Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2010, 10:36 AM

748 posts, read 2,880,428 times

Advertisements

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/23/ny...etjournal.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/23/ny...er=rss&emc=rss
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2010, 11:28 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,684,014 times
More liberal social engineering by overpaid "educators".

Old 10-28-2010, 06:18 PM

74 posts, read 206,939 times
Did you even read the article? Unfortunately, kids need to be taught morals/values because the wrong values are being taught in the home. Clearly, these students aren't making up stereotypes on their own.

The only issue I have is that a teacher is being paid to teach a class, but they say the class has no exams, etc...Do the students receive credit for this class? I think the students should challenge and think about issues such as discrimination, privilege, and oppression, but the teacher in charge needs to be intelligent enough to provide both sides of an argument and then let the kids evaluate where they stand on certain issues. Personally, I think 8th grade is a bit too young to have an intelligent discourse. This is better left up to 11-12th grade students in a Government/Sociology class.

Old 10-28-2010, 07:28 PM

456 posts, read 1,118,901 times
So...no homework, no tests, etc?? I can just see every kid in the building wanting to take this class. You need to have some set of standards, hopefully high ones, that will challenge the students.

I think we are getting a little too politically correct in this country. We really don't need a class in school teaching kids not to discriminate. This is something that the parents should be teaching at home. Schools aren't meant to take over the parenting that should take place at home.

Old 10-29-2010, 09:12 AM

244 posts, read 538,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDMBA View Post
I think we are getting a little too politically correct in this country. We really don't need a class in school teaching kids not to discriminate. This is something that the parents should be teaching at home. Schools aren't meant to take over the parenting that should take place at home.
But the parenting that SHOULD be going on isn't. And even if it is, parents have a minimal effect on how kids interact in social units without the parents around.

Yes, there are times "politically correct" goes too far, but if you think teaching kids not to judge others on appearance, the sport of their choice or worst of all race is unnecessary, you are incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
More liberal social engineering by overpaid "educators".
You're proving the point of these classes.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:57 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,218,769 times
Quote:
So...no homework, no tests, etc?? I can just see every kid in the building wanting to take this class. You need to have some set of standards, hopefully high ones, that will challenge the students.

If kids attend school with other kids of diverse backgrounds in a balanced environment (meaning no 1 ethnic/racial group making up a huge majority) they tend to naturally learn not to discriminate because they get to know kids of other groups as PEOPLE on a personal basis (not static "representatives of XYZ race, religion or nationality") and make friends outside of their own group. I saw this myself with younger siblings who went to a different school district than I did (family moved after I was out of school).

Old 10-29-2010, 04:09 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,464,300 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krewat View Post
But the parenting that SHOULD be going on isn't. And even if it is, parents have a minimal effect on how kids interact in social units without the parents around.

Yes, there are times "politically correct" goes too far, but if you think teaching kids not to judge others on appearance, the sport of their choice or worst of all race is unnecessary, you are incorrect.

You're proving the point of these classes.

Actually its completely out of bounds. While America is considered a "melting pot" (personally, I don't think so lately), you also have the complete right to be as bigoted, racist, sexist, or whatever as you wish to be. Feel good crap like this probably doesn't do anything other then give kids something to laugh about. If my kid was in it, they'd be out and taking a course thats actually going to mean something in life.

Your bit about "worst of all race" is interesting as far as a socio-engineering is concerned. Teaching or thinking that one thing is more wrong then the other when they are literally the same thing just with different applications is troubling to say the least. So making fun of a "dumb jock" is more OK then "nappy-headed hoes". Is there a list of whats merely slightly-wrong when judging someone based on a preconcieved opinion?

Old 10-29-2010, 05:45 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,442,750 times
Quote:
. We really don't need a class in school teaching kids not to discriminate. .

We obviously do. Kids aren't being taught this at home, so maybe they'd be better off to learn it in school.

The other day at my child's school, some boy was making fun of a girl because she's Jewish. He kept making fun of her until she was in tears. Gee, I wonder what HE'S learning at home?!?!? Obviously nothing good or right.

Old 10-29-2010, 05:50 PM

4,502 posts, read 13,442,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PreciousMonster View Post
Did you even read the article? Unfortunately, kids need to be taught morals/values because the wrong values are being taught in the home. Clearly, these students aren't making up stereotypes on their own.
Most likely, learning the stereotypes at home and carry it over into school

Quote:
The only issue I have is that a teacher is being paid to teach a class, but they say the class has no exams, etc...Do the students receive credit for this class? I think the students should challenge and think about issues such as discrimination, privilege, and oppression, but the teacher in charge needs to be intelligent enough to provide both sides of an argument and then let the kids evaluate where they stand on certain issues. Personally, I think 8th grade is a bit too young to have an intelligent discourse. This is better left up to 11-12th grade students in a Government/Sociology class.

I agree with everything except the part about it being for 11-21th grade. Teaching like this should start when kids are young --- once they're 16 or 17, those prejudices are so ingrained in them, it's near impossible for them to truly change.

They should be teaching it in all grades with age-appropriate materials.

I also think there should be homework, projects, papers, and tests in a class like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island