Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 07:17 AM

939 posts, read 1,844,342 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
You can cut overtime and save hundreds of millions. And where in the contracts does it say they can include OT & Sick pay into their pension payouts? I hear the FD has a massive surplus. Maybe we can consolidate Fire Departments like you proposed w/SDs. Those Fhouses are pimped out and way too extravagant to begin with. Auction off some of the brand new $50k Tahoes that are completely unnecessary. Hey, if homeowners can take a 30%-75% haircut on their houses, everyone should be sacrificing. The unions used the bubble to extract $$ and raise taxes to the fullest extent. Now that houses are back to 2002 levels, union pay should follow suit!

A little exaggeration there. Put up a chart of PD headcount vs LI population headcount. If anything, population is about flat in Nassau county the last 5 decades while PD pay and headcount is up dramatically. Besides, with all the red light cameras we have now, we shouldn't be seeing 3 patrol units sitting side by side in their cozy heated vehicles - chatting in an empty parking lot.

1960 1,300,171
1970 1,428,080 9.8%
1980 1,321,582 −7.5%
1990 1,287,348 −2.6%
2000 1,334,544 3.7%
2008 1,351,625 census.gov

fyi- I respect NCPD & SCPD and almost every public servant. They should be paid well. It's a depressing and sometimes dangerous job and the high compensation prevents corruption. What I do not respect are out-of-touch unions and the fact that taxpayers are responsible for all union employees retirements @ 8% growth & healthcare for life and retirement at 40. Which, as people will see later on, was unsustainable.
You don't have a clue. Police staffing in Nassau today is comparable to what it was in the 1960s. Yet the cops have got a whole more to do than ever before, including an increase in service calls of several hundred-fold.

As for exaggerations, nobody retires at age 40 and you obviously missed or chose to ignore the discussion on the role of the 8% in the pension system. And the comment about red light cameras and three cars in the parking lot shows an incredible lack of knowledge of what a cop's job is.

You've made it your business on several threads to loudly whine and bash cops and other civil servants. But each of your posts displays a profound ignorance of the facts and a tendency toward the dramatic. I guess you just like to "shoot from the lip." Good luck with that.

Have a Merry Christmas.

Last edited by pdcnret; 12-24-2010 at 07:26 AM..

Old 12-24-2010, 01:59 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdcnret View Post
You don't have a clue. Police staffing in Nassau today is comparable to what it was in the 1960s. Yet the cops have got a whole more to do than ever before, including an increase in service calls of several hundred-fold.

As for exaggerations, nobody retires at age 40 and you obviously missed or chose to ignore the discussion on the role of the 8% in the pension system. And the comment about red light cameras and three cars in the parking lot shows an incredible lack of knowledge of what a cop's job is.

You've made it your business on several threads to loudly whine and bash cops and other civil servants. But each of your posts displays a profound ignorance of the facts and a tendency toward the dramatic. I guess you just like to "shoot from the lip." Good luck with that.

Have a Merry Christmas.
You're the one who is clueless. This Pequan's eyes are wide open to the abuses going on and I'm calling a spade a spade. I won't "hush up", what do you take me for some kind of scared peasant? This is the Internet, your badge and foolish thoughts that you are somehow an authority on this, is almost comedic. You claim everyone else is wrong, yet don't show where we are wrong. Because you know we speak the truth and too much information bothers some people. I suggest you reread the Empire Center's report on exploding pensions and learn the difference between Defined Contribution plans (real world) vs defined benefit plans (fantasy union world). And realize that 8% expected returns are not possible in the long run.

Calls are not up several hundred fold. That would mean calls are in the tens of millions in NC alone, not even close. You realize what several Hundred fold means?? And while population remained pretty much the same, pd headcount went from 1000 in the late 50's to 4000 in the 70's. And returned to about 2400 (so it's grown 150% faster than population). And this is NOT including villages foregoing county services and supplying their own police force.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rooseveltscolonel View Post
So clear it up for us. Explain why ot hours worked are almost always the highest during a cops last 3 years... What the pension is calculated from. Hmmmm....
he can't clear it up because he knows full well (like we all know) that is what is going on. I can tell you the response you should expect "I'm a former pd, you peasants go back to your football, you don't understand how the system works". ..

Old 12-24-2010, 02:02 PM

939 posts, read 1,844,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
You're the one who is clueless. This Pequan's eyes are wide open to the abuses going on. I won't "hush up", what do you take me for some kind of scared peasant? This is the Internet, your badge and foolish thoughts that you are somehow an authority on this, is almost comedic. You claim everyone else is wrong, yet don't show where we are wrong. Because you know I am right. I suggest you reread the Empire Center's report on exploding pensions and learn the difference between Defined Contribution plans (real world) vs defined benefit plans (fantasy union world). And realize that 8% expected returns are not possible in the long run.

