Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 04:13 AM

6 posts, read 14,643 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdons55 View Post
Years ago, one of my coworkers friends had a similar situation, turned the electricity off, the tenant was on section 8. This dirt bag was a professional at his game, went and reported the landlord, they wasted no time contacting him; he was given one hour to turn it back on, or face charges. When you rent, make sure the place is legal & registered with the town, pay your annual fees, contact a real estate find out how they go about what their rules & regulations are as to renting an apartment, take it from there whether you want to use them or not. They usually charge a one time fee such as one month rent, one month security & one month rent; can be costly to the renter. It may be worth it if they collect the rent & are in charge of evictions just in case it would occur. The home owner has no rights, once one of these creeps get into the apartment, pull that stunt, they'll proudly walk pass you as though everything's OK. First step would be to get a background check, once all is clear, pay an attorney to write out a lease in your terms, make sure their SS# is included for court purposes, have it notarized, & go from there, but forget about turning anything off, big mistake.

Don
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
I ABSOLUTELY agree with your statements. The worst thing a property owner can do in NYC, NYS, anywhere, is to shut off any of your tenant's essential services. Definitely big trouble.
In NY, once any person occupying your property, whether authorized or not, has been there for a period of 30 days, they have legally become a resident tenant. This means that you must treat them as such, and if you wish to have them removed, you MUST go through the courts.
Any thing less than that, is still tricky but your options are increased slightly. Changing the locks is an option, but the police can be called and will usually direct you to either change them back or give a copy of the keys to these people, right then.
This is called an 'illegal lockout', and penalties exist[though not too severe, just time consuming, and of course, time is money]. The cops will usually tell you to take it to court, and will inform tenants likewise. If you can prove that these people are 'squatters', and they moved in without permission, or paperwork, that too must be decided for judgment in courts, as well.

In Nassau County, you can't legally evict someone without the Sheriff, and the Sheriff won't conduct an eviction without the owner securing a licensed, insured, and bonded private mover to 'store' their belongings. The cost for a 3br house filled with furnishings is approx. $4800... and they must be paid first. Otherwise, all you have is a judgment for possession, and an unenforced one at that. Just a piece of paper that gives you no rights unless enforced by sheriff. If these people owe rent, usually the case, owners suffer business losses, and added insulted injury is additional $5k on top of the atty costs, loss of rental income, a continuing mortgage, taxes, etc...
Finally, you don't need a mover in the 5 boros of NYC. Owners are simply responsible for any belongings for 30 days, and after that , you can sell, craigslist post, or throw them curbside. No added fees for storage, unless you need to remove them immediately for repairs and prep for new tenant search. Usually the case but any public storage facility will do, after the City Marshall has conducted an eviction formally.

In short, as landlords we must do our homework before signing over your property to essential strangers.... background checks, background checks, background checks.... did I forget to mention background checks!!!!

Last edited by nyc nassau acquisition; 09-01-2014 at 04:14 AM.. Reason: post script
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 04:25 AM

Also, a legally prepared lease agreement that is tailored to you and your specs, is your best ally not 'if' but 'when' you go to court.
by all means, if you see something say something, ASAP, in in writing. Sometimes, notices need to be mailed certified, return receipt, to prove that info was received or sent even.

Proactive landlords are the most successful, at least more headache free, and can avoid getting caught up in tenant drama, and they come with so much drama.
Move in checklists to document conditions of rental property, with pics too, are great steps to take,too.

Government issued photo ID copy is another step in being proactive. If nothing else, you know that the person whose SS# you receive is the same as the person you may have as a tenant.

If I sound as though I am preaching, I don't mean to .... It is merely the voice of experience you hear... I've been there, and 'once you know better, you do better'...

Old 09-01-2014, 04:38 AM

Another thing...I'm on a roll here!

If you have property that you use for rental purposes, especially if you don't reside there, then consider it as a business.....because it in fact is business...your business!

