Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 10:22 AM

20,046 posts, read 20,850,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomonlineli View Post
Gardiner's Island. You're going to need to know one of two people to get on the island. Plus, it's the oldest continuously family held piece of private real estate in the United States.

/thread
Don't tease...man I would give up one of my kids to live there...Ok, not one of my kids, but maybe my wife.

Old 10-23-2010, 10:27 AM

34 posts, read 95,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Sorry but there are no exclusive parts of LI that have gone the way of California -- such as buying a home in Beverly Hills for 10% of the price the last owner paid for it. Even the foreclosure insiders who snatch stuff all cash right when it goes on the courthouse steps cannot find a bargain like that on LI.
Thanks for outing me There have been some insane mispricings in the USA these last few months. As a contrarian, I plan to take advantage of the herd mentality and get in cheap if/where I can. I felt Long Island would be a nice place. The only problem is location - and my thanks goes out to all the other contributers to this thread who have shared their views.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
Otherwise let everyone know how much you can afford for a house / taxes and you can get some realistic answers.
Thank you for your generous words. The most I can afford in taxes is US10,000 per annum. Anything I buy will be rented out for a few years until markets stabilize.

Quote:
Yeah, anyone who uses "exclusive" and "affordable" in the same sentence is a pretender. Sounds like you should be taking your "exclusive affordable" out to Rocky Point.
I know nothing about Rocky Point. Is there something wrong with the place?

Old 10-23-2010, 11:05 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,769,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
No it's not. The Garden City Golf Club is.... a country club. ANd it's not like those places in Florida where you walk out your house and play golf.

There are 3 country clubs in GC and all of them have houses backing onto them, but if people are calling Garden City Golf Club a neighborhood now, that's a new on me (and DH, who lived there a loooong time).

Susan Lucci and Nelson DeMille live on that golf course but they are in mansions, not little townhouses getting hit by errant duffers.

Check the google map.

Old 10-23-2010, 02:02 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,028,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rainbowtokyo View Post
Thank you for your generous words. The most I can afford in taxes is US10,000 per annum. Anything I buy will be rented out for a few years until markets stabilize.
If you plan to rent it out, there's going to be all sorts of constraints in an "exclusive" town... Regardless, US$10k isn't going to get you much and you should drop the word exclusive completely from your vocabulary. Property in the towns mentioned in this thread will be 2, 3, 4+ times that amount. One thing a contrarian can't avoid and that's taxes... Especially on LI.

Quote:
I know nothing about Rocky Point. Is there something wrong with the place?
For the plans you have, it could actually be a decent option. You might want to start a thread about the "Most Affordable" part of LI. I'd bet you'll get half the responses mentioning the RP area.

Old 10-23-2010, 02:48 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Quote:
Yeah, anyone who uses "exclusive" and "affordable" in the same sentence is a pretender.

Sorry, OP - you've lost all credibility when you don't know enough about LI and that is has some very exclusive areas. Sounds like you should be taking your "exclusive affordable" out to Rocky Point. Otherwise let everyone know how much you can afford for a house / taxes and you can get some realistic answers.

Actually you could find both in Rocky Point. Sound Beach, Ridge and Miller Place too.

Theres some pretty nice affordable hideaways (and some Waterfronts) to be had from Mt Sinai thorough Wading River these days.
NE Brookhaven is a solid value IMHO.

Crooks

Old 10-24-2010, 02:22 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
What I'd like to know is...where is the most secluded and unpopulated area of LI?
Gardiners Island and Fishers Island. Both islands are certainly pretty private and exclusive, especially Gardiners.

However physically secluded and isolated on Long Island itself, I would have said Manorville. However parts of Manorville have been built up the last few years so it is less secluded. And while Manorville has its share of large houses, I would not call Manorville exclusive!

Old 10-24-2010, 03:38 PM

34,090 posts, read 47,285,846 times
there are parts of lawrence, hewlett, woodmere and cedarhurst that are as exclusive as it gets...especially back by the country club.

Forum TOS: //www.city-data.com/forumtos.html

Old 10-24-2010, 04:11 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Gardiners Island and Fishers Island. Both islands are certainly pretty private and exclusive, especially Gardiners.

However physically secluded and isolated on Long Island itself, I would have said Manorville. However parts of Manorville have been built up the last few years so it is less secluded. And while Manorville has its share of large houses, I would not call Manorville exclusive!

I THINK he means private. Not economically exclusive (since he wants affordability too) and I actually would put parts of non McMansion Manorville in that mix. North of the LIE is a fantastic.

As for private LI Isles. Centre would be my bet.

Gardiners,Shelter, Fishers and soon to be Plum are very private too.

Crooks

Old 10-28-2010, 02:57 PM

123 posts, read 279,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1nevets View Post
I knew about those exclusive areas of the Five towns for quite awhile. Despite giving evidence to this in another thread North Shore vs South Shore, two posters, "pequaman" and "shamgower" accused me of being insane(racist), petty and not lacking common sense. I'm happy to see someone posted more proof that I was correct about this little wealthy section of the South Shore. Believe or not, not all of the SS is as boring and bland as Massapequa. LOL! JK Pequaman
Lol, if all of the South Shore were as dull as Massapequa, there would be a 120 mile long coma epidemic in LI! Not that I know much about it, and I do believe the statistic that Hewlitt has the highest average income, there is nothing about the five towns, which are within spitting distance of JFK, that say "exclusivity" to me, unless, perhaps, you need to be an Orthodox Jew to move to the hood. (I was serious about that last part BTW. If you can only get into the community by meeting certain cultural standards, that is like the definition of exclusivity).

Old 10-28-2010, 03:01 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,973,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole111 View Post
Lol, if all of the South Shore were as dull as Massapequa, there would be a 120 mile long coma epidemic in LI! Not that I know much about it, and I do believe the statistic that Hewlitt has the highest average income, there is nothing about the five towns, which are within spitting distance of JFK, that say "exclusivity" to me, unless, perhaps, you need to be an Orthodox Jew to move to the hood. (I was serious about that last part BTW. If you can only get into the community by meeting certain cultural standards, that is like the definition of exclusivity).
What? I live in Cedarhurst and I am not Jewish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island