Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 09:39 AM

456 posts, read 1,428,214 times

Advertisements

Supposedly it's factored into this project, which is supposed to take *gasp* 10 years. The first few days of the official start of the project consisted of nothing but placing cones on the side of the street. I guess it's progress.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 10:05 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,705,960 times
Portion Road has been a nightmare during this project. I only deal with it once a week, and that is one time too many. I can not believe that it didn't become 2/2 or at least 1/1 with a dedicated turn lane at intersections and major shopping.

NYS DOT added 'traffic calming' islands on 25A in Setauket. Lots of fun when an emergency vehicle needs to pass. Also, some dolts coming out of the church parking lot have been crossing the raised island to make a left!

I wonder who got a raise for this?

Old 10-25-2010, 10:10 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,078,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
Also, some dolts coming out of the church parking lot have been crossing the raised island to make a left!
Always one of my favorites, I guess they feel empowered after received the good word for the day...

Old 10-25-2010, 10:42 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times
Quote:
Portion Road has been a nightmare during this project. I only deal with it once a week, and that is one time too many. I can not believe that it didn't become 2/2 or at least 1/1 with a dedicated turn lane at intersections and major shopping.

NYS DOT added 'traffic calming' islands on 25A in Setauket. Lots of fun when an emergency vehicle needs to pass. Also, some dolts coming out of the church parking lot have been crossing the raised island to make a left!

Probably more like someone created a shell company for the design aspect and charged "full American rates" for their services and then offshored the project for pennies on the dollar through elance, guru, etc. They will do it if they can get away with it.

Reminds me of this, where I questioned someone who asked questions about what Hempstead is like and what its problems are and said he is working on the redevelopment plan for Hempstead's downtown, but lives in Russia and "does not have time" to visit Hempstead:

//www.city-data.com/forum/14543608-post52.html

Plus he says he's never even been to the USA, but "justifies" himself as qualified to redesign Hempstead's downtown, as he is "an architect" and "social problems in USA, Russia, India, etc. are all the same."

//www.city-data.com/forum/14544114-post53.html

Old 10-25-2010, 10:58 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,030,004 times
Quote:

Traffic calming.

Anyway, there is plenty of room along most of 347 West of Stony Brook Road to have 2 lanes plus service roads going in each direction. Eliminate all but a few crossover points and where you have those, put in overpasses.

Once you hit Stony Brook Road area, you have businesses on top of the road, so it's a different issue.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:00 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,334,212 times
Portion road is a mess, its starting to look more and more like middle country road.... everyone living north of LIE between ronks and selden are so $crew*d !!
This is going to increase traffic on the already congested ronkonkoma ave, hawkins ave and patchogue-holbrook rd

Old 10-25-2010, 11:04 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBulletZ06 View Post
My parents live near portion and when they started clearing the sides we had figured that they were finally going to widen the road to include some turn lanes or make a 2/2 4-lane road. After much traffic, tearing up, purchased areas, and probably millions spent, we ended up with a wide road with islands in the middle?!!?!! Why did we take all this time and money just to make a road more useless?
Here's my question since your parents live near there. Sometimes when there is going to be a major construction/improvements project, they have a presentation for the public showing what is going to be done and the public can make comments. Do you know if anything like that was announced to your parents' community? I think we had all start paying more attention to the "junk mail" coming out of our local government.

Old 10-25-2010, 02:05 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,705,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Traffic calming.

Anyway, there is plenty of room along most of 347 West of Stony Brook Road to have 2 lanes plus service roads going in each direction. Eliminate all but a few crossover points and where you have those, put in overpasses.

Once you hit Stony Brook Road area, you have businesses on top of the road, so it's a different issue.
It's dicey east of the junction of 25/347 heading to SB Rd. There are businesses built or being built close to 347 (South side: Shopping center on Alexander Ave, Jared Jewelers, garden apartments, diner, PC Richards. North Side: Officemax, Friendly's, Tudor commons)

Not too many of the crossover points in that area could be eliminated without shifting more traffic into residential neighborhoods. SB road is crazy busy when SBU is in session; further south Hawkins north out of Ronkonkoma is a zoo at the end of the work day.

Moriches Rd (N of 347) funnels people out of St James, and some of us in SB use it to get to the mall by way of Mills Pond Rd. Most of SB doesn't as they are closer to SB Rd or Nicolls.

An overpass at Nicolls is desperately needed.

As much as I hate to say this, SB Road should be widened from SBU (either the new building or the South P lot) to 347.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:03 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,768,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
Not to mention all the lights are set so you have to stop at each and every one!

From what I was told if you speed the light will start to turn from yellow to red to slow you down.

Old 10-25-2010, 03:10 PM

1,919 posts, read 5,768,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
The people designing some of these projects want to slow you down, not make your travel more convenient. We're in for the same thing with 347 "improvement" project. I can't imagine what an utter disaster that is going to be. They're trying to create urban amenities in suburban areas, ie catering to pedestrians and bikes when virtually no one walks or bicycles anywhere.

What needs to be done with 347 is exactly what happened with Sunrise, although obviously you can't do it all the way out because there isn't enough width as you get into Terryville.

They had plans to do that from Hauppauge all the way to Mt. Sinai. There was too much community opposition, mostly from the 3v area. So they nixed the plans for 347 to be a limited access highway like Sunrise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island