Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-27-2010, 09:11 PM

71 posts, read 189,512 times

Advertisements

I once heard that it's possible to pay to send a child to this district. Can anyone verify this or is it just a rumor. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 10:04 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,553,426 times
Many school districts do accept non-resident children, charging them a non-resident tuition on a space-available basis.

Check with the school district's Office of the Superintendent for non-resident tuition charges and availability.

Depending on where the non-resident child is traveling from, there may also be additional transportation costs involved.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:22 PM

Thanks Walter, would you or anyone know of a reason why someone would live outside of a great school district and send the child there, as opposed to moving into the district and get the education for free? And let's say that home prices are not a factor, that the family could afford a home there but choose not to reside there? I found on a Three Village document their tuition rates for non-residents...If I'm reading it correctly, it begins at $9,000.00 in Kindergarten, and in 7th grade and up the tuition rises to 12k per year.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:07 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,553,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinuetM View Post
Thanks Walter, would you or anyone know of a reason why someone would live outside of a great school district and send the child there ...
I do not know. Hopefully, someone who knows will post a comment.

Quote:
... as opposed to moving into the district and get the education for free?
Free, no. School district property taxes are quite high.

Old 10-30-2010, 01:17 AM

23,863 posts, read 32,125,181 times
Well there are several ways to do this.
There are also many reasons that I can think of, why someone cannot instantly relocate to 3Village.
Perhaps these people own a home elsewhere and cannot sell it.
While rents around LI seen pretty similar - purchase prices do not.

Rent and down payment on a half million dollar house are two very different things.

Old 10-30-2010, 03:16 AM

1,919 posts, read 5,747,328 times
Quote:
Thanks Walter, would you or anyone know of a reason why someone would live outside of a great school district and send the child there, as opposed to moving into the district and get the education for free? And let's say that home prices are not a factor, that the family could afford a home there but choose not to reside there? I found on a Three Village document their tuition rates for non-residents...If I'm reading it correctly, it begins at $9,000.00 in Kindergarten, and in 7th grade and up the tuition rises to 12k per year.

What free education? You pay for that education with your property tax. I have no kids but I pay to make sure all the rugrats in my town gets an education.

Old 10-30-2010, 11:50 PM

Sorry, I didn't mean "free", just not a separate tuition bill. Where I live my taxes are $9k and I've seen some 3-bedroom homes in the Three Village district with similar tax rates or less.

I will be in touch with their Superintendent's office next week to inquire. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island