Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 10:43 PM

135 posts, read 515,033 times

Advertisements

We live in Bay Shore. We have 2 kids not yet in Pre-K. We have seen a couple houses for sale that are in Shirley that are in the Longwood School District. It is in the area right next to Dowling College and the neighborhoods seem quiet with a mix of modest and very nice homes. I think it is bordering or very close to East Yaphank. Very close to Sunrise Highway and the LIE. We are looking there because the houses are bigger with LOTS more land and more amenities in the home than we have here. We like more of that country feel and close knit community and just don't feel it where we are right now. We currently live on a busy road.

Commute is not an issue for us.

So how does Bay Shore School District compare to this area of Shirley? We live in the Brightwater Farms area at the moment. But the place has had some shady characters walking around here at times and we have already had a break in.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 07:23 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,345,145 times
I had a long reply typed but decided to let this thread develop in to the train wreck it is sure to become.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:22 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,424,499 times
Lets get something straight, East Yaphank is a figment of peoples imagination. It exists only in their minds. It is not a real place.

Old 10-27-2010, 10:54 AM

149 posts, read 345,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
lets get something straight, east yaphank is a figment of peoples imagination. It exists only in their minds. It is not a real place.
walter !!!!! Your needed here

Old 10-27-2010, 11:10 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
I would stick to Bay Shore.

There are 2 "shady" areas of Bay Shore, I guess you are in one of them? Why not move to a nicer part? Bay Shore schools offer alot for the tax $.

Old 10-27-2010, 12:55 PM

I don't know anything about Yaphank or East Yaphank. Don't know the areas far east that well. But in the listing it says Section: East Yaphank, whatever that means.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:09 PM

I was looking up the Bay Shore schools info, and it doesn't really look any different than Longwood in terms of average test scores, etc. It's confusing. Some say Bay Shore schools are good some say they are really bad, but no one says why really. I am on Manatuck Blvd in Brightwater Farms area. My neighbors are nice all around, but a bit further here and there and it's just iffy. The people are constantly throwing trash in front of our house, our house was broken into, there are weird characters around. I think we are in the best area, so the realtor told me lol.

We got a good deal on the house we're in now, so we can't afford better around here, we'd have to go further East to have everything in a home we want. The houses I'm interested in would leave me right next door to Dowling, so I would transfer from my current school to there. I just want to know what people's opinions are on both school districts, hoping those who have kids in them can describe and tell me their experiences.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:40 PM

1,917 posts, read 5,345,145 times
East Yaphank may not exist but it does narrow down what part of Shirley is being spoken of. Shirley is pretty large, stretching from the LIE all the way down to the bay. Saying you live in Shirley is very vague.

Old 10-27-2010, 01:49 PM

6,384 posts, read 13,159,566 times
Littlepawsinn are you south or north of the Southern State Parkway?

Old 10-27-2010, 01:53 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,424,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
East Yaphank may not exist but it does narrow down what part of Shirley is being spoken of. Shirley is pretty large, stretching from the LIE all the way down to the bay. Saying you live in Shirley is very vague.
Understood but say it's by the airport, or some other landmark. Perpetuating the idea that "East Yaphank" is a different town is bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island