It is investment property and therefore a business holding from which you want to see positive returns. We aim to remain in the black, and not in the red, on the whole.
It must come with a plan, documented and well thought out, with provisions in place for the what ifs. Proactive and carefully monitored and sometimes, micro managed, til it runs smoothly.
If there is not enough time for this in your schedules, then property managers come into play. They are there to take many of the headaches from you. At cost, though, and it is often worth it.

A lot on my mind at 5am...investment property without the prop mgr keeps you up late at night.

Old 09-01-2014, 11:57 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,404,961 times
Does Nassau county require landlords of single family ho mes to register rentals

Old 09-01-2014, 12:55 PM

3,264 posts, read 2,301,715 times
To all of the illegal apartment landlords....

I find it hard to sympathize with any of you. While I agree that a tenant should not be a deadbeat, you are really no better than the tenants. You are all cheating the government out of taxes. You are also cheating NYS and the IRS out of income tax (for those of you who do not report the income). You are allowing the overcrowding of schools and added police and garbage service by allowing these tenants to live there. They aren't paying the extra taxes it costs for these services. I had a house with a an apartment in the full finished basement. Everything except a stove was down there. Even had an outside seperate entrance. I never rented. I wouldn't even think of it as an option. I don't need deadbeats living down there any more than I would need to be fined for having an illegal apartment. I chose not to break the law. Those of you with illegal apartments chose to break the law. You deserve what you get. If you use the argument that you need the extra income to afford the high taxes, then blame yourselves for those high taxes. You overcrowded the schools, so now we need more teachers and schools. I bet if you took out every student that lives in illegal apts out of schools, it would reduce the total by 50%. If you cannot afford the taxes and need the extra income,either make it legal or sell your house. I wouldn't live in a house I cannot afford why should you? And thanks for loading the street with extra cars. I can barely park in front of my own house in Nassau County. It looks more like Queens.

That's all. All I am saying is that you have no problem when all goes well so you shouldn't be complaining when something goes wrong. You are as bad as the deadbeat renter because you are also one. I am sure this won't be a popular post but I never agreed or with or likes the idea of illegal apartments. It is ruling the Island.

Old 09-01-2014, 01:15 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,459,198 times
Threads like this make me realize why I will never rent out without a 6mo security deposit plus 1st and last months rent.

Old 09-01-2014, 07:30 PM

3,264 posts, read 2,301,715 times
One last thing... A landlord cannot act as a utility company. In other words, you cannot turn off the electricity or heat even when the tenant is racking up the bills for you to pay. The way around it is to get a second electrical box for PSEG and make the tenant put the account in their own name. That way, if they stop paying, PSEG can cut them off. As for the heat, all you could do is control their heat with a thernostat that they have no access to. You can't turn it off but you can keep it cooler. If you rent an entire house, make the tenant put the oil contract in their name. Same problem solved. No money = no more service from the utility companies and you will be off the hook.

I will never rent to anyone. Not worth it when they stop paying and then leave the windows open in the winter just to make your heating bills higher.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 3,243 times
Hello, my Section 8 Landlord is trying to get anther $50 without going through the Legal way. He's been charging $30 a month since Dec. 2013, when I rescued a Dog. I called my Local Section 8 and I was told both things that he's doing is Illegal. I'm telling him about what he needs to do to raise the rent but I'm worried about my Dog. I'm just scared that after he finds out he shouldn't even be charging me for my Dog, b/c that's considered "A Side Deal" and that's not allowed, that he might just say, well, the Dog can't stay. He's been here over a year. My Landlord is really trying to get what he can out of me. He owns the Hose in front of me, but the Mom said my Landlord hasn't told her about a Rent Raise and that if he does, she's just going to come out and say, "Not without going to Section 8 first and get a written request. He can only get a 2% raise.

Old 05-06-2015, 04:00 PM

50 posts, read 68,051 times
Sorry you have to go through this bs!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island