Calls are not up several hundred fold. That would mean calls are in the tens of millions in NC alone, not even close. You realize what several Hundred fold means?? And while population remained pretty much the same, pd headcount went from 1000 in the late 50's to 4000 in the 70's. And returned to about 2400 (so it's grown 150% faster than population). And this is NOT including villages foregoing county services and supplying their own police force.
Drama, drama, drama ... It's not my job to do your research. It's just that my facts come from actually having experienced it ... not some website.

Old 12-28-2010, 06:07 AM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
Quote:
As most state and local governments are now discovering, you can't turn your back on tax increases to balance the budget. It's becoming readily apparent to those municipalities facing deficits that cutting spending alone won't accomplish it. In order to balance the budget purely with spending cuts, services would have to be cut well below acceptable levels. The police department is already at staffing levels it hasn't seen in almost five decades; yet calls for service have increased several hundredfold. The public won't stand still for no response to home burglaries, auto accidents and quality of life crimes. Despite all of the whining, the public still expects a basic level of service. There is no easy answer.
If NIFA decides to take over on Thursday the first order of business will be to freeze salaries, that may not balance the budget but it will be a first step.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:58 AM

2,851 posts, read 3,473,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
In NYS what's actually unconstitutional is diminishing or impairing municipal workers' pension payouts, not their current salary.

See the actual NYS Constitution:

New York State Constitution

Article 5 concerns civil service:

Look at Section 7, the result of a 1938 amendment to the NY State Constitution:

[Membership in retirement systems; benefits not to be diminished nor impaired]. After July first, nineteen hundred forty, membership in any pension or retirement system of the state or of a civil division thereof shall be a contractual relationship, the benefits of which shall not be diminished or impaired. (New. Adopted by Constitutional Convention of 1938 and approved by vote of the people November 8, 1938.)

While in the news story I quoted in my opening post, it said:

What's actually in the NYS Constitution refers to pension benefits, so Carver is not using the term "unconstitutional" in a precise way.

All of which is null and void when bankruptcy happens, which is exactly where Nassau is going.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:19 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
All of which is null and void when bankruptcy happens, which is exactly where Nassau is going.
Only problem is the pensions are New York State, not Nassau, plus the School Districts (highest pension costs to LI taxpayers) cannot go bankrupt.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:25 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Only problem is the pensions are New York State, not Nassau, plus the School Districts (highest pension costs to LI taxpayers) cannot go bankrupt.

All true.. plus there is 26 Billion up from 16 Billion in 09... just in the NYS Police pension fund alone

Old 12-28-2010, 12:43 PM

3,519 posts, read 2,820,274 times
Quote:
Drama, drama, drama ... It's not my job to do your research. It's just that my facts come from actually having experienced it ... not some website.
Without facts to back up your assertions, what you are describing is anecdotal evidence and is subject to the prejudices of your perception.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:50 PM

3,172 posts, read 6,743,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
All true.. plus there is 26 Billion up from 16 Billion in 09... just in the NYS Police pension fund alone
Yeah, if you use "mark-to-fantasy" accounting. If you use private sector (mark-to-market) accounting like the real world uses, it is essentially insolvent and on a path to bankruptcy. Any private sector pension fund with such huge unfunded liabilities would be seized by the govt in a heart-beat. You do realize people were saying the same thing about institutions like Fannie Mae & Freddie Mac..while the skeptics were warning people that danger was looming.. they were forced to mark to reality and what happened? De Facto Bankruptcy and government receivership (takeover).

Pension funds are using the same tactics the big insolvent banks used in 2008. They never marked down their assets properly, otherwise they would all be broken up and bankrupt as of 2 years ago. And you are not factoring in UNFUNDED PENSION LIABILITIES.

Old 12-28-2010, 02:43 PM

21 posts, read 44,198 times
I know I am late to this debate but the amount of taxes we all pay on LI and NY is insane. And a big part of that is what we pay our civil servants. It used to be that our teachers and police officers (most fine employees from my experiences) made less money in salaries but the trade off was a good pensioon and health benefits. But now, with reasonable OT, the total compensation for a cop when the value of benefits (health insurance, pension, social securty...) plus salary is over $200,000 per year. THat is way more than the average private sector employee. This is why our taxes are killing us. How the unions can be complaining about the miniscule givebacks they agree to is beyond me and insulting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island