Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2010, 11:05 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,231,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Then there are the utterly charming people who use leaf-blowers and other loud landscaping equipment at 7:30 on a Sunday morning.

True. Timing is everything. Sunday am is always a bad time for loud noise
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 03:15 PM

162 posts, read 382,026 times
whats so bad for a sunday morning as opposed to saturday morning, its holy? what about for unholy people

Old 10-30-2010, 04:11 PM

188 posts, read 414,798 times
This peeves me as well. I take out my commercial backpack blower as soon as they leave and blow it right back towards the neighbor. If they don't like it, they can go stick it.

Old 10-30-2010, 05:42 PM

886 posts, read 2,637,265 times
I used to worry about my neighbor's leaves but realized it was my neurotic tendencies causing me undo stress.Now I just pick a couple days about three weeks apart and make the best of it.Toss on the Ipod with either bluegrass or some blues and I just go to it.After Thanksgiving what blows in stays in.Really folks.....why let ruin your day.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:15 PM

19,629 posts, read 20,441,176 times
I blow all my leaves onto my neighbors property around 6:30AM on Sunday mornings.
What?

Old 10-30-2010, 07:10 PM

3,730 posts, read 5,723,604 times
You have every right to be absolutely infuriated. Leaf-free lawns are some sort of 'shared community value' in most neighborhoods (one reason we chose to buy in an area of heavily wooded estates, where people have different 'shared community values' than obsessive neatness). So, by blowing leaves onto your lawn (and I'm assuming we're not talking about a few stray leaves, but the momser actually walking with the blower to the edge of your property, and deliberately blowing them in your direction), the landscaper put you in violation of those 'shared values'. I would view that as both an affront and 'material damage'. I would have been out on the street screaming death threats and extreme obscenities at the fool, so your contretemps is mild, compared to what could have happened.

Last year, some moron on a gigantic riding mower was coming onto my property, and turning that monstrosity around on the lawn in front of my personal office. He had the blade on the thing set on 'Scalp', and was cutting deep gouges into my expensive green velvet Zoysia, which I personally kept cut, with a little reel mower (cleaner cut...less soil compaction...no fumes... photo op for local paper...me in a Chanel suit & Cross-trainers, in front of my little Ionic-columned Petit-Petit-Petit-Trianon of an office, mowing & waving... and I could talk on a headset, while mowing...really pleasant way to take a boring conference). Anyway, I screamed such threats and insults at the poor zhlub (and his assistants), he quit all his clients in our little town... started doing yards on the other side of the Metro.

So, you should feel absolutely saintly, compared to me. I felt horrible. Then again, that lawn looked horrible for half that summer, because of his little incursion.

BTW, a place as enlightened as Long Island surely has community or county compost centers. Right? And most people there do have corners of their properties designated as compost corners. Right? I mean, most people out there, instead of raking, mow their leaves with mulch bags attached to their mowers, and use those valuable ground-up leaves in their borders, to help frost-proof their plantings and build their soil. Right?

Old 10-31-2010, 08:58 PM

15 posts, read 34,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Nothing like skidding on wet leaves and hitting a tree to ruin your day.
Try slowing down when you see wet leaves on the roadway....it's the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island