Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 06:53 AM

244 posts, read 540,185 times

Advertisements

Took a road-trip into Brooklyn the other day, after not having been anywhere near the place for the past 5 years or so.

Saw a NYC police cruiser disguised as a taxi, complete with "on/off duty" top-hat, taxi number, "NYC taxi" graphics on the doors, everything.

Going to, and coming from Brooklyn, I saw this "taxi cab" on the opposite side of the road with someone pulled over.

Not sure if this has been mentioned anywhere, or it's old news, but based on how shiny the vehicle was, it's brand-new
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2010, 07:04 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,026,884 times
If there's any road in this area that needs more enforcement, it's the Belt.

Morons drive on this winding road with numerous dips in it like they're on the LIE, or even the Autobahn. My whole family was nearly wiped out by guidos drag racing a Vette and BMW on this road in heavy traffic on a weekend..weaving in and out of traffic, I had to stop short because the guy in front of me did, while the guido was in mid lane change at about 90MPH..just missed crushing us, inches to spare.

Every other day you hear about cars flipped over. It's a very dangerous road and people are really crazy on it.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:04 AM

87 posts, read 270,349 times
There are a few of those in queens.

The best undercover I've seens was an old beat up green dodge caravan.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:05 AM

372 posts, read 740,237 times
I've seen the taxi cop twice in nassau county, once recently and once a while back. I've also seen people getting pulled over by a chevy minivan, a 1990's blazer and I've gotten pulled over by a Jeep Cherokee, the cop told that you never know who's watching...

They need to do more of that in Queens an BK, I mean I have no problem with those who drive a little aggressive, but in Queens they just take it to a 'nother level and have no consideration for other drivers.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
I wholeheartedly agree. However, plainly-marked cruisers driving around have a better effect than an undercover taxi cab

By the way, I didn't mean this like a "all you speeders, slow down when you see a taxi cab". I meant it more as a "hey all you speeders, slow down in the first place, because they are out to get you". This is a public-service announcement for the people who drive like normal people

Old 10-29-2010, 07:10 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,342,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post

Morons drive on this winding road with numerous dips in it like they're on the LIE, or even the Autobahn. My whole family was nearly wiped out by guidos drag racing a Vette and BMW on this road in heavy traffic on a weekend..weaving in and out of traffic, I had to stop short because the guy in front of me did, while the guido was in mid lane change at about 90MPH..just missed crushing us, inches to spare.

Every other day you hear about cars flipped over. It's a very dangerous road and people are really crazy on it.

Drama queen.
For the record, the number of cars flipped over on the Bely Pkwy for the entire month of September is zero. I'll let you know about Oct in a few days.
Glad you survived the stopping-short incident. Sounds like it could have been tragic.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
For the record, the number of cars flipped over on the Bely Pkwy for the entire month of September is zero.
All it would have taken is one screw-up by an innocent person, and the blonde in the white BMW SUV doing 90MPH switching lanes would have easily flipped that lovely huge tin-can. Of course, she slowed right back down to 60 (while traffic was doing 70) when she needed to talk on the cell-phone

Must have passed, and been passed by, that SUV about 5 times in a space of 10-15 minutes.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:29 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,499,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krewat View Post
I wholeheartedly agree. However, plainly-marked cruisers driving around have a better effect than an undercover taxi cab

By the way, I didn't mean this like a "all you speeders, slow down when you see a taxi cab". I meant it more as a "hey all you speeders, slow down in the first place, because they are out to get you". This is a public-service announcement for the people who drive like normal people
Unmarked police vehicles are best for ticket enforcement. I hope Nassau and Suffolk convey to unmarked vehicles for highway patrol like most other states.

Ticket revenue would increase ten fold.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:45 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,026,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
Drama queen.
For the record, the number of cars flipped over on the Bely Pkwy for the entire month of September is zero. I'll let you know about Oct in a few days.
Glad you survived the stopping-short incident. Sounds like it could have been tragic.

When you see a car driven by a senseless beast doing 90MPH just miss rear ending you with inches to spare..with your toddler in the back seat..you talk to me about being a drama queen, junior.

Old 10-29-2010, 07:51 AM

939 posts, read 2,310,478 times
i see them all the time in midtown... always amusing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: