically give someone a beatdown.)

I'm glad most people here don't seem to routinely experience this. And hopefully they will continue not to.
Note to self: Do some extra marketing this week so you can continue working at home.

Yes, as someone who is on the smaller side, I can't tell you how many times someone with 100 pounds on me came at me arse first and practically sat on my leg.

Then you have the self-important blowhards who don't know how to do an eight-fold on a newspaper, and open it to its full width while crossing an ankle over one knee like they have the world's widest testicles.

If I weren't such a lady, I'd fart in their general direction.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:19 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times
You must be one of those Wednesday Matinee dowagers who think the LIRR is akin to the Orient Express.

Old 10-20-2010, 10:27 AM

13 posts, read 54,570 times
Quote:
No more bar cars. I think that went away sometime in the 90's? But as someone mentioned above, there is a bar "cart" on some platforms.

Speaking of alcohol- One of the all time highpoints of riding the LIRR was after working real late on a Friday night and then heading home on the train being seated behind a college-aged human vomit sprinkler who barfed all over the place in all directions as her equally drunk friend frantically tried to help her come up with excuses for when she got home to tell to her dad. ("Tell him you had food poisoning, you had a bad hamburger, etc...")

In order to get off at my stop, I had to back up the aisle, get a running start and practically pole vault over the gigantic pile of vomit on the floor while trying to avoid contact with any parts of the sides of all the seats, for they were all sprinkled with the same matter. I could have qualified for the Olympic team with that jump.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:00 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
first of all, if you're getting on in Long Beach, how are you not getting a seat EVERY morning? Secondly, LB trains are rarely that crowded that you have to stand going home. Simply walk towards the middle/back of the train. I wonder how much of your issues are easily corrected and/or simply in your head.
5:55 is 3 branches now...LB and 2 others. And if you get on the train like 5:54 or something it's def. possible to not get a seat.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:01 AM

1,144 posts, read 2,668,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
was it an older train? The senile old coots usually don't notice it when I push on the seat in the newer trains....lol.
The older trains are the best! IMO. The seats are slightly larger, the lights arent as bright, and no stupid annoying bing-bong and computer voice telling me how to walk over a gap.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:05 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,243,983 times
Quote:

As of this summer they still had a bar car on the Babylon line (6:33) - they roll the bar form the platform into the doorway of one car. They were supposed to stop it at the beginning of the summer but then it was extended for a bit so I am not sure what ever happened. Anyway, he would stay on until Seaford and then get off with the entire bar. Hicksville had one as recent as the spring too.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
5:55 is 3 branches now...LB and 2 others. And if you get on the train like 5:54 or something it's def. possible to not get a seat.
only if you insist on sitting in the first few cars. Plenty of room in the middle/back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island